Texas Fishing Forum

Clearest lakes near Dallas

Posted By: Jared D.

Clearest lakes near Dallas - 07/21/17 09:06 PM

As a side job I do some stock photography and videography. Im in the mood to do some underwater work. What lakes near Dallas(within 2 hour drive) are the clearest? Im headed to Possum Kingdom tomorrow to give it a try as I know its relatively clear compared to others around.
Posted By: slabnut

Re: Clearest lakes near Dallas - 07/21/17 09:18 PM

I would try Lake Hawkins. Clear and beautiful.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Clearest lakes near Dallas - 07/22/17 01:23 AM

Lake Murray just across the border up 35. Very clear water.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Clearest lakes near Dallas - 07/22/17 02:28 AM

Several police and fire departments perform their SCUBA training at Wheeler Branch in Glen Rose. No boats allowed but kayaks and others are okay.

Water is pumped in from the Paluxy River so the lake doesn't pick up the detritus and muddy water from a river system. And, the lake sits up high so run-off is even minimized.

At times, unless they are aggressively pumping water in, or heavy rains but like about now in the summer, I have followed white colored lures down to 15 or so feet in depth. Very clear!

I haven't been out to PK in many years but I think WB is somewhat clearer. There are a few YouTube videos showing some underwater camera work.

Brad
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Clearest lakes near Dallas - 07/22/17 07:07 PM

Possum Kingdom has been cloudy since the big rains in June. The lake has been releasing water continuously since then. Before those rains we had more than 20 foot visibility.

You should check out Lake Murray across the border in OK. It's normally very clear.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Clearest lakes near Dallas - 07/23/17 10:07 PM

PK was super clear. It was neat being able to see the bottom clearly in 15'+ of water. Could see catfish swimming around the bottom.
Posted By: jcwebb70

Re: Clearest lakes near Dallas - 07/24/17 12:27 PM

Whitney is used for scuba check out dives.
Posted By: me and the boys

Re: Clearest lakes near Dallas - 07/24/17 01:04 PM

I can't remember the name,,, but there is a dive park right by tawakoni.
Spring fed clear water.
They have a airplane and other places to dive in.
Lots of fish.
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Clearest lakes near Dallas - 07/24/17 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: me and the boys
I can't remember the name,,, but there is a dive park right by tawakoni.
Spring fed clear water.
They have a airplane and other places to dive in.
Lots of fish.

Clear Springs Scuba Park http://www.clearspringsscubapark.com/
May want to check out reviews first
Posted By: Coreywms

Re: Clearest lakes near Dallas - 07/24/17 05:49 PM

South lake in Farmersville.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Clearest lakes near Dallas - 07/24/17 06:30 PM

The Tawakoni dive park was an old rock quarry if its the same place I think.
They hit a spring and it filled.
You can see about 20 feet down.
It was bought by a developer in the late 70,s or early 80,s.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Clearest lakes near Dallas - 07/25/17 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Brad R
Several police and fire departments perform their SCUBA training at Wheeler Branch in Glen Rose. No boats allowed but kayaks and others are okay.

Water is pumped in from the Paluxy River so the lake doesn't pick up the detritus and muddy water from a river system. And, the lake sits up high so run-off is even minimized.

At times, unless they are aggressively pumping water in, or heavy rains but like about now in the summer, I have followed white colored lures down to 15 or so feet in depth. Very clear!

I haven't been out to PK in many years but I think WB is somewhat clearer. There are a few YouTube videos showing some underwater camera work.

Brad

\This +1 thumb
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Clearest lakes near Dallas - 07/25/17 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B
Lake Murray just across the border up 35. Very clear water.

This will be the clearest lake. It's very clear and has largemouth and smallmouth and you can launch your boat or just access from about any point since it's covered in a state park.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Clearest lakes near Dallas - 07/26/17 12:46 PM

Take a trip to Alan Henry, near Post. Gin Clear water.
Posted By: Gmann

Re: Clearest lakes near Dallas - 07/26/17 07:13 PM

Haven't been in a couple of years, but after the zebra mussels invaded, Texoma was clearer than I had ever seen it in years past. Of course that depends on recent rains.

By far, one of the clearest is Broken Bow. It's about 2:45 hours away, but well worth the trip.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum