Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out?

Posted By: Hoopdynasty

Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 02:41 AM

Heard boats needed. Getting in from dallas area seems very slim. Seems like the forum would be good use for communication on help needed and such.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 03:12 AM

Been thinking about heading down Tuesday.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 04:05 AM

If I had the boat for I would. Tried to get my buddy to take his aluminum boat but he can't miss work.
Posted By: R2Fishing

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 04:34 AM

I can't find any info on who to coordinate with? Live in BCS and have 16ft alum side consol.
Anyone knows anything please let me know.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 04:50 AM

Call 713-881-3100. That's number Houston police put out for boat volunteers.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 07:03 AM

I have aluminum antique boat but no motor and now I hear there is BBQ community that goes and cooks. May go do that one .
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 02:24 PM

I am leaving today around 4pm.. Taking my 18'8 bass boat. Can't get through to the number. I don't just want to show up. I need to know where they need me.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 02:47 PM

They were asking specifically for metal flat bottom shallow water boats, but I am sure they would appreciate all the help they can get.

Remember you will be driving boats through neighborhoods in streets and yards, not in lakes and canals. Obstructions change to brick mailboxes and submerged cars and debris. It is a very hazardous environment to fiberglass, so anyone who is going needs to understand the risk to you and the boat and the people being rescued.

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt Craig
They were asking specifically for metal flat bottom shallow water boats, but I am sure they would appreciate all the help they can get.

Remember you will be driving boats through neighborhoods in streets and yards, not in lakes and canals. Obstructions change to brick mailboxes and submerged cars and debris. It is a very hazardous environment to fiberglass, so anyone who is going needs to understand the risk to you and the boat and the people being rescued.

Yes if I had a flat bottom it would be better but it's all I got.
Posted By: CBoone

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 07:08 PM

Download the Zello app - search for the channel Texas Search and Rescue - Cajun Navy is running dispatch and helping to get resources where people are needed - still an overwhelming need for help. Thousands of requests for help on the app and over Facebook
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 07:13 PM

I'm on Zello app right now. Still having a hard time telling what's going on, but I can get my hands on a flat bottom and want to go help if I can figure out what the heck is going on...
Posted By: KHumpert

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 07:19 PM

Im in the same situation. I'd like to run with a group, however it seems like things are so scattered when you listen to the zello app.

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 07:31 PM

KHumpert, I will stay in contact. I have limited info but we might try to coordinate info we have heard. 972-837-9404 text or call me is fine.
Posted By: brrbass

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 08:34 PM

We are in Northewest Arkansas and would also be interested in hooking up with a group and heading down there. PM me and let me know.

brrbass
Posted By: Hoopdynasty

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 08:35 PM

Let me know any inside info and please share. Dhooper.rn@hotmail.com
Posted By: CBoone

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/28/17 11:34 PM

If anyone is headed down alone and needs a deckhand to assist getting people in the boat shoot me a PM - I will be glad to jump in with someone leaving from DFW or East to Tyler. I'll also help absorb the costs of getting there and operating. I'd take my boat but my heavy ranger would be more of a hindrance than help.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/30/17 08:36 PM

On zello, try the "VV Friends" channel for north and west houston info.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/31/17 04:51 PM

I saw a line of truck pulling boats on the news yesterday all heading to the Houston area and surrounding cities. I believe it was on Highway 90.

Whoever goes, watch out for and help abandoned pets please! IN65

...------
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 08/31/17 10:19 PM

Get hooked up with 3P OFFROAD in Houston
They are sending groups out and comms are on the Zello app...

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 09/01/17 02:17 AM

We just rolled back into town from Orange after hitching a ride back. We had minimal service, zello was sketchy, and we lost contact with some people I had been talking to. We ended up putting our truck into 5+ foot of water on a freak accident going into a drainage ditch, we tried draining everything, replaced all filters, oil, and we think we blew something up the motor about 2 minutes after getting it running again. We had to abandon it. Going to try and come down for it this weekend with a trailer. Everyone be careful down there. It is seriously crazy. Have people wade where you're going to drive if you have ANY doubts about how deep it is. God bless everybody down there, you're all heroes.
Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 09/01/17 05:05 PM

https://youtu.be/lkp8dacT_dc https://youtu.be/lkp8dacT_dc there is so many people down there with boats it's on real Jewel why you won't go 5 feet without seeing somebody with aluminum boat I was lucky enough to go the opposite direction as everybody else and I actually saw some stuff by myself but everywhere I went there was helicopters to right by me so the helicopters were getting everybody I just took them water and food or anything they needed. You have to watch out for the crackheads that want to ride to the hotels that are underwater because they having a big party on top of the hotels and their just tearing it up there's some guys that need a ride to the spots where they're going to get all high and there's a bunch of girls up in the hotels and it's a big mess in Port Arthur and Beaumont

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 09/01/17 07:25 PM

From someone down there. He said NOT to go down. Someone got stabbed trying to help others was the report he got. Also State Police are taking over a lot of the areas and they will not even let firemen go in right now. This is from him first hand. He is well armed.
Posted By: whitney cat

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 09/03/17 12:50 AM

better get all your shots.....that's what the dr. are saying.......
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Anyone attempted to head to Houston to help out? - 09/05/17 03:44 PM

For all that did help and went thru high water make sure you check your diffs, both of my trucks had plenty of water in them. The front diffs were the worst.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum