Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Belton Releases

Posted By: donothin

Lake Belton Releases - 07/22/16 12:14 PM

Lake Belton is still 15' high but the COE reduced the release. Wonder why when most of the other lakes in the system are close to normal.
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Lake Belton Releases - 07/22/16 03:24 PM

Trying to figure out the COE policy on water release is in the Mission Impossible category. The have cost the local marinas millions by holding the water level high when there did not appear to be a logical reason.

Have you tried asking the local office why they are not lowering the lake to conservation level?
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: Lake Belton Releases - 07/22/16 09:50 PM

It doesn't make sense until the COE directives are understood. Mostly it is about downstream conditions and demands for water. Flood control and water conservation is the primary function of most COE reservoirs and often they deal with one extreme or the other (drought or flood). Either way the COE has directives, rules & laws they follow when it comes to managing the lakes. It is seldom any one person that makes decisions about the what, where, when and how the COE operates.
Posted By: SALLYSUE

Re: Lake Belton Releases - 07/22/16 11:29 PM

TLP is a mess and what I am hearing all ramps will be closed for a while
Posted By: donothin

Re: Lake Belton Releases - 07/23/16 11:23 AM

I understand, but the releases from other lakes in the system with the exception of Somerville are back to pretty much normal. They reduced the release from Belton by about 1000cfs. Not criticizing, just trying to understand the logic.
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: Lake Belton Releases - 07/24/16 12:29 AM

Belton has a small spillway like Somerville and Granger. Does anyone know the maximum amount of water the COE can release from Belton? I know Somerville tops out at a mere 2500 cfps.. and that Whitney returned to normal level last week but the COE can drop that lake a foot per day..
Posted By: PTGfish

Re: Lake Belton Releases - 07/26/16 12:39 AM

Whitney is already a foot low. That makes no sense, you would think the water from belton would satisfy any needs downstream. I heard that they can't charge for water if the lake is above pool. Don't really believe that but who knows.
Posted By: Jim A.

Re: Lake Belton Releases - 07/26/16 12:55 AM

does anyone know how much lower the level has to drop for the ramps to open?
Posted By: big10

Re: Lake Belton Releases - 07/26/16 01:00 AM

Belton tops out around 6000 cfps.
Posted By: Big Brown Bass

Re: Lake Belton Releases - 07/30/16 02:55 PM

Are there no ramps open on Belton now?

Re: Lake Belton Releases - 07/30/16 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim A.
does anyone know how much lower the level has to drop for the ramps to open?
14 days after it gets to normal

Re: Lake Belton Releases - 07/30/16 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Brown Bass
Are there no ramps open on Belton now?
Lake View is open and we always called it Franks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum