Texas Fishing Forum

Spiders on boat docks

Posted By: Dick O

Spiders on boat docks - 07/05/17 12:16 AM

I am going crazy cleaning up from bugs and spiders on my dock. I think I spend more time cleaning than fishing. Anyone have any ideas of what to use here to make them move?

Thanks
Posted By: ACAMS

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/05/17 12:35 AM

Get a bat, they love to eat bugs and spiders.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/05/17 12:42 AM

turn lights off.. noidea
Posted By: bowfin

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/05/17 04:39 AM

Spray with demon that you can get at feed stores.
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/05/17 04:43 AM

Spiders eat mosquitos . Just sayin' . wink
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/05/17 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Siberman
Spiders eat mosquitos . Just sayin' . wink

^^^
Posted By: BassBlack

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/05/17 12:43 PM

Dicko get you a small misting system, they have timers that you can set for different spray times a day. Also you can get "natural" repellantt mix that they use
Posted By: Dr. Crank

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/05/17 03:09 PM

Spiders and dirt dobbers sure can ruin your weekend I'm like the OP spend more time cleaning than fishing. I have used viper with some success on spiders, but have found nothing for the dobbers
Posted By: bccougar

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/05/17 04:19 PM

Demon will put a stop to all of that
Posted By: ACAMS

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/05/17 05:57 PM

Bat poop is easy to mop up!
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/05/17 08:01 PM

Chickens love spiders, but they poop everywhere.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/05/17 08:28 PM

Spiders won't hurt you and they love roaches. Dobbers usually just ignore you. Take a cornbroom down there and use it to knock down webs in the way. And you can check watermelons too.
Posted By: bowfin

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/05/17 11:03 PM

Removing spider chit from your boat is like trying to remove a tattoo.
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/06/17 01:00 AM

A veteran owner advised me to get a spray bottle and mix in some essential peppermint oil and a little dishwater soap. Lines and contact points should be sprayed. I have been doing it for a few weeks now, and it does seem to help.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/06/17 03:14 PM

With the misting systems, water quality is everything, if you have poor water, forget it, you will have them replacing nozzles in 3 months and then every 3 months after. I know a guy that does them near me and he wont bid on houses that have well water, its a waste of time, even his best nozzles clog up in 3 months or less.

But demon will kill them and everything else with an exoskeleton.
Posted By: ibfishinng

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/06/17 05:07 PM

I had a tritoon in a slip at Hidden Cove for a couple of years. I had spider netting installed over the slip. I was amazed at how much cleaner my boat was compared to others that did not have the spider netting. Wasn't a 100% solution, but was well worth the money and time saved cleaning the boat.
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/06/17 10:41 PM

we use Ortho Home Defense MAX Indoor & Perimeter Insect Killer works for about a month then you have to spray again.
Posted By: MikeSwain48

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/07/17 03:37 AM

Placing cow tags (pythian) all in the nooks and crannys seems to drastically cut down on the bugs at my dock. I go out 1st night I am at lake and kill all remaining spiders. Takes 15 min and no spiders for a week or so
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/07/17 11:04 AM

Bug B Gone mist works as well other wise keep pressure washing and spraying insecticide every 2 r 3 weeks. bang
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/07/17 01:01 PM

Demon WP spray will last up to 18 months if it doesn't get washed away by the rain. Be careful what you use as some of this stuff is toxic to fish and birds. A good sized purple martin hotel always helps.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/07/17 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeSwain48
Placing cow tags (pythian) all in the nooks and crannys seems to drastically cut down on the bugs at my dock. I go out 1st night I am at lake and kill all remaining spiders. Takes 15 min and no spiders for a week or so
Used these for years in lots of applications they are little miracle workers.
Posted By: Redfoxone

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/08/17 07:23 PM

Demon WP, I have not seen a single web where I have sprayed in 2 months.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/09/17 02:58 AM

Flame thrower.
Posted By: bluesea112

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/10/17 07:38 PM

Demons or Cyper WSP. The chemical in the products is Cypermethrin. Buy the wettable powder (wp or wsp), not the liquid. There is a higher percentage of Cypermethrin in the wettable powder. Cypermethrin in a wettable powder should give you about a 90 day residual, and it will kill anything that has 6 or 8 legs; even scorpions. I don't know how the Indians survived without Cypermethrin. It must have been a miserable existence.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/14/17 05:52 AM

Originally Posted By: MikeSwain48

Tried it this year at my parents place and they work great so far. Even have some by the back porch and does a great job. Noticed a decline in the mosquitoes as well. Some people put them under their cowling to keep the dirt robbers away. 10 tags for $30-$40 at Potts Feed Store in Emory. I stopped in to ask and they handed me a pack. Rated to last for 6months or so keeping the flying pests of cattle in the late Spring through early fall. Replace accordingly... (Wear latex gloves while handling.)
Posted By: nash81

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/22/17 07:56 AM

you should leave laugh
Posted By: toofy

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/26/17 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Bassdeer
we use Ortho Home Defense MAX Indoor & Perimeter Insect Killer works for about a month then you have to spray again.

This is what I use and agree that it lasts 1-2 months at least.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4TS86I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 07/31/17 03:37 AM

Any insecticide used needs to be applied so it doesnt wind up in the lake. Put some mothballs in an old sock & hang them on a Small nail in corners. Helps a LOT.
Posted By: Chris Webster

Re: Spiders on boat docks - 08/01/17 09:49 AM

Do you want them dead or just leave? Maybe wash the boat with heavy water can help.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum