Texas Fishing Forum

Eagle Mountain alligators

Posted By: toofy

Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/21/16 06:08 AM

I have multiple friends who grew up around Eagle Mountain lake who swear there are alligators. Anybody seen one? How concerned should I be?
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/21/16 08:31 AM

I've seen 4, the last one was around lauderdales and he's was around 12ft.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/21/16 01:51 PM

A few in there for sure...
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/21/16 04:27 PM

Lots of them in Lake Worth too.
Almost every lake in the Metro from here to to East Texas has gators.
Even Grapevine had a couple as far back as the early 1970's.
There was a 10 footer up in Marshall creek one year that was seen often.
I was gigging carp for garden fertilize out in flooded grass when I walked up on the beast.
That was the year I learned to run on top of the water.

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/21/16 04:29 PM

FWIW, gators are a lot like deer. For every one you see there are 10 more out there you don't see.
Here's the one in Lewisville last year below the dam. http://www.fox4news.com/news/2458681-story
Posted By: THAPCO4

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/23/16 01:11 AM

I grew up on the North End. I used to see them fairly regularly. Saw one that was about 10-12 ft in the 80's before the lake went down the first time. With all the fluctuations, I haven't seen them as often. However, up around the river you can still hear them bellow sometimes.
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/23/16 02:45 AM

We seen a small alligator on Grapevine Friday night, very small maybe 3 ft.... I figure it was probably one someone let loose or maybe because of the flooding.... Didn't believe my eyes at first but it sure enough was a small gator.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/23/16 03:24 AM

I have seen plenty of them in Grapevine bigger than 3'. I will look through my photos and see if I can find them.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/23/16 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: toofy
I have multiple friends who grew up around Eagle Mountain lake who swear there are alligators. Anybody seen one? How concerned should I be?

No need to be concerned, if you see one don't feed it just let it go on about its business.
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/23/16 04:24 AM

I thought it was pretty cool, it didn't bother me in the least. I went about fishing and was more concerned with all the snakes.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/23/16 04:26 AM

They are in all the dfw lakes. Why would you be concerned?
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/23/16 08:26 AM

lol @ username
Posted By: BODA

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/23/16 10:59 AM

I go up to the north end of EM into the river every time I get on the water, to look at deer and pigs. I have never seen one, but it looks like PRIME gator habitat
Posted By: 361V

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/23/16 12:58 PM

So my sister & brother in law move to St. Augustine Florida and as the movers are unpacking their stuff he decides to take his Jack Russel Terrier(wishbone) for a walk around the park in their new neighborhood. While walking (on a leash) the dog runs off with the leash and jumps into their neighborhood pond. An alligator grabs the dog as fast as a bass sometimes hits a buzzbait the instant it hits the water! He said he sat there for an hour because he didn't know what to go home and tell his two young daughters. But hey, don't worry about it.........unless you are swimming with Wishbone!
Posted By: Mikeyb_23

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/23/16 06:17 PM

I've fished on Lake worth for almost 2 yrs and have never seen one. Would be kinda cool to see one.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/23/16 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Mikeyb_23
I've fished on Lake worth for almost 2 yrs and have never seen one. Would be kinda cool to see one.

I've always seen them up the river near the blue hole in the nature center, they like to get on top of the lay downs and sun.
Posted By: Josh Castillo

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/30/16 03:46 AM

My family and i have just started the whole fishing thing, and my Father inlaw said he has seen what seems to be a 7-8ft gator on the north banks of Lake Worth, this was about 2 weeks ago. Over by the bait shop on 199.

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/30/16 05:06 PM

This one was ran over by a car down behind Bell Helicopter in Hurst. I used to coon hunt down there in the gravel pits back in the 1960's. Danged things are everywhere now.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Its-a-Gator-Not-a-Speed-Bump.html
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/30/16 05:11 PM

It is a good probability that there is at least 1 gator at each of the lakes around here.. Whether you see them or not is a different story.

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/31/16 04:00 PM

So, how big is this one? Seems the gators like gold courses.
https://youtu.be/RXn1g0xtUMk
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 05/31/16 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13
Originally Posted By: toofy

No need to be concerned, if you see one don't feed it just let it go on about its business.
just do not let your dog swim in the lake. Maybe gators are the solution to the lose dog problem in south Dallas.
Posted By: bigtexnick

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 07/01/16 11:35 PM

I've fished EM many times the past few years but I've never seen one. But I generally do not go up the north shallow end, either.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 07/03/16 12:40 AM

They have been there for years.
Posted By: Clouser

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 07/03/16 02:00 AM

OK guys let's forget the Disney thing,media has blown this out of proportion, and ya'll are taking to the next level. I have seen gators in private ponds and lakes and I can say I've taken a few before I was 14 and I'm 50 now. Gators don't bother me their kinda neat,how many of you have fished in saltwater where there are shark's and sting rays? If you're worried about them, stay home. You poke around skunk with a stick your gonna get sprayed. Nuff said.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 07/03/16 03:33 AM

I started this thread before the Disney thing happened. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say we are "taking this to the next level".
Posted By: GROD

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 07/03/16 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
This one was ran over by a car down behind Bell Helicopter in Hurst. I used to coon hunt down there in the gravel pits back in the 1960's. Danged things are everywhere now.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Its-a-Gator-Not-a-Speed-Bump.html

I use to fish the ponds back there and the property owner always told me to watch out for alligators, and to not get close to the banks during dusk and night hours! Big bass in those tanks...
Posted By: Baron

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 07/06/16 03:34 AM

Grew up on that lake. Might be a little hot now but if you check out the other side of the dam (by the previously mentioned and former Lauderdales), they can sometimes be found lounging. And I agree with Muzzlebrake... Lake Worth has them. More of them. We've jumped in the water near them and they always fled. The experts have that ol saying, "They're more scared of you than you are of them."
Posted By: Baron

Re: Eagle Mountain alligators - 07/06/16 03:37 AM

By the way, a child splashing in the shallows can be considered easy prey. Just think about that... They have an appetite as well. Poor child.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum