Texas Fishing Forum

Nighttime fishing questions

Posted By: tbucket101

Nighttime fishing questions - 08/08/16 05:13 PM

Building some LED fishing lights and wanted to take momma out and do some night time fishing...live next to EM and new to the idea of nighttime fishing, not sure if EM would be the best place. Looking for some tips on what's area to fish and best lakes to try. Crappie or sand bass would be the target or anything else the lights bring in.

Appreciate the info as always!
Posted By: GROD

Re: Nighttime fishing questions - 08/08/16 05:27 PM

Just fish lighted boat docks...
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Nighttime fishing questions - 08/08/16 07:16 PM

Boat or bank? If boat, I like to drift fish at night.
Posted By: tbucket101

Re: Nighttime fishing questions - 08/08/16 07:37 PM

It would be by boat.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Nighttime fishing questions - 08/08/16 10:41 PM

Not sure about EM but my wife loves that kind of fishing. We either go tie up to trees or bridge. Also places I know where there's humps and either drift over or try and stay on spot with tm.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Nighttime fishing questions - 08/09/16 01:14 AM

Bridges are always good spots especially if you can find a brush pile under them. You have to be patient though. Tie off and drop the lights in and wait. It takes 30 minutes to an hour to draw the bait fish in and really have a bite. Took my grandson out last week. He wanted to move on after about 45 minutes but then the bite started and stayed good until we ran out of minnows about 6 hours later.

If I don't find a brush pile, I like to sit on the edge of a creek channel running under the bridge. Also, if you use minnows, don't worry about them dying. I was using all the dead ones because I could hook them better so they weren't as easy for the fish to steal. I had more bites and caught more fish with dead ones than he did with the live ones.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Nighttime fishing questions - 08/10/16 04:25 PM

Try to find a spot that has a mercury light that illuminates the water like on a dock. Fish will normally be going there to feed at night and you will have more success. Also, if you don't see a ball of bait around your light after 30 min or so, your probably in the wrong spot. The fish are coming to feed and if there's not a lot of bait they won't be coming.

I fish allot at night in the summer using Green lights. It can be very good when you can attract bait and fish. However, if fish are not normally in that spot you won't be successful just dropping it in a single night. If you owned or rented a dock or slip you can change that by putting the light on a timer. Once you attract baitfish, the bigger fish will eventually come. This won't help you if you are just dropping a green light somewhere the fish are not normally at.

Keep track of the moon phases. Full moon is best for night fishing.

Good luck.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum