Texas Fishing Forum

Thailand Barramundi

Posted By: Jaustin

Thailand Barramundi - 01/06/18 04:24 AM

Made a fishing trip to Thailand over Christmas. We fished four days with one day dedicated to barramundi. I threw in an 3 piece 9' orvis 8 weight in case I had a chance to use it. The first three days were fishing for different species of catfish and snakehead. I wish I had had my fly rod with me on the snakehead fishing day as I believe I could have talked one into taking a fly.

As I was rigging up my rod at the barramundi lake the guide took one look at my tippet and said that would never do. I ended up using a piece of his 100 pound fluorocarbon as a shock tippet and even with that I had to change it a few times. The barramundi had a really abrasive mouth. Here are a few pics. By the way, the wife used a spinning rod.

Posted By: Jaustin

Re: Thailand Barramundi - 01/06/18 04:27 AM

My wife said it was easy to tell from the last pic that her fish was clearly bigger than mine. Silly girl, a barramundi on a fly rod is always five pounds bigger than a barramundi caught on a spinning rod!
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Thailand Barramundi - 01/06/18 02:13 PM

Fly rod caught is always the better fish, thanks for nice report on something different. Fromwhat I've heard Barramundi give a good fight.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Thailand Barramundi - 01/06/18 05:47 PM

Very cool. Sounds like a fun trip clap
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum