Texas Fishing Forum

Going noodling!!!!

Posted By: Froghunter

Going noodling!!!! - 12/25/16 05:15 PM

I love fishing. Fishing for all species and using all styles and tactics. I have threatened to go noodling for years now and haven't got it done yet. My Christmas present from my wife is a guided noodling trip on the upper brazos this summer. I'm super excited to get this knocked off the bucket list!!
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 12/25/16 05:33 PM

Didn't think It was legal in Texas? Might have changed. Not my thing
Posted By: pocfishin

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 12/26/16 12:51 AM

It is legal in Texas now.

Handfishing
Fishing by the use of hands only. The use of any other fishing device while handfishing (including but not limited to gaff, pole hook, trap, spear or stick) is unlawful.
No person may intentionally place a trap (including such devices as boxes, barrels or pipes) in public fresh water for the purpose of taking catfish by handfishing.
May be used to take channel, blue and flathead catfish in fresh water only.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdo...evices-for-fish
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 12/26/16 04:46 AM

Cool. Still won't do it
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 12/26/16 10:32 PM

Noodling is kind of a "hold my beer and watch this" sport.
Actually a lot of fun. Even girls do it:)
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 12/26/16 10:54 PM

Yeah, have watched lots of video of people noodling. I've also watched video of people like Steve Irwin handling deadly animals and getting bit in the process.

I ain't doing either one, legal or not.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 12/26/16 11:51 PM

Does anyone know if it is legal to noodle for bass, or would I be better off asking in the bass forum?

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 12/27/16 12:16 AM

Just catfish. It would be best not to ask such things in the bass section (they can be a mite touchy on certain subjects in there).
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 12/27/16 03:57 AM

I'd like to do it just to say I have but someone else is gonna have to reach in first to make sure there's no snapping turtle in there!
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 12/27/16 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: uncle_bagster
Does anyone know if it is legal to noodle for bass, or would I be better off asking in the bass forum?

OT section for that one.

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 12/27/16 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
Noodling is kind of a "hold my beer and watch this" sport.
Actually a lot of fun. Even girls do it:)

Telephoning catfish can be fun also, it is more work than you think
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 12/29/16 05:57 PM

I have noodled in Texoma several times and have caught two one got away, and from that I learned what to do. My Wifes Family members do it a lot, and are very good. I don't go Deep and I do not do Creeks. My PB is a 14lb from Texoma.

Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 01/05/17 03:43 PM

I heard some guys in Florida they were noodling for grouper. I think that would be awesome! go down there with some scuba gear and noodle up some grouper! I myself have went noodling several times on the Brazos River and particularly in Lake Whitney where there is a lot of rocks. I have never seen a big catfish down there personally I've got a lot of good size live bait but no big catfish I've had a few break the line but I didn't know if it was a diver or a gar or catfish or what. I always catch big catfish at Lake Tawakoni and Cedar Creek but never down that way I think that place is fished out.
Posted By: K5RCD

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 01/05/17 04:30 PM

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 01/05/17 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: K5RCD

clap
Posted By: EZ_Legend

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 01/09/17 01:55 AM

I did this when I was younger, mostly at Eagle Mountain and Lake Worth around boat ramps. Pulled a few mud cats out biggest one was just under 35lbs. Had a 10lb (guessing) blue cat nearly break my finger off.... after some scary moments and finding holes big enough to drive a VW beetle into I decided to stick with the rod and reel.

It definitely gets your blood going!
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 01/09/17 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair
I heard some guys in Florida they were noodling for grouper. I think that would be awesome! go down there with some scuba gear and noodle up some grouper! I myself have went noodling several times on the Brazos River and particularly in Lake Whitney where there is a lot of rocks. I have never seen a big catfish down there personally I've got a lot of good size live bait but no big catfish I've had a few break the line but I didn't know if it was a diver or a gar or catfish or what. I always catch big catfish at Lake Tawakoni and Cedar Creek but never down that way I think that place is fished out.

You ever heard of moray eels?

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 01/09/17 10:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim Ford

I had a buddy who used to feed one almost daily, He went out one day during a windy day and was feeding it. He thinks the cloudy water got the eel confused, It bit him in the pinky area. They couldn't get the infection to settle down, eventually he had to have 2 fingers removed and a little part of his hand.

Now the best part, He did go back after he was healed and feed the eel again.
Posted By: terry1937

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 01/09/17 12:55 PM

water moccasins can bite under water. used to do it in 1950's until this boy dove into a wad of snakes breeding and was dead from bites on neck and head. brrrrrr!
Posted By: ratandjmt

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 01/10/17 03:29 PM

Did this several years ago when I still lived in TN. Never again. I grabbed/it grabbed me, then I got jerked under the water while I was trying to pull it out of the hole. Not very fun.
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 01/19/17 03:45 AM

Bahahahaha
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 01/20/17 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
Originally Posted By: Jim Ford

I had a buddy who used to feed one almost daily, He went out one day during a windy day and was feeding it. He thinks the cloudy water got the eel confused, It bit him in the pinky area. They couldn't get the infection to settle down, eventually he had to have 2 fingers removed and a little part of his hand.

Now the best part, He did go back after he was healed and feed the eel again.

We were diving a channel edge in The Keys and I saw a moray eyeing my buddy's foot in front of him. I swatted it in the head with my speargun and told my buddy. Don't know if it was actually about to grab the foot, but it sure looked that way. After losing a tug of war with one (the ONLY one) I had ignorantly speared, I'd hate to think about one grabbing my foot and pulling back into the coral..

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 01/20/17 04:40 PM

Jim, I've caught moray eels on rod & reel while fishing out of Ensenada, Baja California. They are STRONG! Something tells me you'd lose that particular tug-of-war that you describe.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 01/21/17 02:14 AM

We do it every year in May, June and July on eagle mountain and lake worth it's a blast.
Posted By: NitroNX898

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 02/09/17 02:36 AM

Here is one I got
Posted By: NitroNX898

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 02/09/17 02:37 AM

And another
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Going noodling!!!! - 02/10/17 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Heard they always swallow head first.

Bahahahaha