Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Granbury....What do I do?

Posted By: Sterndog

Lake Granbury....What do I do? - 06/18/16 06:51 PM

Hi all, I moved to Granbury about a year ago and never have gone out and fished the area. My girlfriend wants me to take her out this weekend and I was looking for advice as to what species we should target and geographically where on the lake we could hope to have the best success. We do have fishing kayaks... Not looking for people to give us GPS coordinates just would love some general advice on where to go and what to use. I read on Texas department of wildlife the lake has strippers. Neither of us have ever caught one so, any additional advice on them would be great! Thank you in advance.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Lake Granbury....What do I do? - 06/18/16 07:18 PM

Sand bass and striper fishing is not good and may not be for awhile. I think black bass fishing is your only hope.
Posted By: Sterndog

Re: Lake Granbury....What do I do? - 06/18/16 07:38 PM

Thank you Dg.... Should I just go pick up to live bait or throw artificial at them do you think?

Re: Lake Granbury....What do I do? - 06/18/16 08:52 PM

Can't help ya on the black bass fishing, I had to go to Whitney to get my sand bass and striper fix.
Posted By: mrdvant

Re: Lake Granbury....What do I do? - 06/18/16 09:56 PM

I've been told catfishing can be good on Granbury, but I've never had much luck. The one time I went there trying for catfish, I set up near the dam and threw out cut shad and caught nothing but striper. Good sized ones though.

I know there's at least some largemouth in there and a ton of carp if you're into carp fishing.

I haven't taken my boat out there because the water has been high since I got it, but it looks like there are a lot of decent features in the area near the dam.

I've also been told that you can get down to the water below the dam for some good catfish.

Re: Lake Granbury....What do I do? - 06/18/16 11:56 PM

We have been catching some nice cats on jugs.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Lake Granbury....What do I do? - 06/19/16 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Sterndog
Hi all, I moved to Granbury about a year ago and never have gone out and fished the area. My girlfriend wants me to take her out this weekend and I was looking for advice as to what species we should target and geographically where on the lake we could hope to have the best success. We do have fishing kayaks... Not looking for people to give us GPS coordinates just would love some general advice on where to go and what to use. I read on Texas department of wildlife the lake has strippers. Neither of us have ever caught one so, any additional advice on them would be great! Thank you in advance.

If this was true, my wife would never let me go.... bolt
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Lake Granbury....What do I do? - 06/19/16 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By: toofy
Originally Posted By: Sterndog

If this was true, my wife would never let me go.... bolt

you never know , once she sees one she may be hooked
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Lake Granbury....What do I do? - 06/19/16 02:13 PM

You'll need to wait until the water clears.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Lake Granbury....What do I do? - 06/20/16 01:52 PM

Granbury strippers go nuts around when caught on fishing poles .
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Lake Granbury....What do I do? - 06/20/16 01:53 PM

Granbury strippers go nuts around when caught on fishing poles .
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Lake Granbury....What do I do? - 06/21/16 12:57 PM

Catfishing at Pecan Plantation Marina in the summer at night is the bomb.com. Using chum is $ for the eater size fish, never caught any large ones near there though, just keeper size channels. The marina and docks near there hold crappie too and you can catch some along with some sand bass near the marina if you use a green fishing light.

Eric
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum