Texas Fishing Forum

Trip canceled Venice

Posted By: Capt Hoop

Trip canceled Venice - 05/18/15 02:58 AM

My trip inshore for Super Strike Charters was canceled. The customer was afraid or the forecasted storms. It had been a while since I last fished so I said the heck with it I'm going. I called a few guys and one of my deckhands wanted to go. He had a boat to clean first so I hung around the marina for a while. I ate breakfast at the marina and waited for him to get things done. It was about 10:00 when we left the marina. At our first stop we had some rat reds along with some sail and hardhead catfish. I did manage the first keeper at 17 1/2 inches.

We moved to a few other places but the area had not turned on yet. I went by another boat and he just had a school of trout show up near him. As quick as they started they ended. He got 12 and I got 3. He had live shrimp. The dreaded storms were near but outside of a quick sprinkle we never got anything.

There is a place in this bay where the water seems to drop first and it does produce at times. There also are times when this place is a dead bust. It was a 5 mile move but not much was happening here so we pulled up stakes and ran. Once there somebody was fishing where I wanted to be. I just went to a nearby island and set up there. This was a good move because we doubled up with a nice pair of keepers.

A few shorts after that and I saw the boat that was where I wanted to go get up and leave the area. I made a move and it was game on with doubles and even a triple. We were only able to land 2 of our triple hook up.

It did not take long for us to limit out in this place. You are not looking at a reflection this is a pair of redfish keepers that looked like twins. These 2 also came in together.

We quickly put a limit in the boat and headed to the barn about 1:30. It was a very good fun day for us. 15 keeper reds and 3 trout in a little over 3 hours. The customers that canceled their trip lost out for sure.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Trip canceled Venice - 05/18/15 01:03 PM

Great report. Venice is on my bucket list.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum