Texas Fishing Forum

Side Imaging- how many use it, for what species and how do you use

Posted By: tbucket101

Side Imaging- how many use it, for what species and how do you use - 06/14/16 10:31 PM

Just curious, weighing the options of spending an extra $500 JUST for SI on a FF.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Side Imaging- how many use it, for what species and how do you use - 06/14/16 10:37 PM

I only use it to view structure.
Posted By: shutupandfish

Re: Side Imaging- how many use it, for what species and how do you use - 06/14/16 10:46 PM

I use it crappie fishing to locate underwater structure and fish on the structure.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Side Imaging- how many use it, for what species and how do you use - 06/15/16 01:02 AM

Side imaging is much more important than down imaging. One lets you see 150' (or more) each direction and the other just looks straight down. If you want to look straight down then regular old 2d sonar can do that cheaper.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Side Imaging- how many use it, for what species and how do you use - 06/15/16 01:10 AM

I use Humminbird Side Imaging. I just bass fish but see many other species.

I use it to find bass and then I fish for them. I don't waste time fishing where there are no fish.

I start with using the Side Imaging and then after locating them, I switch to 360 to maintain position and keep up with their movements. 360 is Side Imaging that rotates.

I basically "sight fish" all year.
Posted By: shill

Re: Side Imaging- how many use it, for what species and how do you use - 06/15/16 01:42 AM

For crappie fishing locate structure, or brush piles with fish in them before I wet a hook
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Side Imaging- how many use it, for what species and how do you use - 06/15/16 03:50 PM

I have a Helix 5 on my kayak and I use ALL the time to find structure that holds fish. If you pass over something with just a DI you see only below and you will miss that large pile of old trees no more than 50 feet away that holds bass, crappie, and cats. It is nice to be able to see something near you to explore for fish. It makes looking for fish so much easier and saves you MANY hours of single pass down scans.
Posted By: pelican

Re: Side Imaging- how many use it, for what species and how do you use - 06/16/16 01:23 AM

I use mine for bass, blue cats, channel cats, blue gill, crappie, sand bass and small mouth buffalo, so everything I fish for. You can locate fish, structure and cover in deep water of shallow water. You can see left, right and straight below you. Side Image is a game changer, and IMO worth the $

Re: Side Imaging- how many use it, for what species and how do you use - 06/16/16 09:27 PM

This is my dilemma....

or........

And after test driving the touch unit, its pretty nice, small but nice. But the 10 is NIIIICE as well. Good problem to have I know but still a dilemma.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Side Imaging- how many use it, for what species and how do you use - 06/16/16 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: tbucket101
This is my dilemma....

or........

And after test driving the touch unit, its pretty nice, small but nice. But the 10 is NIIIICE as well. Good problem to have I know but still a dilemma.

What is you dilemma? Which one to purchase or which one to use since you have both?

Certainly you would not or did not purchase them at that price point!!!!!!

Re: Side Imaging- how many use it, for what species and how do you use - 06/16/16 11:09 PM

To go the single unit route or get 2 Lowrance units for close to the same price.....and yeah, unfortunately I'll pay this as I have a larger gift card to use that will put a heck of a dent in that prices.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum