Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees

Posted By: C130

Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/02/16 01:36 PM

I tried searching but couldn't find anything. Is $15 the standard for Lake Conroe boat ramp launch fees? I live in Magnolia and take 149 to 105. April Plaza is about the closest marina but $15 is ridiculous and they told me they close at 6pm on weekdays. Any suggestions on boat ramps? I'm familiar with Cagle and have a park pass but I'm trying to avoid the north end some and the 105 area is closer to where I live.

Any issues with the public ramps as far as theft? I'd rather pay the $15 and be more secure, just wondering if there are any marinas that charge a more reasonable fee. I guess this is the norm and the marinas obviously only want the boat slip customers only and not the people launching their boats. Same thing in Tennessee but I just recently paid $5 to launch.
Posted By: curtisd

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/02/16 01:53 PM

I launch on the east side off FM 830, its free and never had a problem with break ins.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/02/16 02:14 PM

Welcome to Conroe! Besides April Plaza there is Inland and Lakeview, I believe both charge $15.

You have Scott's Ridge off of 1097, Cagle, 830 and there was another one off of 1097 by the Shell Station. And I almost forgot Stow-a-way, they were $10 last time I was up there.

Not many choices when you get down to it.

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/02/16 03:18 PM

Thanks, I hated Lake Conroe before and guess I hate it even more now. I was just shocked by the $15 charge. My sons friend lives in April Sound so we've been able to go to their ramp some some and been to Cagle also so we haven't been to a Marina. We've been fishing at night some and don't want to mess with the north end at night. I know it's just what we are used to so guess I need to get over it!

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/02/16 03:30 PM

I tend to avoid it from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I have buddies that fish it regularly, but to each his own. I told April Plaza that if they were going to charge that much maybe they should put some money into the ramp and slips! I go to Inland when I go, good ramp, but can get crazy when you have to make the run by Papa's and Willy's in the afternoon.

Have you tried Scott's Ridge? I think the pass is good there as well and for you it is not that much farther up the road.
Posted By: jaw116

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/02/16 04:06 PM

I keep my boat at the Palms right next to the 830 ramp. Seem like a busy ramp judging from the number of vehicles parked along the road. Depending on how often you are fishing the lake $15 can add up quick! Quick enough that you can store your boat at the Palms and have valet service!
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/02/16 06:41 PM

U know if the ramp is good and parking is safe i'd gladly pay $10.

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/02/16 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: jaw116
I keep my boat at the Palms right next to the 830 ramp. Seem like a busy ramp judging from the number of vehicles parked along the road. Depending on how often you are fishing the lake $15 can add up quick! Quick enough that you can store your boat at the Palms and have valet service!

That's what I'm thinking of doing. We are going out at least twice a week so I might be better off just storing it up on the lake. I don't mind paying $5 or even $10 if it's a good, safe place but $15 is outrageous. I guess they make enough off the boat slip rentals they don't really want people launching there.
Posted By: jaw116

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/02/16 08:25 PM

The Palms is private. Valet hours run from 8am to 8pm in peak season. It is also gated but you have 24 hr. access. If you are launching early you can put the boat in yourself and disconnect your trailer and when you are done fishing they pick you up with a tractor and drive you straight to your storage unit. I can leave work and get in a few hours of fishing during the week no problem. When you arrive you radio in and in a few minutes a tractor is at your unit to pick you up an launch. You leave your vehicle in the unit when the boat is out on the water. It's extremely convenient, but you pay for that. They also have a sister property closer to the bridge as well. I think the rates there are a little higher. But once again you get what you pay for, I bet you'd fish more if you didn't have to trailer the boat to and from as well!
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/02/16 08:40 PM

I store my boat trailered at one of the Travis marinas. I have unlimited 24H access to my boat and a ramp, and an air conditioned rest room with shower if I want it for $100 a month.

I dry stacked it for about three years when the ramps were closed from the drought but it was $185 a month and all of the stipulations that go with dealing with an over-zealous marina manager. I was limited to 8-5 or the boat spent the night at the courtesy dock.

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/02/16 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: C130

That's what I'm thinking of doing. We are going out at least twice a week so I might be better off just storing it up on the lake. I don't mind paying $5 or even $10 if it's a good, safe place but $15 is outrageous. I guess they make enough off the boat slip rentals they don't really want people launching there.

There is a storage place right near April Plaza on River Road? They have a nice ramp, I know a couple of people who have kept boats there. Might be worth a look.
Posted By: MBoehm1729

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/02/16 11:12 PM

I believe you can pay a yearly fee of $300 at Lakeview marina and get 24hr access and launch as many times a year as you like.

Mike

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/03/16 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: E5Zero
Originally Posted By: C130

There is a storage place right near April Plaza on River Road? They have a nice ramp, I know a couple of people who have kept boats there. Might be worth a look.

I think I test drove a boat there, thought it was cool they had their own ramp. The guy that owned the boat said it was very reasonable also.

I'll check with Lakeview Marina also, I wouldn't mid paying a flat fee also for unlimited use. Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions.
Posted By: SFAJACKS44

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/03/16 04:00 AM

Stow-a-way Marina was 10$ last time I launched there
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/03/16 04:10 AM

Has anyone ever had problems at Scott's Ridge? I've never launched there. I normally go to Cagle or Stowaway.
Posted By: don the angler

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/03/16 11:16 AM

Well I hope the folks @ the City of Lewisville do not read this thread. I pay $25 for an annual pass for their boat ramps & the ramps are first class.
Posted By: H-TownCrappieMan

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/03/16 01:33 PM

Years ago when I had my VIP and 150 HP Force we used Scott's landing. It was a 2 lane but very narrow and if you went off sideways there was a steep drop off. It was an honor system $3 but since then I think its about $5 or so.

I always use FM 830 launch with my boat but like they said, on holidays you get some dudes that think they can stay there all day with their jet skis. I've seen many occasions where police had to come out and get people out of the way so folks can launch and load boats (we were here first mentality doesn't cut it when you need to launch and load - that's what its there for).
Posted By: LakeconroeNoob

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/07/16 09:21 PM

Scott Ridge is great. Hardly any early morning traffic. Park pass is good there. Ramp is good. And fishing in the caney is always good.
Posted By: LoneStarFish

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/08/16 05:51 PM

I use the ramp at 830, haven't had any issues there. I fish the north end, so if it's windy I use Scott's Ridge ($5) and don't have to cross the lake.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/11/16 11:31 AM

There have been break-ins at the 830 ramp but I have not heard of any this year. They happen there becasue it is not patrolled by police. If people are fishing the bank then it is safe but if no one there you could be robbed as it is dark with no lights at night. It is free but that is no help if you get robbed.
Scott's Ridge is $5 and is patrolled by police. I have personally seen them on many occasions driving through the parking lot. Safe and secure. Have not heard of any break-ins there.
All the other marinas I am not sure of but $10 is the going rate. Prices of gas and other fishing amenities have not gone up lately so there is no reason to raise boat launch fees unless they are just greedy or needing the money for repairs and upkeep. Either way I do not pay more than $10 to launch my jon boat and especially my kayak.
If people stop going to the high priced ramps they may adjust their prices or go out of business. People can make this happen if they pitch in and get the word out that we water folks will not be robbed by greedy owners.
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/25/16 06:56 AM

I live in Walden on Lake Conroe and thankfully they have 2 boat launches that I have access too since I live in the neighborhood. cheers
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/25/16 12:12 PM

When Lake Travis was at it's all-time low, there were only two ramps that were available to the public, at least on the south end of the lake. Emerald Pt Marina was charging $35 to launch and you had to be back by 5PM because they set concrete blocks in front of the ramp and locked the gate so you couldn't get out. Highland Lakes Marina was charging $40.
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/28/16 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
When Lake Travis was at it's all-time low, there were only two ramps that were available to the public, at least on the south end of the lake. Emerald Pt Marina was charging $35 to launch and you had to be back by 5PM because they set concrete blocks in front of the ramp and locked the gate so you couldn't get out. Highland Lakes Marina was charging $40.
Isn't Squaw Creek $30.00?
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/28/16 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: SFAJACKS44
Stow-a-way Marina was 10$ last time I launched there

We went out of Stow-away yesterday. I was amazed to see that it is still $10. Don't wait to buy gas there though!

FM 830 is a break-in waiting to happen. Two girls (eye-witnesses) tried to break into my truck several years back. When they couldn't, they keyed the length of one side of my truck.

Scott's Ridge is great if you always have two people to launch/stow your boat.

Re: Lake Conroe Boat Ramp Fees - 08/29/16 12:10 AM

We've been lucky and have friends that live in April Sound. We've been able to use their ramp which is close and saves a lot of money. Only issue is the water can get rough when trying to load as there's nothing to break the waves. We still go to Cagle some also. It's pretty ridiculous what the marinas are charging. We took the boat up to Stowaway today, first time I'd been there. Still learning the lake but can't figure the fish out for sure.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum