Texas Fishing Forum

Tilapia on Squaw Creek

Posted By: jwcromer

Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 07/28/16 03:03 PM

never fished for tilapia,can someone tell me what rig,what bait,what area,know the like warm water,so this must be a good time. grandsons want to catch some fish. thanks for the info
Posted By: J2H1

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 07/28/16 08:17 PM

I was always told earth worms.
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 07/28/16 08:42 PM

I've only fished for them once out there. I used a drop shot rig with night crawlers and caught more than I wanted to clean. I would imagine the river is bank to bank full of them right now.
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 07/28/16 10:19 PM

Never fished this lake, is there access to fish the banks there? If so...any location help would be appreciated, thx.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 07/29/16 02:33 PM

You can fish for Tilapia with a standard crappie hook with a weight a foot or so up the line but the best rig I've seen/heard is basically a "heavy drop shot rig" with the hook up a foot or so above the weight. Earth worms for bait although you often catch a couple throwing a crankbait for bass. Squaw is open to bank fishing Thurs, Fri, Sat & Sun. It is open to boats Fri, Sat & Sun.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 07/29/16 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: J2H1
I was always told earth worms.

Plus #1 on the night crawlers. Caught many using them! hooked
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 07/29/16 04:52 PM

Make sure you KEEP all you catch! Even if you don't want to clean them, you cannot return them to the water.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 07/30/16 12:50 PM

Red wigglers
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 07/30/16 01:25 PM

I have caught some big ones at Fairfield in my cast net. The fillets looked almost like crappie but tasted terrible. What am I missing?
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 07/30/16 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: dmunsie
Never fished this lake, is there access to fish the banks there? If so...any location help would be appreciated, thx.

At the boat ramp only, there is a couple of docks.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 08/03/16 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert

At the boat ramp only, there is a couple of docks.

Not quite true. They have about a mile or so of the lake shoreline that is accessible through the park on the west side, just south of the boat ramp. Several little pockets and points to fish.

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 11/18/16 05:45 PM

Went out there yesterday and banked. Didn't really know where to fish for the Tilapia...from the bank. Any tips or locations to try? Thx.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 11/18/16 06:37 PM

worm under a float, or dead stick on a drop shot....they school up in the river right now. Get up there and have fun.

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 11/18/16 06:57 PM

Thx! I'm assuming I need a boat to get to those locations?
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 11/18/16 07:22 PM

Thx! I'm assuming I need a boat to get to those locations?

Yes you do, but the guys fishing from the bank fishing areas are killing them in the creeks as well. The one by the swim beach is loaded with people fishing for them off the bank. And all of those guys have buckets full of fish.
Posted By: Thunk

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 11/20/16 12:01 PM

Went yesterday and caught all I felt like cleaning. Nightcrawlers will get the job done. They are there. They reproduce like crazy and you should have no problem finding fish whether you are fishing from the bank or in a boat. Like has been said, drop shot about a foot or so off the bottom. I cut my canadian nightcrawlers in thirds and watched my line for the thump! PM me for more info.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 11/20/16 05:22 PM

cast net , the XXL size . Wagon to haul them with .

Re: Tilapia on Squaw Creek - 11/21/16 10:26 PM

Thanks, pm sent. wink
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum