Texas Fishing Forum

lower and upper Guadalupe

Posted By: Garguy93

lower and upper Guadalupe - 04/17/17 02:34 AM

So my wife and I went up to Canyon Lake for a little vacation for our anniversary. We were out there for 4 days. 2nd day we were out there, we kayaked the lower Guad from White Water down to Rio Raft. Didn't catch a whole lot. One of the biggest longear sunfish I have ever seen and an accidental rainbow trout about 15" long. The trout was a funny story by the way lol. The third day we kayaked the upper Guad from Nichols Landing down to Guadalupe Canoe Livery. It was cloudy that day so I decided to go top water the whole day. Caught a couple nice Guadalupe bass, a baby small mouth, 1 baby striper, and a good amount of longear sunfish. All was caught on a shad patterned rapala topwater jerkbait, about 3" long. Didn't change the lure all day. Saw a couple gar, one was about 1' the other about 3'. Nice trip. I always hear people badmouthing the upper Guad right above Canyon Lake, but I will tell you, under the right condition, the right baits, and the right technique, the upper Guad can be a whole lot of fun.
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: lower and upper Guadalupe - 04/17/17 03:29 AM

Was in the Rebecca Creek entry area Saturday and threw tops most of it also. Used several, including a usually productive jitterbug. Nothing. Great day on the water, though. Glad you had better luck!

Re: lower and upper Guadalupe - 04/18/17 02:23 PM

how is the water down there? We were up around 281. If you put in at Rebecca creek, where do you take out at? last weekend was the first time I fished the upper Guad and I loved it.
Posted By: 361V

Re: lower and upper Guadalupe - 04/19/17 12:34 AM

Going topwater on the river? Clear Tiny Torpedo! wink
Posted By: TigersWhiteSon

Re: lower and upper Guadalupe - 04/20/17 07:48 PM

fished canyon not too long ago and noticed there are a lot of gar in the reeds haha

Re: lower and upper Guadalupe - 04/22/17 05:44 AM

I love gar. Honestly, my target species. Everyone goes for the Bass, or the Cats. It's the Gar I want. the fight hard, they have there own personality (if that makes sense and they taste AMAZING. Beautiful Fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum