Texas Fishing Forum

No wake zones

Posted By: YAKaddict

No wake zones - 01/09/17 09:36 PM

What speed do you guys usually go thru no wake zones?
Posted By: texsam

Re: No wake zones - 01/09/17 09:45 PM

If you are bass fishing on c.c. w.o.t is o.k.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: No wake zones - 01/09/17 10:08 PM

I idle only, so that's 2-3 mph I think
Posted By: BThomas

Re: No wake zones - 01/09/17 10:23 PM

Fast enough to not cause a wake.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: No wake zones - 01/09/17 11:50 PM

Less then 5mph is what I was told.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: No wake zones - 01/10/17 12:37 AM

No wake means just that. Whatever it takes..
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: No wake zones - 01/10/17 01:13 AM

If you are boating on Lake Conroe around Inland Marina, you dang sure better not put out a ripple. I got a $250 ticket and I was doing 4 mph. What's just absolutely hilarious is the wake the constable's jet ski put out when he zoomed over to my boat.
Posted By: Fast Strike

Re: No wake zones - 01/10/17 01:37 AM

No Wake two words that a lot of people have no clue what they mean.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: No wake zones - 01/10/17 01:41 AM

I don't think it applies to jet skis and bass boats..
Posted By: stringwise

Re: No wake zones - 01/10/17 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob Landry

Man I wish!

I looked it up once and the rules say, "the minimum speed at which a motorized watercraft is able to move and maintain adequate steerage control."

With my hotfoot my idle speed is 3.3 SOG. I usually goose it to get to 4.5 and feel ok about it.
Posted By: EZ_Legend

Re: No wake zones - 01/10/17 04:14 AM

I had called TRWD once to ask exactly this question because I was on Marine Creek and there were boat and jet skies hauling a$$ all over (not in the ski area) that thing and here I was putting along at 5mph.

Their answer was as long as you are not making a wave/wake that crests. But I guess in my case that only applied to bass boats.
Posted By: toofy

Re: No wake zones - 01/10/17 05:00 AM

If you're up on plane there is minimal wake. banana
Posted By: Poboy K.

Re: No wake zones - 01/10/17 10:51 AM

Originally Posted By: toofy
If you're up on plane there is minimal wake. banana

You know, you're absolutely right. I've wanted to kill people that act like they are being courteous by slowing down, but they only get to HALF PLANE!!!!(MAX WAKE!) It would be much better if they stayed full speed.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: No wake zones - 01/10/17 04:45 PM

I idle, sometimes I kick it out of gear to slow down.
Posted By: 9094

Re: No wake zones - 01/10/17 05:54 PM

Jet skis and wake boats. They will stop a bass boat everytime and the people at marinas almost hurt themselves running to phone to call in a bass boats numbers.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: No wake zones - 01/10/17 06:32 PM

Texas Administrative Code
Next Rule>>

TITLE 31 NATURAL RESOURCES AND CONSERVATION
PART 2 TEXAS PARKS AND WILDLIFE DEPARTMENT
CHAPTER 55 LAW ENFORCEMENT
SUBCHAPTER G BOAT SPEED LIMIT AND BUOY STANDARDS
RULE §55.302 Definitions

The following words and terms, when used in this undesignated head, shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.
(1) Department--Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.
(2) Governing board--The governing board of an incorporated city or town, a commissioners court of a county, or the governing board of a political subdivision of the state created pursuant to the Texas Constitution, Article XVI, §59, as identified in the Parks and Wildlife Code, §31.092(c).
(3) Headway speed--Slow, idle speed, or speed only fast enough to maintain steerage on course.
(4) Regulated area--Any area on public water designated and posted "Slow, No Wake" area by the governing board.
(5) Slow, no wake--Headway speed without creating a swell or wake.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: No wake zones - 01/13/17 05:31 PM

We have a no wake bouy at our cove which has a creek that flows on the side of it , bass boats , jet skies just total ignore it , I tell my wife they just do not what that means .
Posted By: AKMike

Re: No wake zones - 01/15/17 06:55 AM

As someone who lives on a boat I can say half or more of boaters have no idea what no wake means. I've almost been hit by a ski boat behind my houseboat that was on plane and passed within 10ft of the dock(100 yards inside the marina, and jetskis are the worst. When a jet ski makes a 50' 10,000lb boat with pontoon style flotation that drafts 8-10'' rock so the roof almost hits the roof uprights 3-4' away you're going way too fast.

Funny part is you tell them to slow down and they cuss you out, they never expect to be met at the gas pump and clam up though.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: No wake zones - 01/15/17 10:45 AM

No wake means exactly that...no wake. A properly tuned engine should idle any boat without causing a wake...a ripple, yes, but not a wake.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: No wake zones - 01/17/17 01:38 AM

Idle only and I typically just keep one in gear at a time around the marina.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: No wake zones - 01/17/17 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: 9094

Jet skis and wake boats. They will stop a bass boat everytime and the people at marinas almost hurt themselves running to phone to call in a bass boats numbers.

There is always a few old dudes who just sit all day on their boat in the marina, and wait to yell at someone making a wake, They seem to live for it.

I used to fish a private lake in Mineola, Average age was about 80 years old of residence, nobody even fished the lake. It was a good lake to fish and had some nice bass in it. It was about 500 acres, we would sometimes maybe make a wake. It was my buddies parents house, when we got done there would be numerous phones calls made to tattle tale.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: No wake zones - 01/17/17 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
[quote=9094]
There is always a few old dudes who just sit all day on their boat in the marina, and wait to yell at someone making a wake, They seem to live for it.

and sometimes they yell at you when you are using the trolling motor I guess because they are so used to yelling at everyone who goes by.
Posted By: texsam

Re: No wake zones - 01/17/17 01:58 PM

My main complaint touramets they line up to to fish the banks and docks.they idle in on stealth mode.When they
decide to make a move it is bools to the wall.
Posted By: Ranger481

Re: No wake zones - 01/17/17 11:32 PM

How about the wake boat just outside the no wake zone pulling a surfer while your trying to load on the trailer in two foot waves.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: No wake zones - 01/18/17 03:37 PM

The world is full of people to whom the regulations do not apply. The number grows daily. They all offer a rationale for their conduct that makes perfect sense -- but only to the violator and his beer drinking buddies. Strangely enough, I have yet to hear one offer the same justification to a magistrate that they offer to me when I stop them, although one would think that as strongly as they insist that they are right and the rest of the world is wrong, they actually believe the lecture that they spout.

Years ago when I was first assigned to work in a boat, I went to the JP's office where I was supposed to file my cases. I introduced myself and explained my goals on the lake (my predecessor refused to take reports or issue citations for violations, he did that for years because "messin' with Texans while they're recreatin' could cost the Sheriff a whole lotta votes"). The JP told me, "I don't want to see any chickensh!t tickets, and pontoon boats can't make a wake." After many months of issuing citations without ever receiving a court date, I finally figured out that any citation on the lake was a "chickensh!t ticket".

It's the world we live in........
Posted By: onfirecrappie

Re: No wake zones - 01/30/17 07:30 PM

No offense to all of the courteous bass fishermen, but there a a ton of them that enjoy showing the rest of the lake how fast their boat will go inside no wake zones and out. As for pleasure boaters, I chalk that up to the vast majority of them not having a clue about the rules and safe operation of their vessels. It is for certain that they can aggravate the daylight a out of me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum