Texas Fishing Forum

Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal..

Posted By: JDC3020

Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/23/16 09:54 PM

What is this guy, he's protecting his nest.

Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal..

Looks cichlid but dorsal seems round and the dark spot there as well so not what I was expecting.

Lewisville small creek with 3' depth at the bend.

The clip is better, cool motion but sunset was near..

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/23/16 10:09 PM

Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/23/16 10:41 PM

Like this?

https://lakewaytilapia.com/Live_Tilapia_For_Sale.php
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/23/16 11:55 PM

warmouth
Posted By: Chitterling

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/24/16 12:34 AM

Green Sunfish
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/24/16 01:03 AM

It is a Bowfin. She has teeth.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/24/16 02:33 AM

Maybe a very large green sunfish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_sunfish

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/24/16 05:31 AM

Cool thanks Fishermen 3 interesting answers.

Looking up warmouth I saw a similar species, and a photo I had not seen before..

The one with lesser common 2nd rear spot marking!

Green Sunfish, Lepomis Cyanellus (++orange)

Clip: >>>> [video:google]https://plus.google.com/117392696147883970377/posts/PHN9HPyGTeE[/video]

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/24/16 05:41 AM

Hey MBreak, that's what I thought was close, but no 2nd spot.

Until you guys helped me find this..

He's really light overall and the spots are quite dark by comparison.

But there in your image are the missing orange edges as well.

The sun was setting but they show in the clip nicely.

Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/24/16 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
It is a Bowfin. She has teeth.

Looks like to me also.

I have caught them with floursent green fins and orange fins in the past
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/24/16 01:01 PM

Pick one.
https://www.google.com/search?q=green+su...bih=678#imgrc=_
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/24/16 01:30 PM

Good job finding that kind of water clarity at Lewisville. My guess is bowfin. Similar coloration to warmouth and green sunfish, but the body shape looks like a bowfin.

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/25/16 04:55 AM

Hey Muzzlebrake was that one of your catches?

A cool looking one as well.

I'm on the TV all I have is paint so no blending but check out the hybrid look, edits.

I reversed, reduced your image then the orange fins copied over perfectly.

So now pretty much just like mine at the creek just more alive and a bit more mature.

Probably bigger now after attacking a few oz's of cooked chicken we had with us Sunday.

Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/25/16 12:59 PM

Bowfin
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/25/16 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Chaser
Bowfin
YEP the profile looks live a Grinnell to me.. They are very agree aggressive when grading a nest or whatever err they do...caught one on a hollow body frog last month...that thing struck like a snake and ate my frog in the air.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/25/16 07:29 PM

Blue tilapia
Posted By: mayjor4

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/26/16 01:16 PM

Is everybody trolling this thread? lol. It's 100% a green sunfish or a hybrid of one. This comes from years and years of experience creek fishing. I always called them rock bass growing up.
Posted By: tsspencer2887

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/26/16 02:35 PM

Bowfin have long dorsal fins that ripple in the water. This fish has a short dorsal fin towards the back. It's also too short and round to be a bowfin. I agree with the green sunfish. You can tell by the shape of the fins and the dark spot on the cheek.
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Orange edged caudal fin, white edged dorsal, with streaked spot on dorsal.. - 05/26/16 05:23 PM

Dang ol perch man, tell ya whut
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum