Texas Fishing Forum

Drum roll II

Posted By: Bruce Allen

Drum roll II - 09/28/16 11:38 PM

if you like to eat white "meat" fish the freshwater drum is a great meal.

They have had a bad rap because of their cousin the black drum. Which indeed is a foul tasting animal.

But our freshwater drum, taste a lot closer to a red fish, which are found all over Texas are not the same beast. They will give up one heck of a fight on a crank bait or worm.

They sure gave about 40 kids the thrill of their lives at the Wood County Kidfish in June when a school of them moved into the SRA pond and the kids starting catching them. Some were pretty big too.

Ok now you have caught one of these brutes and your freezer is nearly empty, no crappie to be found.

Take it home, filet it out and then take the skin off. You will have two very nice white flaky filets. Broil them with a little lemon pepper and you might say it tastes better than the aforementioned crappie. Ah sorry, that is just un Texas to say that. One thing that I do agree is that when they get over 20 lbs they just don't taste as good. But catching a 20 lb drum is fun. fun, fun!

They certainly are not in the same company as carp and buffalo. They give up a good fight and taste a whole lot better than bass. And they also eat zebra mussels. A win win for us.
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: Drum roll II - 09/29/16 12:12 AM

So is that why when I got to a lake with zebra muscles someone catches a drum, because there's so much good for them to eat?
Posted By: 9094

Re: Drum roll II - 09/29/16 12:24 AM

Small ones are good to eat. Very white meat. But they do not freeze well they get mushy when thawed out.
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Drum roll II - 09/29/16 01:29 AM

I kept waiting for the punch line. I felt like at any moment there was a joke coming.
Posted By: popcork

Re: Drum roll II - 09/29/16 03:46 PM

What is the difference between a gasper goo and a drum or is there one. I am not up-to-date on this type of fish?
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Drum roll II - 09/29/16 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: popcork
What is the difference between a gasper goo and a drum or is there one. I am not up-to-date on this type of fish?

same fish
Posted By: Luke98

Re: Drum roll II - 09/29/16 10:53 PM

Grew up being taught they was trash. My 7 yr old sons HAD to eat one this year so I cleaned it for him. I can nearly promise that from that day forward I won't release another lol.

I've froze some for a couple months and they thawed out and cook nicely. But I was vacuum sealing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum