Texas Fishing Forum

Zebra mussels

Posted By: Macfrenzy

Zebra mussels - 06/05/17 03:46 PM

I keep my boat in the water at a slip in Texoma. The darn zebra mussels keep clogging up the intake to my livewell. Any ideas on how to prevent this?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Zebra mussels - 06/05/17 03:47 PM

Keep your boat out of the water?
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Zebra mussels - 06/06/17 01:14 PM

Renting a boat lift is the only option I can think of.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Zebra mussels - 06/06/17 01:49 PM

Pour a cup of bleach in the live well and let it mix and and sit for a day. Flush it out good.
From TPWD site:
Power-washing with water at least 140 degrees Fahrenheit and flushing the motor, bilges, live-wells and other water intake systems with 140-degree water will kill zebra mussels. To be effective the water coming out of the flushed systems needs to reach 140 degrees to ensure the entire system was exposed to water hot enough to kill the mussels.

If it is not possible to clean the internal systems or compartments using 140-degree water, the use of either straight vinegar or a chlorine bleach and water solution (one-half ounce bleach to one gallon water) can be effective at killing zebra mussels as long as the mixture is kept in contact with the mussels for 20 to 30 minutes. Clean water should be used to flush the chemicals and dead mussels from the boat following treatment. Boat owners should check with their manufacturer to be sure using these chemicals will not void their warranty.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Zebra mussels - 06/07/17 08:03 AM

boat plugs then let it sit till oxygen depletes
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Zebra mussels - 06/07/17 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: scruboak

Yep but it will take a few days. Up to two weeks.
Posted By: Lloyd5

Re: Zebra mussels - 06/07/17 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
Originally Posted By: scruboak

Yep but it will take a few days. Up to two weeks.

How about a boat plug AND then filling with a bleach solution, letting the bleach solution remain while the boat is stored. Then remove plug and rinse thoroughly when going fishing. ?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum