Texas Fishing Forum

must read article about snobery in fishing

Posted By: Jamoke

must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/09/17 04:02 PM

I am an avid Fishermen, I love to catch Any type of fish. I only keep one or two to eat, the rest go back in the lake. I was raised poor and always had hand me down equipment. I read almost every section of this forum, and I am amazed how wrapped up some people can be about their boat, kayaks, electronics, reels, poles, lures etc. Rarely have a read an article that summed it up better. Let them buy Hobies I assume most of us are hard working folks, think back to when you had your 1rst rod/reel, if you are my age it was probably a Mitchel, Zebco... Some of the fish catchinist folk I have ever known use old equipment, flat bottom boats. If you feel that way you should read this article, it was posted in the Kayak section, but really it pertains to all sections in this forum. JMHO Enjoy
Posted By: Ranger481

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/09/17 05:25 PM

Thanks for sharing. Good article.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/09/17 05:53 PM

Am I missing your point? Are you suggesting that those on here who have the means to afford top of the line gear treat those who can't differently and should thus be labeled snobs? confused

If so, that's utterly ridiculous!
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/09/17 06:15 PM

I can afford this

But I use this as not to come off snobish to anyone

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/09/17 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: T Bird
Am I missing your point? Are you suggesting that those on here who have the means to afford top of the line gear treat those who can't differently and should thus be labeled snobs? confused

Just sit back and read the posts... With a objective mindset... The only 2 places in the forum that don't consistently come off that way are the Crappie section and the Catfish section, sorry Eurocarpers you messed it up for the rouge fish section... Just sayin... People bash Triton vs skeeters vs Rangers... (don't own any of them) Gotta use a certain fluorocarbon, I don't use it. Heck most of my fish are caught with an H2O mettle and either a Kastmaster, slab or a small jig. Can't leave out $20 or more lures. If that weren't enough, the hooks have to be upgraded from the $20 lures. Everything appears to require KVD's name on it. (I have nothing against the man) I just don't think a lure, is better cause his name is on it. I asked about a homemade Kayak cart in the kayak section only to be told to purchase a brand name cart that cost more than my pawn shop Kayak. I know for a fact there are a lot of people here that catch a lot of fish with simple basic gear. If you can afford the best more power to you... To the rest of us GL out there!!!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/09/17 06:53 PM

So basically what you and the story are telling us is to tell people who ask about: fluorocarbon, reels, rods, baits, boats, etc.....is that we are supposed to tell them to buy the cheapest thing possible? hmmm I and others buy overpriced fishing junk because we WANT to, nobody is forcing us to spend our money on it and I don't think I'm better (or a snob) because I might spend more on equipment than some others might. You guys that buy the cheaper stuff are the ones thinking that I'm trying to be a snob. I just want nice stuff because I work my rear off to have the right to buy what I want.

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/09/17 07:16 PM

Just one question... Do you have Power poles or Talons?

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/09/17 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Jamoke

I do and they are essential to catching more fish
Posted By: KQT

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/09/17 07:20 PM

I got into kayaking because of the Hobie PA 12. The advise I give anyone is save up for what you want and more importantly what you will use. As with most anything you get what you pay for. Got to have it now mentally will cost you down the road. Inexpensive fishing tackle will introduce you to the sport and provide you the opportunity to see if you like it.

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/09/17 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry

Good For you Huckleberry and to everyone else out there that can afford quality gear, Heck I hope I can afford some of that fancy stuff I hear about... Maybe my next life... til then I'll keep using my cheap stuff and catching a few fish now and then...

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/09/17 07:30 PM

Good For you Huckleberry and to everyone else out there that can afford quality gear, Heck I hope I can afford some of that fancy stuff I hear about... Maybe my next life... til then I'll keep using my cheap stuff and catching a few fish now and then...

I don't snub my nose at others and I don't think any less of someone who doesn't have power poles though. I would call that kind of a person more than a snob.

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/09/17 10:05 PM

Neither, fish too deep to waste the money on them.
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/09/17 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

Neither, fish too deep to waste the money on them.

^^^^^^^^this
But i have some high end equipment that will last three times as long as the cheap stuff.

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/09/17 10:45 PM

Someone explain to me how a shallow water anchor puts you into the "snob" catergory? I'm really struggling to understand this snob argument, pretty sure a person could or not be a snob either way and the items are just tools/toys/items.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/09/17 11:50 PM

Decent read and his opinion. I fished out of 14' aluminum boats and fiberglass pirogues(way before yaks every appeared!) for years. I was in an aluminum boat with a 25 Merc on it and after being out on a day when it was cold and windy I made the decision to leave that world behind. For the record it was a few days after my 50th birthday.

Moving forward 10 years I am no longer able due to 3 back surgeries along with 6 other orthopedic surgeries to man-handle a boat. I fish by myself and want the safety of a boat. I choose to run a 21' foot boat with bells and whistles, I don't have the latest electronics, don't have color coordinated power poles, use older reels and decent rods. I do not pimp product for anyone, I fish the BFL's, benefit tournaments, and run a boat for high school kids as a volunteer captain. If I am a snob so be it.

Oh wait I have an Ultrex!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahahaha!

We all have our opinions.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/10/17 12:53 AM

I don't have nuthin. I use my wife's boat and rods
Posted By: Crankalot

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/10/17 03:56 AM

I just want nice stuff because I work my rear off to have the right to buy what I want.
Posted By: AKMike

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/10/17 04:44 AM

I'm not even going to read the article because of the BS being posted in the thread but I don't have a ton of money but I finally started saving up and buying some "decent(expensive to me) " gear because I got tired of replacing cheap stuff that would fail. Everyone recommends what they like that's human nature, but it's not all snobbery. Yeah some guys can be snobs so what move on your an adult.

Asking if someone has power poles to try and prove a point about snobbery is just stupid and honestly sounds like you're jealous of people with nice stuff. I have a half built houseboat I got for next to nothing and my neighbor has a 200+ mph Skater I don't think he's a snob because he has something nice, he worked his butt off for years building a business to afford it.

If you want to fish with $500 custom rods and $500 reels in a $70,000 boat and have the means more power to you, I'd just appreciate a ride and to try out some nice gear once laugh

As for crappy and catfish folks they can spend quite a bit of money themselves on custom rigs, and some of the rudest people(and nicest) I've met were crappy fishermen.
Posted By: slim1

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/10/17 12:49 PM

I caught my PB largemouth, 9 lbs.2 oz, on a $1 Walmart spinner bait with a 20 yr. old 5500C. I'm not cheap it just looked like it would catch fish and it did.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/10/17 01:08 PM

It's not a long article...reread it.

It appears many missed the basic point, or at least this topic took on a tone different than the intent of the article. That/this happens ALL the time.

The article intent as I see it, "from the article."

* When we as a community don’t honor the request for help by giving an answer that will fit the asked for requirements of the seeker, we further create class warfare. It makes the seeker feel that only big money (or more money than they have) is allowed in the sport. *

Hence, the article did not intend to promote "snobbery."

It's intent was about "participating in a hobby within person a, b or c's budget, and should a person ask about a specific item of need, "answer the question within the boundaries/parameters presented." There is no need to exceed the $$ amount. If that person can afford that "exceeded amount," he/she would have set his parameters differently.

This topic went sideways when "snob mentality" took over.

A Zebco vs a Shimano TranX, it does not matter when the actual joy of the afternoon is the "experience," not the "gear."

...------
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/10/17 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Indianation65
It's not a long article...reread it.

It appears many missed the basic point, or at least this topic took on a tone different than the intent of the article. That/this happens ALL the time.

The article intent as I see it, "from the article."

* When we as a community don’t honor the request for help by giving an answer that will fit the asked for requirements of the seeker, we further create class warfare. It makes the seeker feel that only big money (or more money than they have) is allowed in the sport. *

Hence, the article did not intend to promote "snobbery."

It's intent was about "participating in a hobby within person a, b or c's budget, and should a person ask about a specific item of need, "answer the question within the boundaries/parameters presented." There is no need to exceed the $$ amount. If that person can afford that "exceeded amount," he/she would have set his parameters differently.

This topic went sideways when "snob mentality" took over.

A Zebco vs a Shimano TranX, it does not matter when the actual joy of the afternoon is the "experience," not the "gear."

...------

I agree with ya. I have donated equipment to high school teams and may have more this year to send them. I can sell it and make a buck or two, but the value to a kid who wants to fish is much more to me than the money. I fish for the experience as well!
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/10/17 01:13 PM

I don't let it bother me. My neighbor has as 50K bass boat. Nice, but he still asks when I'm going to have my next catfish fry.

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/10/17 01:38 PM

Expensive gear vs. cheap gear, and what creates "tone" comes up ALLLLLL the time in my "guitar forums."

Sometimes, it's not fun to see how those topics go sideways.

...------
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/10/17 03:06 PM

I have top of the line gear, I use expensive fluorocarbon, I use expensive reels, I use expensive fly rods with top of the line tippet, I save money where I can, but I don't skimp on my gear, and it pays off as I usually outcatch 99% of people around. Call me a snob, that's fine, but I take pride in my gear looking good and I catch lots of fish because I have too of the line stuff. If that's "snobby" then whatever. I
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/10/17 03:17 PM

The best kind of fishing boat is the one that's paid for. I've seen a guy on Lewisville lake with a little 14' v-hull aluminum skiff and a 40hp Honda 4-stroke outboard fishing in a group of expensive center consoles. He was getting compliments from most of the guys in the group for his rig - it was very fishable and he probably gets 10mpg or more.

I don't think it's the price tag of the equipment that makes fishermen be 'snobs' - I think it has much more to do with whether the individual maintains their gear.
Posted By: plk1122

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/10/17 04:32 PM

I personally don't care if you have a 50k rig or a 40 year old john boat. I'm generally happy just seeing guys out on the lake (hopefully) enjoying their day as much as I enjoy mine.

I do understand the intimidation factor when joining this hobby (if you fished for awhile, it doesn't cross your mind). 10 years ago when i was getting into fishing, I asked a good guy who was great at catfishing what rods and reels he used and his rig, etc. He was very nice and told me his setups. However he was using 180.00 setup. No way i was gonna to spend that on a setup. When i saw this i was a little intimidated, that feeling that "shoot i need a 180.00 rod n reel to catch fish". I settle on a cheaper rig about 60.00 total and bought some cheap 25.00 set ups from walmart. Looking back you can see how this is self inflicted, I asked a question and he answered, not his fault at all and i should not feel inferior because i couldn't afford that equipment. However he did tell me somethings i disagreed. Like the type of line he used, the type of reels needed. Some of the info he told me just didn't match my style and size of fish i was catching, therefore i didn't need as of expensive equipment as him. I caught alot of cats with my walmart poles.

I don't ever really catch fish now but i sure try real hard to and I always enjoy being on the water and trying to catch fish, to me that is what really matters.
Posted By: BAllen91

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/10/17 07:45 PM

Must be a liberal...
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/10/17 08:36 PM

It's those young ones with their flat billed hats and white oakley's, driving daddy's jacked up truck, pulling his matching $75,000 bass boat, with their matching Jersey's that cut you off on your favorite fishing hole he's referring to. bolt
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/10/17 09:09 PM

I used to fish with cheaper reels and rods but got tired of the maintenance and replacement schedule that's required with cheaper materials. Also, the failure rate is higher with cheaper items. But I tournament fish. If I didn't then I would probably use cheaper stuff because it wouldn't matter when those things happened and I likely wouldn't be putting them through the riggers I currently do. It's all about application I guess.

Doesn't make someone a snob running 60k boats with 20k worth accessories. What makes them a snob is wearing the shirts with all the fake sponsors on a day there not tournament fishing! lol. Kidding, Just a joke
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/11/17 12:00 AM

Thanks for sharing, nice article! As expected, many on this forum will not truly understand.....hence they will become defensive...lol.

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/11/17 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Ol Man River
Thanks for sharing, nice article! As expected, many on this forum will not truly understand.....hence they will become defensive...lol.

How does an article about meeting someone's budget, then gets twisted by the OP to calling people snobs because he's too lazy to work hard make us defensive? Just means that the OP didn't understand the article.
Posted By: eyeball

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/11/17 01:23 AM

I can afford this

Whats that top one. Ive had plenty of those bottom ones.
Back about '67 those 5000Cs were real sweet. I still have a couple of the later silver round profile ones that will cast a lure with weight farther than i can cast the same lure or croaker with my high dollar Revo supreme or diawa.

If that top one casts farther, i want to price it.
Posted By: Larry M

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/11/17 05:33 AM

So basically your whining because you see people with gear you cant afford!
This whole thing was a waste of time. Blah Blah Blah

I have cheap rods and reels and I have $300 reels that I have had for 12 years and just tune them and replace parts. IMO People can fish what ever they want so long as it doesnt put them bankrupt.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/11/17 12:37 PM

Caught my biggest 2 fish ever with a $15 Zebco 33 K-Mart combo from the bank fishing the same creek same spot but different years. Why can't I do as good from my $20K boat with $150 rods & reels? Just don't make no sense frown

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/11/17 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: eyeball

I can afford this

Whats that top one. Ive had plenty of those bottom ones.
Back about '67 those 5000Cs were real sweet. I still have a couple of the later silver round profile ones that will cast a lure with weight farther than i can cast the same lure or croaker with my high dollar Revo supreme or diawa.

If that top one casts farther, i want to price it.

Shimano Antares $599.00
Posted By: T Bird

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/11/17 02:36 PM

Quote "Shimano Antares $599.00"

I'd have to buy a life jacket for it.
scared
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/11/17 03:57 PM

This place is getting like BBC everybody pays cash for 75000. Dollar bass boats. Bet y'all even have a shop full of 1000.00 combos and high end lures to go with it. Maybe people just have gone a little overboard on a lot of this stuff it is just fishing.
You guys are to critical of this guy.

J D popcorn
Posted By: Shadetree

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/11/17 04:15 PM

Yes it's there, we are even teaching it in high school now.
Posted By: one.more.day.of.life

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/11/17 05:33 PM

Every one of us have a unique story from where our lives started. I was raised with just enough to get me through the early life. Money was tight with 2 hard working Christian parents. We were rich in family and life,just not very wealthy when it came to money. I figured out very young if I wanted something, like a top of the line baseball glove, I worked and saved until I had enough to pay for it. Cut grass, painted houses, etc. First boat was a flat bottom. My son at 5 years old caught his first 5 lb bass out of that old boat. Fished lot of bass tournaments and won a few against the guys who could afford the big bass boats. Over the years I was able to buy a couple of bass boats. Kept my Champion 25 years and sold it to a friend. Still a very nice boat. Bottom line, buy what you can afford, don't look down on others who cannot buy same stuff you have. Don't covet the other guys stuff. If there is something you want - work hard save your money and buy it. I go into Bass Pro and see their $20 baits. I can afford to buy one, I just cain't afford to lose it. LOL. Actually, I hate fishing - I LOVE TO CATCH!!
Posted By: plk1122

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/11/17 05:35 PM

I agree, I don't think the article or anything was snubbing anyone. My joy from fishing will not increase because i have a $600.00 reel compared to my joy with $35.00 reels. However if you enjoy fishing like i do and need a $600.00 reel to feel that joy, go for it (or if you just have the money laying around and want it, go for it). When i had my old jon boat, i never felt inferior to more expensive boats at the boat ramp. Never felt inferior to the owner of that boat (& never felt i was better than that owner either). I've never felt or seen people feel jealous of others or snobbish to others at the boat ramp.

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/11/17 06:31 PM

There is such a thing as a $600 reel???

...------

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/11/17 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: basscaster46
This place is getting like BBC everybody pays cash for 75000. Dollar bass boats. Bet y'all even have a shop full of 1000.00 combos and high end lures to go with it. Maybe people just have gone a little overboard on a lot of this stuff it is just fishing.
You guys are to critical of this guy.

J D popcorn

Nah, I bought a used boat and paid $25k cash for it. I might buy a new one next year and put a down pymt of $35k on it, finance the rest. Or I might just keep my current boat, only live once though. Combos costing $1k??? Nah, I'm too cheap for that $400 is my limit.

Maybe the OP is too critical of everyone else? popcorn
Posted By: TCK73

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/11/17 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: T Bird

Just sit back and read the posts... With a objective mindset... The only 2 places in the forum that don't consistently come off that way are the Crappie section and the Catfish section, sorry Eurocarpers you messed it up

Just curious here, do you consider us that frequent the whites/hyb/stripes snobby?

Seriously though, you need to read the article again and think about it. You missed the point.
Posted By: HItec Redneck

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/13/17 01:47 AM

If you can afford the finest stuff made then buy it and use it. $1000 rods or a cane pole it don't matter. Pirogue or Ranger, still don't matter. Treat people with respect, enjoy your toys and the blessings that God has given you and make the best of it.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/13/17 12:18 PM

So basically what you and the story are telling us is to tell people who ask about: fluorocarbon, reels, rods, baits, boats, etc.....is that we are supposed to tell them to buy the cheapest thing possible? hmmm I and others buy overpriced fishing junk because we WANT to, nobody is forcing us to spend our money on it and I don't think I'm better (or a snob) because I might spend more on equipment than some others might. You guys that buy the cheaper stuff are the ones thinking that I'm trying to be a snob. I just want nice stuff because I work my rear off to have the right to buy what I want.

Nobody cares what you buy. The article is about people asking about gear in price range A and being told they need to buy in price range Z. That doesn't help the person who's asking about what he can afford. I call it elitism.

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/13/17 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: wh2004

Nobody cares what you buy. The article is about people asking about gear in price range A and being told they need to buy in price range Z. That doesn't help the person who's asking about what he can afford. I call it elitism.

You didn't read the OP's responses then, he cares what we here buy. My response was to him calling everyone on the forum a "snob" except the white bass guys & somebody else.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: must read article about snobery in fishing - 08/13/17 06:30 PM

First sentence in my quote of you says "the story" and I'm telling you no, the story doesn't say that.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum