Texas Fishing Forum

Which way does Trolling Motor sit?

Posted By: Walker_wilson13

Which way does Trolling Motor sit? - 10/18/17 03:14 AM

About to get a new Ultrex for my boat and this is something I've been curious about for a while now, but for Specifically Minn Kota's, what is the proper position for the motor to be locked down? EX: With the prop on outside of boat or inside?
Just something I want to be sure about so I don't end up beating something up that is easily avoidable.

Thanks TFF
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Which way does Trolling Motor sit? - 10/18/17 04:06 AM

If I ran an external transducer I always put it where the cable was on top so I didn't slice it by accident. Other than that reason I always chose which way the cover fit over it to reduce wear.
Posted By: jcwebb70

Re: Which way does Trolling Motor sit? - 10/18/17 11:22 AM

as above, transducer cable needs to be a major consideration. I've had it both ways unintentionally at first. I prefer blades out, so I set my cable up that way. Blades out gives me less clutter if I'm entering/exiting over the nose, and if the on button gets pushed when stowed it doesn't beat the [censored] out of the deck$$. Blade out, depending on mounting, blade out may create a "snag target" for breaking blades, where the nose cone facing out will just hit said object and not break the blades off. half a dozen one half a dozen the other. I keep two spare props that are faster and cheaper than a fiberglass shop trip.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Which way does Trolling Motor sit? - 10/18/17 01:36 PM

Well I guess it might also depend on if you are using a fitted boat cover. Blades out might poke a hole in the cover easier than blades in.
Posted By: Walker_wilson13

Re: Which way does Trolling Motor sit? - 10/18/17 04:09 PM

I won't be running an external cable because of the US2 capabilities. So I'm guessing it's just on preference? Wanted to make sure there wasn't a textbook way to stow it.
Posted By: Jumpin J

Re: Which way does Trolling Motor sit? - 10/18/17 05:31 PM

I'm not sure about Minnkota, but on a Motorguide, the weight of the motor (bottom/prop), is centered on the bracket, with prop to outside. Prop on inside, allows the heavier portion of motor to bounce, putting torque on shaft.
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: Which way does Trolling Motor sit? - 10/19/17 02:20 PM

I like my foot pedal to be down in the front which makes my blades be on the outside.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Which way does Trolling Motor sit? - 10/19/17 03:04 PM

I found that I put the prop out and the head in. Reason being I have a better chance of hitting the head on something or running into in while working on the boat. Not that I ever ran into it while having the head sticking out, nope never. Pedal front down, read one time to do that to keep [censored] from blowing under it as bad while trailering, made sense to me.
Posted By: skeeter17584

Re: Which way does Trolling Motor sit? - 10/20/17 10:40 AM

With my Ultrex I have to run with prop out to prevent damage to my transducer cable. Transome Shield has cable routed that way so Prop out
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Which way does Trolling Motor sit? - 10/20/17 12:33 PM

It has a lot more to do with the cables getting stretched than it does which way the prop is pointed. I make sure my pedal is level when stowed, that way the steering cables aren't stressed while it's put away. Makes them last much, much longer.
Posted By: railey

Re: Which way does Trolling Motor sit? - 10/20/17 08:21 PM

Put the blade in. The reason I say this is I hit the prop on my Ulterra on the trailer unloading last week and it broke a blade off the prop.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Which way does Trolling Motor sit? - 10/21/17 09:04 AM

I don't think it means much but I know I just bought an Ulterra and it came shipped with the prop out so I would assume that either it doesn't matter or MK is saying prop out. If it mattered I'm sure it would be mentioned in the owners manual.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Which way does Trolling Motor sit? - 10/21/17 12:55 PM

40 years of owning a bass boat and I never even thought about this.
Never had a problem either way
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Which way does Trolling Motor sit? - 10/23/17 11:48 AM

I put the prop out on my Ultrex, the other way hangs out past the boat too far.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum