Texas Fishing Forum

Rat L Traps

Posted By: iVegotGREYS

Rat L Traps - 05/21/17 10:32 PM

Just a quick question on how many people fish with a rat l trap, what conditions you like to use them in, favorite colors and what species you target?
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/22/17 12:07 AM

Lipless crank baits are generally considered a search bait. If nothing else is working, throw one. There are times, such as pre-spawn, that they are the lure to use. With the availability of numerous lipless crank baits that I prefer more, I hardly ever throw Rat-L-Traps anymore. Mainly just in saltwater.
Posted By: barbarian

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/22/17 12:14 AM

Love rattletrap. Probably caught more fish with one than any other bait in my life. Great on grass edges. Top colors - gold, silver, white and red.
Posted By: iVegotGREYS

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/22/17 04:11 AM

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback, thought I'd get more, but i guess not. I don't post a ton on here but, lord it sure is hard to get people to chime in. Maybe I need to add more drama or [censored] talking that seems to get people to talk on here.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/22/17 01:23 PM

I throw them a lot in early spring when bass come up shallow and start roaming. They are excellent in the fall when the bass start gorging on baitfish.
Posted By: Fisherdad58

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/22/17 01:34 PM

I always have a Rat L Trap tied on for Largemouth. It's a good bait to throw when your moving on the trolling motor between spots with thick cover and right up to the edges of cover. You can cover a lot of water with and it catches a lot of fish that way. Some days you find that's about all they will bite.
Green/Gold
Crawdad
Shad colors
Chrome
Chartreuse
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/22/17 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: barbarian
Love rattletrap. Probably caught more fish with one than any other bait in my life. Great on grass edges. Top colors - gold, silver, white and red.

I agree they always seem to catch fish.

Some people only use them around grass, they will catch Bass anywhere, probably one of the best baits made and one of the most under utilized as well.

Gold is my favorite color followed by Red for Bass.
Posted By: BassMajician

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/22/17 03:28 PM

Always loved throwing a red 'trap in late Feb-mid March on the flats around grass edges.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/22/17 06:43 PM

I use them a lot fishing sand bass, striper, and hybrid, although I do prefer a swimbait so I only have one hook to deal with. Rattletraps are great producers, I'd bet money that as many or more fish are caught on lipless cranks than any other single type of artificial lure.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/22/17 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: iVegotGREYS
Just a quick question on how many people fish with a rat l trap, what conditions you like to use them in, favorite colors and what species you target?

Go to is the silver with back black Trap in 1/4 oz. fish it in the wind. Tip: if its blowing hard, throw it underhand and keep it low to avoid backlash.
Posted By: "Old School"

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/24/17 11:41 PM

Red/orange craw during the winter, spring, and fall. The lakes I fish typically have stained water so that's my #1 choice. Chrome w/ blue back during summer. I'll throw them all day long on windy days.
Posted By: Juggnblues

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/26/17 08:07 PM

I have a few in the box but rarely throw em I like under spins better
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/26/17 08:14 PM

Everyone should have a box full of rattle traps. Great baits for a variety of conditions and species.

For bass fishing you might want to change the rear hook to a larger one. Bass have big jaw bones and that back hook isn't very big. I've lost some bigguns on rattle traps over the years. Then discovered by changing out the rear hook I started landing them suckers.

They're great. Love the rattle trap
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/26/17 08:21 PM

I always have one ready...favorite color is sexy shad...great bait to throw when they are chasing shad...crank it and let it flutter...caught a 8.5 large mouth on a lipless crank...and many many more smaller than that...and you never know what you might catch...I have caught crappie, catfish, sand bass and drum...I am down to 4 basic colors...the sexy shad...chrome....fire tiger....and I would call it sunfish...orange, blue and chartreuse...
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/26/17 10:43 PM

I fish Rat L Traps and other lipless crankbaits fairly often, especially for sandbass in a lake near where I grew up. When fishing for sandbass I throw chrome if it is a sunny day. Otherwise usually shad colors. When bass fishing I will throw primarily craw patters and occasionally the chrome or shad pattern. Call me crazy, but when it comes to lipless crankbaits I believe in red treble hooks, especially when chasing sandbass.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/27/17 12:12 AM

Was my go to bait about 20 years ago. I tried them for a while when I got back in to fishing 2 years ago and couldn't catch [censored] so they just take up room in the tackle box for some reason.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Rat L Traps - 05/27/17 12:49 AM

Sometimes they will hit an oddball sound such as the strike king tungsten 2tap and not the regular rat l trap. My buddy will put a whooping on me when they want that different sound.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum