Texas Fishing Forum

Can a fly line make a rod cast better?

Posted By: bradtex

Can a fly line make a rod cast better? - 05/02/19 12:25 AM

I have a Cortland rod, part of a combo kit. The rod is ok, makes me appreciate my TFO much more.
I'm wondering if upgrading to a better quality fly line would get better casting results.
Posted By: keebranch

Re: Can a fly line make a rod cast better? - 05/02/19 01:00 AM

What weight rod is your Cortland set up? Sometimes it's beneficial to up line a rod to get it to load better for example using. WF7 on a six weight rod.

Les
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Can a fly line make a rod cast better? - 05/02/19 01:09 AM

Sometimes combos come with pretty poor line.
Posted By: bradtex

Re: Can a fly line make a rod cast better? - 05/02/19 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by keebranch
What weight rod is your Cortland set up? Sometimes it's beneficial to up line a rod to get it to load better for example using. WF7 on a six weight rod.

Les

My thoughts exactly, it's a 6wt, and was thinking about loading it with 7wt but I'm still kind of new at this at wanted to run past someone first.
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: Can a fly line make a rod cast better? - 05/02/19 01:53 AM

A whole bunch of the new lines are a half or more heavier than what they are rated
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Can a fly line make a rod cast better? - 05/02/19 02:54 AM

No harm in going one or even two heavier.
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: Can a fly line make a rod cast better? - 05/02/19 11:39 AM

Not referring to line weights here, just the quality of the line - yes, a better line will 100% give you better results. It will be a noticable difference.
Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: Can a fly line make a rod cast better? - 05/03/19 12:28 AM

Also, application specific lines can make things much easier. It is not fun, for instance, to throw big weighted streamers with a trout line, but a more aggressive taper and a shorter leader can make it much easier and more enjoyable.
Posted By: YAKnIT

Re: Can a fly line make a rod cast better? - 05/03/19 11:07 PM

I second all the advice above - yes, a better line might help and yes, a heavier line might help. Take your outfit to a fly shop and ask to try out different lines. That's how I buy fly lines now. Put It on your rod and try it out. They will probably put the line on your reel for no charge.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Can a fly line make a rod cast better? - 05/05/19 02:24 PM

A better quality line will help. A heavier line may or may not help; it depends on the rod and on your casting skill. Not sure why some people prescribe to the notion that overlining a rod is always better.
Posted By: wytex

Re: Can a fly line make a rod cast better? - 05/06/19 05:37 PM

Are you using a weight forward line ?
Posted By: COFF

Re: Can a fly line make a rod cast better? - 05/08/19 04:24 PM

When you are talking about lower end rods, IMO the line at least equal to if not more important than the rod itself. I have yet to find a rod that will cast a bad line well.
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Can a fly line make a rod cast better? - 05/08/19 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by COFF
When you are talking about lower end rods, IMO the line at least equal to if not more important than the rod itself. I have yet to find a rod that will cast a bad line well.

You got that right COFF...Can't agree more. clap
Posted By: fshng84

Re: Can a fly line make a rod cast better? - 05/11/19 01:39 PM

May be of interest to some... Playlist of videos where we demo in reply to a question posed to the team about what was most important when purchasing a fly rod/reel...
- quality fly line
- then the fly rod
- and then the fly reel
- noting that the fly reel may move up in priority when the fish pursued requires a quality drag ...like a bruiser fish that needs to be fought with the reel and rod.

Here is the post from our blog that started this effort...
Fly Casting Without Rod or Reel

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: Can a fly line make a rod cast better? - 05/12/19 11:58 PM

Like everyone said you will see a difference with better line. That being said you don’t have to spend $80 on Rio line to see an improvement. On two of my reels I have Rio lines (Grand and Smallmouth) on my 4wt I have Blue Halo Ripple and I think it’s comparable to the Rio at half the price.

My 6wt is an Academy All Star rod with a Cortland Crown II reel loaded with Rio Grand. The line made a big difference and it’s my second favorite combo now since putting the new line on. My 8wt is a TFO with Rio Smallmouth and honestly I don’t care for it. The line is just way too stiff. I have tried to stretch it several times and still it’s too stiff to cast varry well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum