Texas Fishing Forum

Trolling motor battery ideas

Posted By: gborg

Trolling motor battery ideas - 09/30/17 06:15 PM

Any nay sayers out there with regard to Optima deep cycle series. The batteries will be used to run an eighty lb thrust i-pilot. I have had enough with maintenance batteries !!
Posted By: SALLYSUE

Re: Trolling motor battery ideas - 09/30/17 07:53 PM

I have went to the gel battery and have been really pleased I keep a charger on them when I'm not fishing
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Trolling motor battery ideas - 09/30/17 08:17 PM

I have had 2 optimas for about a year now. I keep an onboard charger plugged in when it's not going down the road. Working good so far.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Trolling motor battery ideas - 09/30/17 09:01 PM

Not running your batteries past 50% depth of charge and keeping
them on a smart charger 24/7 when not on the water is the secret
to long life of any deep cycle battery.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Trolling motor battery ideas - 10/01/17 02:57 AM

Went with the blue tops last year, so far so good. Just make sure your charger is no more that 10 amps per bank per the optima specs. My brother been using the same blue top cranking battery for 11 years now and still going strong, probably won't get that from trolling batteries though.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Trolling motor battery ideas - 10/01/17 01:23 PM

Good intel, thx one and all !!
Posted By: CDF

Re: Trolling motor battery ideas - 10/01/17 05:00 PM

I have 3 optima blue tops all purchased in 2009 still working great. I do leave the 2 trolling motor batteries on an on board charger. I used to have to replace at least 1 of my 3 batteries every year. So I am very pleased with them.
Posted By: zaspook

Re: Trolling motor battery ideas - 10/07/17 07:42 PM

I finally replaced my Optima batteries on my trolling motor after 8 or 9 years. I bought another set of Optimas. Academy had the best price that I found.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Trolling motor battery ideas - 10/08/17 02:31 PM

2 yellas on my 80 lb motorguide Xi5 and they do a good job. Never ran out of juice and I plug the onboard 2 bank charger in as soon as I get home. Unplug the next morning and wait till the next trip. I do not leave mine plugged in once fully charged. Blue tops for the motor and electronics. Batteries were bought in 2015 so I should be good for another 4 to 5 years. I also run all my power thru Perko switches and turn them to OFF so that nothing in the boat can draw any current.
Posted By: pchapin

Re: Trolling motor battery ideas - 10/09/17 02:36 PM

Been using Optima for many years. Never had one last less than six years. I use yellow top D34 for trolling motor mostly because of longer warranty than blues just in case i ever need warranty.
Posted By: Dr. Drop

Re: Trolling motor battery ideas - 10/26/17 02:44 PM

The Best. thumb
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Trolling motor battery ideas - 10/28/17 12:26 AM

They are hard to beat.
Posted By: LO419

Re: Trolling motor battery ideas - 01/26/18 03:21 PM

I like the Cabelas AGM batteries there a little pricey but are going strong after 3 years. They usually put them on sale around March.
Posted By: 1Cast 1Fish

Re: Trolling motor battery ideas - 01/30/18 05:52 PM

I use Interstate & a buddy of mine has Optimas...both have been great batteries and neither of us have had any issues. My Interstates have about 4 years on them and his Optimas have around the same probably. I think proper battery maintenance is the key to long life.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum