Texas Fishing Forum

Possum kingdom smallmouth

Posted By: RudiTexas

Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/10/17 01:31 PM

Anyone heard of anyone recently catching smallies out of PK? I've grown up on this lake but since I was born only 17 years ago I never got to catch one out of the lake in the 90's when Smallie fishing was on fire. Caught some spotted bass below PK couple weeks ago so if the spots are surviving the smallies must be too right?
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/10/17 04:37 PM

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/action/stock_bywater.php?WB_code=0590

They haven't been stocked since 2003. I spoke with the guys at TPWD that stock PK and they said that they quit stocking smallmouth at PK because the smallies were too easily affected by golden algae. We haven't had any GA attacks recently and I sure thank the Lord for that. Maybe they will stock smallmouth in the future.

Huge numbers of LM bass now at PK. We lost a lot of big stripers after the floods the last two years and the shad population exploded. The last two years LM Bass spawns have done very very well. I was fishing for crappie out there last week and we took a break to catch some throwback LM bass that were chasing shad in a cove. We quickly caught a couple dozen just for fun casting crappie jigs.

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/12/17 01:40 PM

Yeah I catch tons of largemouth out of PK I'm just dying to find a Smallie... going weekend after next and might go to the clear deep water by the damn and throw some finesse jigs
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/13/17 04:25 PM

I've seen posts of SM being caught in the Brazos below the dam. Idk about the lake itself though.

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/16/17 01:42 AM

Made a day trip to Brazos below Pk 3 times in the past month strictly targeting smallmouth with no luck. Any idea where they've been catching them? I've caught multiple spotted bass and A LOT of largemouth but still none of the brownies I've been after.. thanks
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/16/17 03:16 PM

I have caught a few smallmouths between the dam and Hwy 16 over the years. They were all very small. I haven't seen one in a few years.
Posted By: skeeteroneal

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/17/17 04:07 PM

They are on the Brazos. Just have to be right place/ right time. I just go fishing and get lucky sometimes. This is my PB on the Brazos.

Heres another one on another part of the Brazos caught this summer on a topwater.

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/18/17 01:16 AM

Awesome fish!! I've been itching to catch one.... ended up catch 20+ lbs of largemouth this past Friday but still no small jaws
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/18/17 04:32 PM

I just started bass fishing a couple years ago, and I'm still learning.

I've seen enough fishing shows to realize I'm sort of obsessed with smallmouth, and I've never fished for, or caught one.

What's the best/closest place to give it a go from the DFW area? I'm in north Richardson.

By the way, nice pics!

...------
Posted By: JJHunts

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/18/17 05:36 PM

For fishable populations, Texoma, or Lake Murray, OK. You can target the species on both. Murray is a for sure deal if you fish the rocky structure on the lower end.
Posted By: TexasHarleySales

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/18/17 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Indianation65

I've seen enough fishing shows to realize I'm sort of obsessed with smallmouth, and I've never fished for, or caught one.

What's the best/closest place to give it a go from the DFW area? I'm in north Richardson.

By the way, nice pics!

...------

The dam at Lake Grapevine with swimbaits has worked for me a few times. Incidental catch, but they are definitely there.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/19/17 04:38 PM

Lake Grapevine! That's great, and not too far away from me.

Thanks...

...------
Posted By: over the hill @PK

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/25/17 01:40 PM

There are no small mouth in PK anymore and the TP&W will not stock them anymore
Posted By: tin man 55

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/25/17 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Indianation65

By the way, nice pics!

...------

I've read on here that Ray Roberts has smallmouth.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/25/17 02:02 PM

The smallmouth on pk hang around some of the hydrilla mats there. Keep looking you will be rewarded.
Posted By: trlrman

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/25/17 02:07 PM

did the algae affect the Whitney smallies ?

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/26/17 03:45 PM

Thank you!!! I'll be looking next time I go.

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 04/26/17 03:46 PM

Yes golden algae practically ruined all smallies in the Brazos river basin

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 05/22/17 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
The smallmouth on pk hang around some of the hydrilla mats there. Keep looking you will be rewarded.
Oh really? I'll fish the bridges by hells gate while I'm at it! Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 05/23/17 02:04 PM

Super clear water in Scenic point Cove. I'd swear I could see 20ft deep in that cove. I was there May 6th for a kayak bass tournament. No one caught a smallie that I know of but the large mouth bass fishing was great. I fished near the state park and did ok. Lots of good spots to fish at PK.

Re: Possum kingdom smallmouth - 05/25/17 02:49 AM

Yeah smallmouth are next to non existent but the largemouth fishing out there in the clear water is insanely good on jerkbaits
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum