Texas Fishing Forum

A Little Marsh Action

Posted By: karstopo

A Little Marsh Action - 06/09/18 11:23 AM

I think I’ve been in the seat of my Commander kayak 2 times this year. This afternoon was the second time. I almost missed out on that when I drove to Surfside and saw the gorgeous blue green surf. I stared at the water but nothing ever showed, so off to the marsh it was.

First cast into the falling tide got me a good take. Wait a minute, can we try that again I wasn’t ready? I cast around the spot as if the fish was really listening and ready to comply.

Moved into a muddy zone of about a foot of water. There were mud boils here and I fancy I can tell a redfish from a mullet. Turns out I can’t since I got a sheepshead instead. So that’s like number 4, I’m batting about .002 on those.

More boils, more fish, this time a redfish. Then how about another. That vein played out and I moved to the edge of a deep channel. Cast, take, run, nothing. Next time, I’ll check my tippet to mid section blood knot. Maybe another fish or two. Took on water when a giant snapper charter blew by. Decided that was my cue to exit. I was way out of kayaking with the fly rod shape. But it was fun. Got the juices flowing for sure.

Never picked up another rod ( brought two others) except the 7/8 weight CGR. Redfish are a lot of fun on that rod. The biggest redfish to hand went about 5 pounds and took off with the shrimp fly as it hit the water. I didn’t realize what was going on until I noticed my fly line had very rapidly moved about 30 degrees to port. That same fish then moved into some shell and afterward briefly got tangled up in a crab trap. I just got lucky repeatedly with the fish but that happens. It did fray my 13# fluorocarbon so I tied in some 15# and that’s when the blood knot failed. I like all the drama that redfish on the fly present.

Posted By: Canoeman1947

Re: A Little Marsh Action - 06/09/18 03:14 PM

Glad you were able to get out and hook up with a few. Does your new hip give you any trouble getting in and out of the kayak?

Larry
Posted By: karstopo

Re: A Little Marsh Action - 06/09/18 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Canoeman1947
Glad you were able to get out and hook up with a few. Does your new hip give you any trouble getting in and out of the kayak?

Larry

The new hip is great. Gives me no trouble. Living on a lake gives me the most trouble. I get to scratch the fishing itch about every day. But as much as I like fooling Largemouth bass on deer hair divers, a redfish making a hard run in skinny water is hard to beat.
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: A Little Marsh Action - 06/10/18 01:08 AM

Very nice! I have caught exactly one sheepshead after sight casting to hundreds of them in the last twenty years. Guess that puts me at .000001.
Im headed to Port Mansfield in another week. Cant wait to pole around in the salt again!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum