Texas Fishing Forum

Colorado Springs Tips

Posted By: ArlingtonTroy

Colorado Springs Tips - 06/07/18 09:17 PM

Headed to Colorado Springs (Woodland Park to be exact) for an extended weekend the last week of June. I have done quite a bit of research and basically see that different areas along the South Platte will be the best bet. I have always been a do it myself kind of guy and ideally would like to give a few spots a go before hiring a guide.

Any recommendations on where you would start that time of year, dream stream, chessman, 11-mile etc? Would you skip any of those for the others? We are staying on Trout Creek, do any of the smaller creeks have good fishing or is it mostly the tailwaters in the area?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Colorado Springs Tips - 06/07/18 10:55 PM

First thing I would do is call the nearest fly shop. Colorado and northern New Mexico are in extreme drought and many national forests are closed. Other than that, I have fished both 11 mile and Chessman. Chessman, the day I was there, was way too technical for me...
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Colorado Springs Tips - 06/08/18 02:10 PM

11 mile has always produced for me... I’m not a fly fisherman tho. So really can’t help you there are you small spinners. If you are a golfer you can always hit one of the oldest golf coursesWest of the Mississippi called Patty Jewett
Posted By: Golfer Jeff

Re: Colorado Springs Tips - 06/08/18 05:09 PM

Dream Stream is fishing well - flows are holding and fish are happy. Still a few lake run fish in there too.

Cheesman is advanced fishing, and flows are way down. Sight fishing all day.

11Mile is still ok, but getting choked by aquatic grasses with high temps and no runoff.

If you want to avoid some crowds......Tarryall near there or head over to Buena Vista and go up the mountain (Princeton). Cottonwood is fishing great - all 3 forks. I hear Chalk Creek is beginning to come into shape as well.
Posted By: mbarker68x

Re: Colorado Springs Tips - 06/09/18 09:48 PM

11 mile canyon below the dam for about 2 miles. All fly fishing only, catch and release as well. I have had the best luck with Rainbow warriors. RS2, WD40, San Juan worms, Parachute Adams size 16 down to a 22. When I was stationed there I hit it up almost every weekend. There is also upper and lower beaver creek if you want to get into smalll stream fishing. Deckers was good to me as well.
Posted By: CWP

Re: Colorado Springs Tips - 06/17/18 01:32 PM

I’d go Dream Steam. The guys at South Platte fly shop in Woodland Park are good. Have them guide you, or just drop in for some info and flies. I’ve fished with both Dave and Ian, both have a ton of knowledge to share.
Posted By: flydoc

Re: Colorado Springs Tips - 06/18/18 03:33 PM

If want big fish and lots of em hit Spinney Mtn res. above the dream stream. Hatches are starting and there taking big drys. Damsels and callibaetis on top or a dry/dropper. 20" average with bigger cruisin the shallow bays.

A few from last week.. I fish here weekly..

Cheers
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Colorado Springs Tips - 06/18/18 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: flydoc
If want big fish and lots of em hit Spinney Mtn res. above the dream stream. Hatches are starting and there taking big drys. Damsels and callibaetis on top or a dry/dropper. 20" average with bigger cruisin the shallow bays.

A few from last week.. I fish here weekly..

Cheers

Agree, few years back I stuck some huge fish in the bay on Spinney. Epic Green drake hatch coming up pretty soon too.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Colorado Springs Tips - 06/23/18 03:03 AM

Are those big cutthroats? I do remember fishing the dream stream once in March. Fishing was slow, but when we did get some fish, they were big. I believe we had two in the 28-30” range. But wasn’t good enough back then to tell if they were Cutties or cutbows
Posted By: flydoc

Re: Colorado Springs Tips - 06/24/18 05:09 PM

1st pic is a cuttbow and the rest Hoffer bows which are whirling decease resistant.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Colorado Springs Tips - 06/25/18 05:09 AM

When making the presentation throw it a foot and a half above the spot. You may know this but it falls and just taps the water like a hatch. Good luck
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum