Texas Fishing Forum

Buying a boat from Oklahoma?

Posted By: crankbait745

Buying a boat from Oklahoma? - 05/25/16 08:13 PM

Thinking about buying a 2015 boat from a boat dealer in Oklahoma. Other than taking the forms from Texas Parks and wildlife with me , any tips or past experiences that would make the transfer of all paperwork go smoothly. Thanks for any info.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Buying a boat from Oklahoma? - 05/25/16 08:18 PM

The dealer will most likely have the paper work ready, the dealer I bought from in Tenn, did. Take that and your checkbook to a TP&W office and complete the registration. Sales tax, title fees will be done at TP&W, trailer will be done by county tax office.
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Buying a boat from Oklahoma? - 05/26/16 12:51 PM

The most important hint is to do the paperwork immediately. It is much easier at the time of purchase. Trying to obtain a missing title later is a big hassle.
Posted By: BassSAT

Re: Buying a boat from Oklahoma? - 05/26/16 01:30 PM

I bought my Skeeter from a dealer in Michigan,
I met him in Memphis, traded paper work and
the following week got everything registered
with TPW with no problems...
Posted By: Po Boy

Re: Buying a boat from Oklahoma? - 05/27/16 05:13 PM

I was trying to buy a boat from a dealer in Oklahoma. He was going to charge me sales tax on the trailer. I informed him that the trailer sales tax would have to be paid in Texas. He would not back off, said he had to collect sales tax in Ok. I moved on and bought a boat in Texas.
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Buying a boat from Oklahoma? - 05/28/16 03:48 PM

Thanks for all the info.
Posted By: Olhipi

Re: Buying a boat from Oklahoma? - 05/29/16 02:44 PM

Unless your saving a Chunk of money by Local!,!, easier to resolve any Warranty Issues.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Buying a boat from Oklahoma? - 05/31/16 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Po Boy
I was trying to buy a boat from a dealer in Oklahoma. He was going to charge me sales tax on the trailer. I informed him that the trailer sales tax would have to be paid in Texas. He would not back off, said he had to collect sales tax in Ok. I moved on and bought a boat in Texas.

True. States collect sales tax unless you take delivery in another state. If you have to pay Texas sales tax, then you fill out the paperwork for a refund from Oklahoma.
Posted By: jjranch

Re: Buying a boat from Oklahoma? - 06/08/16 09:08 PM

I've done out of state sales and purchases. The best way to do it is immediately. The dealer will have all the paperwork. Get copies!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum