Texas Fishing Forum

Lavon boating and beaches?

Posted By: Anchorman

Lavon boating and beaches? - 06/02/16 10:51 PM

I've only been there a time or two but went for the fishing. We are looking for a nearby lake to meet some friends this weekend who all have boats. Texoma is always a choice but Lavon is smack in the middle of where everyone lives. Are there any public beaches or places we could claim a spot on a bank somewhere for a day of fun in the sun with friends and family? I'm also wondering if it will get bad crowded on the weekends? I hardly ever hear anything about Lavon. Seemed like a nice lake when i was there last week in the Jon boat. But I didn't see much of the lake. . I'll have the pontoon out this weekend.

Any info on Lavon much appreciated.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Lavon boating and beaches? - 06/02/16 11:01 PM

Avalon park had a decent beach years ago but I was there last year and it was a mud hole. The drought a few years ago took a huge toll on Lavon and all the parks. Now high water is making it worse. Good luck on your weekend whatever you decide.
Posted By: MV

Re: Lavon boating and beaches? - 06/03/16 02:31 AM

go to the Corps web site and see whats open
Posted By: RodneyH06

Re: Lavon boating and beaches? - 06/03/16 07:13 PM

Cove just north of the power plant is pretty good, but you will have to wash feet every time in and out of the boat due to clay.
North side of the island is the same.
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: Lavon boating and beaches? - 06/03/16 09:14 PM

North side of the island and possibly East Fork. Not sure what shape it's in right now.
Posted By: nate king

Re: Lavon boating and beaches? - 06/04/16 08:42 AM

might be a little hard to find beaches with high water right now
Posted By: fishincontrol

Re: Lavon boating and beaches? - 06/04/16 11:02 AM

The island...imagine if that thing could talk.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Lavon boating and beaches? - 06/04/16 02:44 PM

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking the island too but figured it was a pretty "popular" place.

We probably won't be going now that all this rain has the creeks flooding. I'm thinking Nate is probably right.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Lavon boating and beaches? - 06/07/16 05:24 PM

Lake Lavon is really a mud whole. No beaches you can pull a boat up to.

Go up to Ray Roberts, launch at Isle du Bois and head toward the dam. just before you get to the dam on the left hand side (east side) is a small cove with sand and some rock. You can beach your boat there. I spent many a Sunday afternoon there with another boating family.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Lavon boating and beaches? - 06/07/16 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Go up to Ray Roberts, launch at Isle du Bois and head toward the dam. just before you get to the dam on the left hand side (east side) is a small cove with sand and some rock. You can beach your boat there. I spent many a Sunday afternoon there with another boating family.
+1, Ray Roberts would be a much better choice. Lavon has man made beaches at Collin and Mallard that were actually pretty nice at one time. You have to pull you boat up to the side because they are buoyed off. I went to Avalon a lot when in high school and it has never had a good beach. Texoma is my favorite the islands are an excellent place to go. Even in a fairly stout south wind you can launch at Loes and be ok. There are also some real nice spots in the Little Mineral arm. Launch at Grand Pappys. Not sure about water clarity on Texoma right now. It might be the color of the Red River.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Lavon boating and beaches? - 06/07/16 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump jumper
Originally Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

+1, Ray Roberts would be a much better choice. Lavon has man made beaches at Collin and Mallard that were actually pretty nice at one time. You have to pull you boat up to the side because they are buoyed off. I went to Avalon a lot when in high school and it has never had a good beach. Texoma is my favorite the islands are an excellent place to go. Even in a fairly stout south wind you can launch at Loes and be ok. There are also some real nice spots in the Little Mineral arm. Launch at Grand Pappys. Not sure about water clarity on Texoma right now. It might be the color of the Red River.

I talked with my Jerry Shipe today and he told me that Texoma is RED right now.

Lavon doesn't get too crowded, so there will be a place to beach. North of the Island is a pretty good spot.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum