Texas Fishing Forum

Introductions

Posted By: zenmic

Introductions - 11/19/16 03:31 AM

Hello all,

Just moved to the Plano, TX. I have been fishing all of my life. Lived the last 10 years in the Los Angeles, CA area and got into fly fishing as well, by no means am I an expert at fly fishing, just like it and want to do more. I grew up on bait, and wait with a classic bamboo cane pole, do quite a bit of spin fishing, and have nabbed my fair share of lunkers and dinks. Before Los Angeles, I was in Memphis, TN and before that I was in Mississippi.

I prefer freshwater and really considering a kayak. I had a float tube in Southern California, but had to get rid of it as part of the move here. Hoping to learn the area and where I can have some fun fishing (and catching) and eventually a nice spot that I can teach my son (soon to be 4 years old) the fun of fishing too.
Posted By: SteveHummert

Re: Introductions - 11/19/16 03:47 AM

welcome
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Introductions - 11/20/16 05:28 PM

kayak fishing is GREAT, do it! welcome
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Introductions - 11/20/16 09:42 PM

welcome
Ray Roberts, just sayin....
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Introductions - 11/20/16 11:49 PM

As a former Southern Californian, I can tell you that the biggest culture shock you'll have is that California sand bass are NOT the same as freshwater sandbass. But you'll get used to fishing for those here!

Re: Introductions - 12/04/16 07:51 AM

Thanks for the kind words all. Where is a good place to learn about kayaks and to try them out? I have been thinking about White Rock Lake in Dallas. Actually I have thought about trying my luck fishing there too. However, I am in Plano proper and want to check the local scene. I figure the fish here are not near as over pressured as they are in SoCal park lakes/ponds.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Introductions - 12/04/16 01:40 PM

welcomeTo the TFF.
Posted By: BigCaseyB206

Re: Introductions - 12/05/16 09:59 AM

Originally Posted By: zenmic
Thanks for the kind words all. Where is a good place to learn about kayaks and to try them out? I have been thinking about White Rock Lake in Dallas. Actually I have thought about trying my luck fishing there too. However, I am in Plano proper and want to check the local scene. I figure the fish here are not near as over pressured as they are in SoCal park lakes/ponds.

Call Mariner Sails on I-35 Stemmons in Dallas - they used to have Demo days on White Rock Lake every so often and they have a huge selection of kayaks! Nice people to deal with too!
Posted By: burner42

Re: Introductions - 12/05/16 04:17 PM

Hey Zenmic,
Welcome to Texas! Tons of fishing in North and East Texas, you are literally within a 2 hour drive of several fantastic fishing lakes. I live in east dallas a block away from White Rock Lake, I fish it all the time for fun, you will catch fish there for sure, just nothing bigger than 2-3 lbs usually. My buddy rents kayaks and paddle boards, he is a couple blocks from the lake and will let you take them home or go other lakes, really flexible. Give him a call and good luck ! Kayak Rentals/Mike Swopes 214-669-1663.
Posted By: Mike Yeager

Re: Introductions - 12/06/16 01:16 PM

welcome
Posted By: wish2fish

Re: Introductions - 12/07/16 03:17 PM

I lived in Plano for years and used to hit up Oak Point park weekly. There are some decent catfish in that pond as well. In the summer just find you some of the big grasshoppers and watch what happens. Also, white rock creek begins up in your area, and I used to catch a lot of bass in the creek between Legacy and Spring Creek roads. For lake fishing I would always try Lavon or Purtis Creek for kayak. Caught an 8 lb. large mouth at Lavon about a month ago. Good luck.
Posted By: getbent956

Re: Introductions - 12/12/16 04:05 PM

There is a site called Texas Kayak fisherman. Mostly salt but a few freshwater people. Mariner Marine is good also Austin canoe and kayak. Kayak fishing is a lot of fun, make friends and don't go alone when possible. Buy a nice pfd that you'll wear all the time.

Re: Introductions - 12/14/16 02:06 AM

I still have my PFD, waders, and boots from my float tube. Waiting for the year to flip, so I can get the best bang on a fishing license, and for it to warm up before I try kayaking.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Introductions - 12/14/16 02:29 AM

The license year ends the last day of august. You can also buy a year to date license at any time of the year for a couple of bucks more.

Re: Introductions - 12/14/16 11:54 PM

Really? I thought Texas was like California in that it follows the calendar year. It does not?
Posted By: RHP

Re: Introductions - 12/16/16 03:39 AM

Welcome.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Introductions - 12/16/16 04:04 PM

No, unfortunately it does start/end in August. Also welcome to Texas. Kayak fishing is great, it's what got me into fishing before I got into a boat. You'll have a lot of fun, best of luck.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Introductions - 12/19/16 06:08 PM

Welcome to Texas! I live in Allen (hence the handle) which as you probably know is right next to Plano. My boat is out in East Texas on Bob Sandlin. Actually my double wide is a few blocks off the lake, can't afford lake property. My subdivision has their own ramp though. Look me up in the spring and I'll take you out on one of our East Texas lakes. Not Fork though...way overrated and too much pressure especially in the spring.

Re: Introductions - 12/23/16 06:29 AM

Nice...this should be roughly week 5 for us here. Still out of suitcases. I am looking into doing a rental and outing at White Rock Lake in Dallas before I pull the trigger on a kayak, although it is looking like a Sea Eagle inflatable since I am short on space, and have no roof rack, yet. I need to get legal and get a license too. Do not want to get lines wet and then have the local law-enforcement bag and tag me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum