Texas Fishing Forum

Now it's our turn!

Posted By: didja getny

Now it's our turn! - 03/26/18 02:01 PM

With the lake level almost back to pool, two things happened:
1) the Corp reduced the water release by 75%
2) the bankers, who prefer large releases, vanished

Now, there's nobody there but us with our fly rods! And the fish are hungry.

I fished both Saturday and Sunday. Landed 10 on Saturday. Only two were under 20", and the biggest was 7lbs (first pic below). Sunday, I hooked 7 but only landed 4 (very poor hood-to-land ratio). But, of the four I landed, two were a bit over 8lbs, (2nd and 3rd pics below) and the other two were 6lbs and 4lbs.

2" of rain forecast for Tuesday, so the Corp will up the release and the bankers will reappear. Will still be good fishing, just crowded.

Posted By: Jesse10

Re: Now it's our turn! - 03/26/18 02:59 PM

That’s nuts!!! Heavy fish!!! I’ve been wanting to do that for so long!!! Nice post! Keep em coming!
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: Now it's our turn! - 03/26/18 03:27 PM

Chunks man! Nice work!
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Now it's our turn! - 03/27/18 05:09 AM

Great fish unbelievable power even if you hit a small one you know immediately it’s not a sandbass!!

Re: Now it's our turn! - 03/27/18 02:29 PM

Knowing the rain was coming, and wanting to take advantage of the conditions that produce numbers, I hit it again yesterday. Great day! Glad I went. Landed 11, with biggest 7lbs (pic below).

These fish are, by far, my favorite local fish to catch. If you tied a hybrid tail-to-tail with a similar size striper, it would pull the striper across the lake in a heartbeat. And don't get me wrong, I LOVE catching striper, but these hybrid are something else.

Too bad we can't do this all year!
Posted By: Canoeman1947

Re: Now it's our turn! - 03/27/18 03:15 PM

I just wish I could find a place where I could consistently get into hybrid bass. I have caught carp up to 10 lbs. on a fly and they are strong and have a lot of stamina, but a 7 lb. hybrid just puts a 10 lb. carp to shame.

Larry
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Now it's our turn! - 03/27/18 08:19 PM

Late April through the first part of June during the shad spawn at first light Is exceptionally reliable for trophy hybrid. Riprap and windblown shorelines with sand preferably. Need to get there before you can see your hand in front of your face problem is most lakes in the area you need a kayak at the least
Posted By: texoma1231

Re: Now it's our turn! - 03/28/18 08:17 PM

Great fish Chuck...looks like you had a good day!!! Not much action below Texoma, still working on one of the generators and they just turned off the flood gates a few days ago. Still lots of birds but fishing from the bank with fly rod is difficult. The lake should be good soon.

Tight lines

Vance
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Now it's our turn! - 03/29/18 01:20 AM

Awesome!!!! Nothing like catching big hybrids on the fly. They just don't give up. I've had my best luck catching the bigger ones as soon as they shut off the flow below the dam. Only problem is I often have to use 6 lb. test fluorocarbon to get them to bite. I size up to 12 lb. and they won't touch the fly in that clear still water. They will often wear me out before I wear them out grin I'm envious, well done.

Re: Now it's our turn! - 03/31/18 02:04 AM

The gift that keeps on giving!

A 6 and a couple more 7s

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Re: Now it's our turn! - 03/31/18 02:09 AM

My bad. I put the 6 up twice. No points for that
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum