Texas Fishing Forum

Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday

Posted By: back2fishing

Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/25/13 08:15 PM

Thursday night, winds in Galveston hit 40 with gusts to 50. When I drove over the Causeway Friday morning, I could feel my car shake. As I came down off the Causeway, I could see the palm trees blowing like scenes when they are reporting before a hurricane. As we began fishing the wind was N at 25 gusting to 37. During the morning the wind increased to 28 gusting to 44. By the time we left it was only 17 gusting to 25.

I had called Bulldog the day before to find out what time he would be open. When I walked in to buy bait he said he thought I would have changed my mind. I told him it was Jim's birthday and we were going to fish. He smiled because he knows how seriously we take our fishing.

We started fishing at 0715. The tide was running 1' or more below normal. There was a stretch of beach in front of the rocks and that isn't common. Seagulls were working the bare beach for treats the strong wind had exposed. Swells were about 2' but as they broke the wind would shear off the water and turn it into mist. The water was muddy and clarity was less than 1”.

We decided to start fishing shallow and then work out deep to find the fish. Within an hour I caught an 18” black drum. 15 minutes later I got a 17” and 10 minutes later another 18”. I was dumbfounded. With the weather and water we had, I had expected we would be lucky to each catch one keeper whiting. The bite went dead for an hour and a half. I remembered some advice an old-timer had told me and I cast toward the rocks. I caught a 22” and a 17” black drum in 30 minutes. Four hours on the pier and I had my drum limit. Jim had caught 2 keeper whiting and some small bait fish but using them cut and live didn't get any hits.

Julia joined us around 1030 and Herbert arrived around 1130. It was fun to brag to Herbert about having my limit because he is a real black drum fisherman. Jim hooked a big fish and once we got it netted it was a 27” red. Jim, the birthday boy, was grinning from ear to ear.

Then Herbert caught an 18” black drum.

Julia caught a small bait fish and took it off the hook. Before anyone could grab it for bait a seagull flew over, grabbed it, and flew off. We all had a good laugh out of that. I caught a few more keeper sized whiting and then the bite went dead again.

Around 1300 one of my rods bent and it was a big whiting. It measured 15.75”, the second largest whiting I have ever caught. Then another rod bent and it was a 29” bull red. I measured it 3 times trying to make it legal but it was a catch and release.

I went upstairs and ordered cheeseburgers and fries for Jim and myself, as a birthday treat. If you have never tried a cheeseburger at the pier buy one. With your pier pass they are only $6.99. They make them big and old fashioned with the bun warmed on the grill. They serve them in a box so that you can eat on the pier. The waitress was nice enough to delivery ours to us on the pier.

After we ate I told Herbert that eating lunch had broken the lucky bite. That's when Julia caught a 22” black drum. Jim caught his first black drum of 20”.

Shortly after that, Julia hooked a 19” red. We measured it over and over but could not get it up to 20”. It was a catch and release but Julia was still happy.

Then it was Herbert's turn. His rod bent in half. The butt was stuff between the pier railing and it got stuck. He fought to get it free and hauled in a beautiful 27” red. We had to get Herbert to try 3 times to get a big smile. He was so shy. Then restaurant patrons on the balcony called for him to turn and pose. He looked a like a pro model with his big red.

My memory gets fuzzy after this. I do remember that we had a package of cheap chocolate chip cookies. While we weren't looking a grackle stuff his beak inside and took off with a whole cookie. His buddy came back a half hour later and did the same. Stealing bait is one thing but we have to draw the line at stealing COOKIES.

We kept catching off and on. Julia had to leave around 1600. Jim and I packed up at 1915. Herbert stayed for a while.

For the day 4 of us caught 10 black drum, 2 slot reds, 1 bull red, 1 rat red, 8 whiting from 11-16” and numerous bait fish. These are photos of what Jim and I took home. Jim's red is at the top and the big whiting at the bottom looks almost drum sized.

For the day every fish we caught was in 6-24” of water. Jim made up a Jimmy rig for me to test. I caught almost half of my fish on it. Jim is selling rigs he makes but you need to contact him about that. Bulldog fresh dead shrimp and orange colored, crab flavor, Fish Bites caught the most, especially drum and reds. Shrimp Fish Bites in pink, chartreuse, orange and fast acting caught mostly big whiting.

The TFF Mafia will be at the pier Saturday, the 27th. The tides don't look impressive but the weather should be decent. Come on down, say hello and fish with us. We will share what knowledge we have and hope that you bring the GOOD LUCK.

Posted By: mullets+minnows

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/26/13 01:03 AM

We will be there too. That is a nice drum haul!
Posted By: Herbert77060

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/26/13 01:16 AM

What happened to my 27" red?.....SMH......No respect.
Posted By: KMT

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/26/13 01:18 AM

You guys are having to much fun, can you share some of that please.

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/26/13 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Herbert77060
What happened to my 27" red?.....SMH......No respect.

It was in the original draft. I will find it and post.

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/26/13 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: KMT
You guys are having to much fun, can you share some of that please.

We will be on the pier this Sat 4/27/13. Bring some gear, bait and a sense of humor. We will glad to have you join the TFF Mafia.
Posted By: Pferox

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/26/13 02:27 AM

Yea, where is Herbert's red at? He's been waiting all week to see it in print. lol

Hey Herbert, I think I have a handle on those two that came off, I'm pretty sure it is all in the knot, will explain when I see you..... been pondering that all week and finally think I got it.

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/26/13 03:31 AM

Herbert's monster red is now in the report and a photo. My oversight.

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/26/13 10:49 AM

There is a photo tag that isn't loading here, it is the last one, just to let you know.

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/26/13 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Pferox
There is a photo tag that isn't loading here, it is the last one, just to let you know.

I am tech challenged.
Posted By: DavidFromSpring

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/26/13 05:49 PM

Well, I had plans to go to Austin for a photo shoot, but that is now no longer the case. Since I was going to be gone all day, my wife is letting me come fishing. I was going to surf fish to save teh $12.00. After reading this report, I don't want to miss all the fun you guys have so I'll pier fish with you. I am going to get there early, early. My wife has me on a strict fishing budget but I'm spring $12.00 to hang out with the TFF Maffia.

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/26/13 06:38 PM

How early will you be on the pier?
Posted By: DavidFromSpring

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/26/13 07:29 PM

Sunrise I hope. Leaving my house early. I assume bait places open at 5 a.m. Don't know that I'll be there first custome, but I'll be one of the first! Want to get to the pier before it gets crowded.

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/26/13 11:40 PM

We usually get there 630 to 700.
Posted By: Mateo Clemente

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/27/13 01:19 AM

This sure is an awesome report! Maybe I'll see y'all on the pier sometime this spring-summer.

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/27/13 04:55 AM

Originally Posted By: back2fishing

I am tech challenged.

Uh huh.
Posted By: Joseph Starr

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/27/13 07:36 PM

I love reading the reports from the TFF Mafia, and cant wait for the day to throw some lines with you guys. I also enjoy how you guys do it right, a 12 hr pier trip is the real deal. My old lady doesn't have me fishing budget, but she sure does have me on a time budget.

Congrats on the great catches, if the weather holds, I might drop some lines in the AM ( Sunday ). You guys using shrimp along with the less yielding cut bait?

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/27/13 07:41 PM

One thing though, I dont pier fish much.. Is a net to be able to drop almost required? Or do you just pull the fish up? Do piers have nets there?

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/28/13 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Joseph Starr
I love reading the reports from the TFF Mafia, and cant wait for the day to throw some lines with you guys. I also enjoy how you guys do it right, a 12 hr pier trip is the real deal. My old lady doesn't have me fishing budget, but she sure does have me on a time budget.

Congrats on the great catches, if the weather holds, I might drop some lines in the AM ( Sunday ). You guys using shrimp along with the less yielding cut bait?

Fresh dead shriimp is the first choice for bait. We also use shrimp, crab and clam flavored Fish Bites. Depending on the water quality the Fish Bites color can make a difference. We have found that smaller pieces of cut bait are more effective. Some use live shrimp to catch flounder and sheepsdhead around the pilings.

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/28/13 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Joseph Starr
One thing though, I dont pier fish much.. Is a net to be able to drop almost required? Or do you just pull the fish up? Do piers have nets there?

A pier net is necessary for bigger fish and flounder. A lot of the fishermen have pier nets and if they see you are hooked into something big they will offer to help. Its a very friendly pier.

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/28/13 05:45 AM

Thank you so much.. I am very anxious to fish the pier, and maybe with you guys at some point. Based off of the storm today, I'm planning on staying in tomorrow, but soon enough! Thanks again!

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/28/13 05:59 AM

We only had light mist at the pier today but I drove thru bad storms coming home.

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/28/13 03:25 PM

It got pretty rough around Houston, on the West Side at least. Wake up to a beautiful day today though... Go figures.
Posted By: Chuck7700

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/28/13 03:49 PM

wtg thumb
Posted By: kgk

Re: Galveston Fishing Pier......04/19/13.....Jim celebrates his birthday - 04/30/13 08:48 PM

banana
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum