Texas Fishing Forum

Fly Rods

Posted By: DLALLDER

Fly Rods - 04/28/18 12:27 PM

I have already posted this in the wrong forum but will do it again. I am needing to know what are some of the best brands of fly rods on the market today? I am gonna buy one and it has been too many years since I have been in the market. I need one for the fresh water trout arena. What's your suggestion? Thanks Daniel
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Fly Rods - 04/28/18 12:45 PM

You can't go wrong with Sage or TFO. They are both good rods with lifetime repair policies. I use a Sage VXP rod for trout.

Re: Fly Rods - 04/28/18 12:47 PM

FWBanger, where would I look at one of these rods and PLEASE don't say Bass Pro Shops, I don't shop there for any reason. Thanks Daniel
Posted By: BoPro

Re: Fly Rods - 04/28/18 12:52 PM

I'm Sage guy, but there are a plethora great brands out there. Sage, Winston, Scott, Orvis, and Gloomis all make "high end/priced" $800+ rods. But TFO, St Croix, Echo, Redington, and others also make great lower to mid priced rods. All the mentioned companies have lifetime warranties.

You should try to cast as many as you can, and buy the one that fits your stroke regardless of the brand. I like fast action rods, but can't cast a slow action $800 rod worth a darn.

If you ever make it to Dallas, Tailwaters fly shop has Sage, TFO, and Winston rods the last time I was there
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Fly Rods - 04/28/18 12:56 PM

Just to add to the confusion, head on down to the Orvis store. They have a wide range, you can parking lot cast as needed, to check em out.
Googling "local fly shops" can point you in some directions. TFO warehouse is right near downtown Dallas. Nice folks.

Re: Fly Rods - 04/28/18 08:58 PM

Thanks Guys, will do some checking next week. Daniel
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: Fly Rods - 04/28/18 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
FWBanger, where would I look at one of these rods and PLEASE don't say Bass Pro Shops, I don't shop there for any reason. Thanks Daniel

Well I guess you'll never know the magic that is the new $850 White River Stroker X ultra-fast action carbonglass trout hoister wink

Re: Fly Rods - 04/29/18 12:02 AM

Floon Swenson, You are 100% correct if it is a BPS product or I have to purchase from a BPS. Daniel
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Fly Rods - 04/29/18 12:12 AM

Just don't forget "the more the rod costs the higher the quality and the better fisherman you'll be". Yea right. Them fish know just who are quality fishermen and who are "junk" fisherman. (now I just have to get me one of those White River Stroker X ultra-fast action carbonglass trout hoisters. My Bluegill will never know what hit them thumb)
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Fly Rods - 04/29/18 12:59 AM

St. Croix works for me and was a reasonable price.
Posted By: MassAction

Re: Fly Rods - 04/29/18 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: rrhyne56
Just to add to the confusion, head on down to the Orvis store. They have a wide range, you can parking lot cast as needed, to check em out.
Googling "local fly shops" can point you in some directions. TFO warehouse is right near downtown Dallas. Nice folks.

Throughout the spring and summer Orvis also has their fly fishing 101 classes which give you a basic introduction on how to cast, knots, rigging, and flies. When you finish up the class you get a pretty substantial coupon which makes getting started a lot easier. It was how I got back into the sport after a long hiatus.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Fly Rods - 04/30/18 09:57 AM

I read sometimes that there aren’t a lot of bad rods these days. I don’t know if that’s true. I think there are rods that are designed for specific types of fishing and places people fish. Even for cold water trout, there’s small stream rods, nymphing rods, euro nymphing rods, dry fly rods, streamer rods. Seems like a lot of those that do that kind of fishing, fishing for trout in a variety of rivers, have a quiver of different rods of different lengths, actions and line weight ratings to cover whatever style or situation that might arise.

There’s people that are Sage rod lovers. Others like Scott. Some like G. Loomis. Winston has their fans. Thomas and Thomas is a high end name. Orvis, Douglas,

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-r...ston-air-sage-x

Yellowstone 5 weight shootout will have some of the well known names compared to each other.
Posted By: CodyDog

Re: Fly Rods - 04/30/18 01:41 PM

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-r...ston-air-sage-x

My persomal rods are a Fenwick Aetos 9' 5wt and a Scott 8' 4wt. Both are great rods. The Fenwick Aetos is one of the best "bang for your bucks" rod out there. It rates (Yellowstone Review) higher than several $700 rods and you can get it for about $160.00

You can pay any where from $100 to $800 and more for a fly rod. I would shy away from the big box stores and find a local fly fishing shop to school yourself.

Re: Fly Rods - 05/03/18 09:59 PM

Thanks for all the information. Now I have a question for any of the Orvis rod lovers and anglers. What is the major difference between the Recon and the Helios rods, current models. There is a major difference in price but a total novice like myself can't tell any difference in the two actions. I realize the 2 rods have reel seats and guide differences. Thanks Daniel
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Fly Rods - 05/03/18 11:43 PM

All of my fly rods have come from pawn shops or Cabela's bargain cave. If the expensive rods work better, I'll never know. My cheap rods work great!!
Posted By: Bruce Mc

Re: Fly Rods - 05/04/18 12:03 AM

The difference between the rods is the matrix of the rod blank. The more expensive blanks recover from flex differently which tends to keep the tip of the rod flexing straight instead of left and right. Simply put, the tip doesn't wander around so your fly line lays out more efficiently. If you go to an Orvis shop they will demonstrate this factor.

Re: Fly Rods - 05/04/18 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
Thanks for all the information. Now I have a question for any of the Orvis rod lovers and anglers. What is the major difference between the Recon and the Helios rods, current models. There is a major difference in price but a total novice like myself can't tell any difference in the two actions. I realize the 2 rods have reel seats and guide differences. Thanks Daniel

I don't have (nor have I casted) a Recon, but I own several of their top of the line rods, from the older ZG's up through the H1's the H2's. They are all excellent, and each iteration has done nothing but improve noticeably. Having test casted numerous different H3's, I'm of the opinion that they are some of the finest fly rods ever made. They will flat out throw some line. By the time summer sets in, I'm planning on picking up a 7wt.

Definitely swing by a store and give them a look. I can only imagine you'll be hugely impressed by their performance.

...and just to add to that, if you like glass, look at the Superfine. That action on that stick is nothing less than seductive.
Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: Fly Rods - 05/04/18 06:56 PM

I really really really wouldn't get an $850 rod straight off the bat.

Re: Fly Rods - 05/04/18 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Glitchmo
I really really really wouldn't get an $850 rod straight off the bat.

This is probably the best advice. A $200 Redington (or whatever) casts completely fine, to be honest.

Re: Fly Rods - 05/04/18 07:49 PM

I kind of glazed right over that "complete novice" part and jumped right into the Helios part of the question.

That's my bad there - definitely take Glitchmo's advice and save those extra bills on something that'll be more meaningful...comfortable boots, maybe some extra line, and a couple trips somewhere enjoyable to fish.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Fly Rods - 05/04/18 08:05 PM

buy a used fiberglass rod (it is the material God intended for flyrods).

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/index.php?sid=f2ef8c436d5c58f44af24a0e63c170bd

Re: Fly Rods - 05/04/18 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: swalker9513

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/index.php?sid=f2ef8c436d5c58f44af24a0e63c170bd

Have you ever checked out those Cabela's CGR rods? Immensely affordable and they are a blast to fish with.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Fly Rods - 05/04/18 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Floon Swenson
Originally Posted By: swalker9513

Have you ever checked out those Cabela's CGR rods? Immensely affordable and they are a blast to fish with.

I have a CGR 593. It is a fun rod. I prefer more vintage rods and lamiglas honeys (I have a 3wt honey that is really more a 2wt. It is a blast). I like to feel the rod bend into the grip. The newer glass rods are too fast for my liking.
Posted By: BoPro

Re: Fly Rods - 05/04/18 11:04 PM

I started out on an old cabelas slow action outfit. It was great to learn on, but then I started to cast med, med-fast, fast, ultra fast rods. They all feel different. I still use my Sage 4 wt Zxl for dries, but my favorite rod is the Sage Method.

Tailwaters in Dallas is having their anniversary event tomorrow. They typically have good sales on gear, food, beer, and rods from TFO, Sage, Scott, and other brands set out to cast. It's free, you should check it out.

Re: Fly Rods - 05/05/18 10:12 PM

Guys, I appreciate every bit of advice given but one little bit of information I did not mention is the rod I am going to purchase is not for me but a knowledgeable and skilled fly fisherman that is a very good friend. I have asked for help in deciding because I do not want him to get suspicious of my questions. BTW he has the means to purchase any rod on the market that he might want but sometimes his frugal ways override his spending. Thanks Daniel
PS I will maintain an open mind on future suggestions.
Posted By: split cane rod

Re: Fly Rods - 05/06/18 02:15 AM

Daniel,

Per our conversation, and reading all the good input you’re receiving here on this forum, I have to wonder if your friend would appreciate a custom built rod. Any and all of the manufacturers mentioned have their blanks available for sale on many websites. There are even split cane blanks that can be had at a decent price.

Someone mentioned a fiberglass rod. It is the latest fad. Over the past six or seven years, there have been SO MANY improvements in graphite & composite blanks, I don’t see how there could be a gnat’s wing’s difference in the top-of-the-line rods. Sage, Orvis, Winston, even TFO and Reddington have excellent offerings.

Your friend would certainly appreciate a finely crafted fly rod made specifically for him, with his name written on the butt section, and the date built.

Something to consider.

JR
Posted By: Canoeman1947

Re: Fly Rods - 05/06/18 03:51 AM

Or you might combine two ideas from previous post. Most of the graphite rod brands have already been mentioned. There are some really excellent rod makers building custom rods in fiberglass these days, and some of them also build in graphite. Some of these builders are Steffen Brothers, Graywolf, Chris Barclay, Mike McFarland, Mark McKellip, and many others. The problem with a custom builder is there may be a wait of 2 months or more, though some will occasionally have some rods in stock, though of course these will not be custom built for your friend. You have already looked into Orvis, and Orvis builds a very nice fiberglass rod, the Superfine Glass. In the above post, it was mentioned that fiberglass is the latest fad. I respectfully disagree with this notion. I fished graphite for many years, but switched to glass about 11 years ago and enjoy my fishing considerably more now. Check out the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum for some ideas about glass rods in the modern day. You will also be able to get a look at the work of many really good rod builders.

Larry
Posted By: RonL

Re: Fly Rods - 05/06/18 04:29 AM

If he can afford any rod himself and is an expert fisherman already then he should already have the best in his rod box . There are many high dollar rods out there and that's for those who can comfortably afford them . I use a Cabelas RLS+ combo and a Sage VXP with an Orvis Access reel . Both can be had fairly cheap for the pocket book but both are great rods especially the Sage VXP , use to be one of Sages Flagships . If Cabelas' isn't out it can be had for around $300.00 . The RLS+ can be had for less than $200.00 . But if your determined to spend a lot a good rod you might check out is the Orvis Helios 2 or 3 . Both high class great rods but way out of my pocket range . Good luck !

http://www.orvis.com/fly-rods
Posted By: Hewey64

Re: Fly Rods - 05/08/18 05:44 PM

I have TFO, St. Croix and a White River rod that I got on clearance at BPS several years ago. I enjoy them all but really like my TFO rods.

A few years back I snapped the tip section of one of my TFO rods, trying to fight a brown like I would fight a bass on a bait casting set up, while in Colorado. When I got back I sent it in and had a new tip section less than 2 weeks later. As previously mentioned they are in Dallas. Was impressed with their customer service and how quick I got it back.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum