Texas Fishing Forum

Grass Carp in the news

Posted By: James Roberts

Grass Carp in the news - 07/11/17 10:33 PM

For the Greater Austin Area, KXAN tonight at 10 will be talking about the devastation the Grass Carp have done to Lake Austin and the fact that they are in Lady Bird doing the same, have read several reports of them in the Colorado as well. TUNE IN!
JR
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 07/11/17 11:04 PM

Homeowners do not care.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 07/12/17 01:43 AM

Atleast it's getting some attention. The homeowners might not care but maybe it will get tpwd some flack about using them and deter it next time somewhere else. I doubt it but we can hope. They should cover the devastation they did to toledo with all the spraying
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 07/12/17 02:33 AM

They have taken over Joe Pool.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 07/12/17 01:20 PM

Send them to Lake Guntersville. I quit going to the lake after the grass comes up. I'm tired of raising my outboard to unclog the intakes when going slow through shallow water.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 07/12/17 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishin' Nut
Send them to Lake Guntersville. I quit going to the lake after the grass comes up. I'm tired of raising my outboard to unclog the intakes when going slow through shallow water.

I can promise you don't want that. You might think you do but you don't.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 07/12/17 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet

+1 You think spraying effects fishing, wait until the carp get there.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 07/14/17 02:23 AM

Grass carp in the proper ratios can be beneficial. But everybody overstocks them.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 07/14/17 05:09 AM

Here's the video report made by KXAN. Mr. Marco de Jesus totally discounts TPWD fault on this massive screw up.

http://kxan.com/2017/07/11/lady-bird-lake-vegetation-at-risk-after-mass-migration-of-carp/

Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 07/14/17 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: the skipper
Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet

+1 You think spraying effects fishing, wait until the carp get there.

I don't target those green carp. The grass ruins my catfishing holes on the lake. So again, I would like to see them stocked in Guntersville. Especially since the state is phasing out spraying over the next three years.
Posted By: Redfoxone

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 07/14/17 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: BThomas
Homeowners do not care.

Some do. Actually, most do. I wish people would stop classifying all homeowners on the lake the same. They are not. Myself and most of my neighbors would love to see more grass, even around our docks and shoreline. More grass, more bass.
Posted By: James Roberts

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 07/14/17 10:56 PM

Tonight at 10 KVUE will do their report.
JR
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 07/15/17 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: doctorxring

Mr. Marco de Jesus totally discounts TPWD fault on this massive screw up.

TP&W issued the permit for the grass carp overstocking and then turns around and deflects their responsibility with excuses for their poor judgement.

What a crock.

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 07/15/17 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: JamesRoberts
Tonight at 10 KVUE will do their report.
JR

Here's the link to the KVUE report. Mr. Marco de Jesus aka "Mr. Propaganda" is even more
sincere on this report. "We told them this could happen !"

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/new-water-worries-plaguing-austin-lakes/456064146

Posted By: JWfish

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 07/18/17 08:47 PM

They ruined the trophy fishery at Purtis Creek State Park when they put grass carp there.

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 10/05/17 12:51 AM

I found this video today and thought I would bump this thread. Very discouraging to say the least in the context
of our problem here in Texas. "Scientists" told this guy the same lies that we are getting now in 1987 !!

This owner found that the grass carp he had stocked in the late 80's
are still alive ! He did find one way to get rid of them which you will
see in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANYoX7vtXt0

Posted By: ZzzKing

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 10/11/17 12:11 AM

We should all get used to it and learn to catch them. In 30 years, if we don't become better stewards of our lakes and rivers, all that will be left are carp and gar.
Posted By: eyeball

Re: Grass Carp in the news - 10/11/17 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: OldChamp
Originally Posted By: doctorxring

Mr. Marco de Jesus totally discounts TPWD fault on this massive screw up.

TP&W issued the permit for the grass carp overstocking and then turns around and deflects their responsibility with excuses for their poor judgement.

What a crock.

Gill netting coves could rectify that but suicide would evidently be more preferable to TPand W. I mean, hell, it could kill a catfish or worse yet, a gator gar (and God forbid- a gator- then we all would go to hell).
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum