Texas Fishing Forum

Poor Whitney , here we go again.

Posted By: marschall

Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/19/16 10:27 AM

Almost 3.5 over in 2 days. Mean while PK and Granbury or level. A holding lake for the Corp. with no regards for the marina owners , or people that make a living on the lake.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/19/16 12:05 PM

If it is a reservoir, that's the way it works. The people on Lake Travis and others share the same plight. We take the hit so the fat cats with the expensive houses don't get hurt.

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/19/16 12:17 PM

Yep no that's right. all that tax payer money spent rebuilding the corp. parks every year , and they just flood them over and over.
Posted By: spacemonkey

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/19/16 01:43 PM

I hate to hear it. It's one of my fav lakes to camp and fish. I hate it for anyone who gets flooded out. I'm sure they take into consideration where the least amount of impact and loss will occur. Pk and grandbury have far more lakefront homes than Whitney to be affected by flooding.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/19/16 02:37 PM

Your going to be getting a heck of a lot more than 3.5 in the next couple of days.

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/19/16 02:47 PM

Corp just called Juniper Cove and said it is coming up 4 more feet today and 4 feet tomorrow. And all the parks are closed , and it is 4 feet above now ! Mean while PK and Grandbury are normal.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/19/16 06:11 PM

Lots of run off every where , between the lakes .
Posted By: 361V

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/19/16 08:01 PM

BRA and the Army Corp Of Engineers are Apples and Oranges. The waterfront residences are also. An 8' rise in the BRA lakes would be catastrophic to the waterfront residences.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/20/16 12:12 AM

Yes it would. Ours got flooded at PK in1980 or 81 whichever year that the gates wouldn't open. We were lucky only 3-4" got in. I still remember my dad carrying me on his shoulders walking down the road chest deep in water to get to our house. It is not fair I guess, but it is a known risk that you take.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/20/16 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: marschall
Yep no that's right. all that tax payer money spent rebuilding the corp. parks every year , and they just flood them over and over.

They don't flood them. They don't make it rain.
Posted By: Gangster

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/20/16 01:34 AM

Whitney is a flood control lake. That is why there is no lakefront property. Not built for recreation so much as damage control. Water levels below the dam determines when gatest are opened and how much is released.
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/20/16 03:08 AM

Two main reasons to build a lake in Texas.. water conservation & flood control.. only a few are "constant level" lakes that never go above a certain point except for major flooding and that is where private/public parties get the attention this thread is trying to address.. Texas State parks are mostly "self insured" by the state so it is tax money that builds and rebuilds them..
Posted By: machinist

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/20/16 03:27 AM

Marshall, you need to get your facts straight. PK being as it is the first major lake in the chain
has to let water out. Yeah it looks normal but there are 3 gates open and water has been over the bridge
below the dam. The dam at PK is only a couple of feet above normal full pool so BRA has to let the water out. What happens below PK is up to BRA and the Corp. What is keeping the Corp from letting water out of Whitney? Probably the major flooding in the Houston area. Get a map and look at the river.

Johnny
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/20/16 04:40 AM

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/20/16 09:34 AM

I no , just getting sick of it year after year. When you have a lake house on Whitney , and a boat in a marina that we can't get to now. It is a flood control lake, it just gets old. I apolagize
Posted By: Treybiz

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/20/16 03:56 PM

I feel the whitney pain but understand what the lake is for... My folks built our house 26 years ago so I've seen flood and drought. I've had to get creative over the years on how and what i can actually launch. Flood for me means jon boat and jet fleas... Big boats will stay in the barn.

I'm not above fishing from a PWC smile
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/20/16 05:42 PM

I no , just getting sick of it year after year. When you have a lake house on Whitney , and a boat in a marina that we can't get to now. It is a flood control lake, it just gets old. I apolagize

It's a bummer for sure. My home lake of Texoma gets flooded a lot more than Whitney. At least it looks like the golden alge has been washed out of the river system.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/20/16 09:14 PM

Interesting article below...

http://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/stories/Fl...-376407461.html

"Water released from Lake Granbury heads toward Lake Whitney, a flood control reservoir, which currently has 30 feet of vacant space in its flood pool."

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/21/16 09:22 AM

Our neighbor at Whitney called yesterday afternoon and the owner of Juniper Cove Marina told him that he just got a call from the Corp. and they said the lake was going to come up another 18 feet ! 18 more than what is was already up. And he texted me some pics of the marina. The water was already in the parking lot , and said they are planning on trying to move the cabins off the properties today. I think that will be the end of that marina , as last May it got hit with the tornado , then it got hit with the flood and was 16 feet under water. I am going down today to try and get our boat out of our slip @ Harbor Master. If I can , this is just un real. Want to own a marina on Whitney ?

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/21/16 09:36 AM

At least our lake house is a half a mile straight up hill from Juniper Cove , and everyone who has lived there for a while says the water would go over the dam before it would come up to our house.
Posted By: Treybiz

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/21/16 11:16 PM

At least our lake house is a half a mile straight up hill from Juniper Cove , and everyone who has lived there for a while says the water would go over the dam before it would come up to our house.

Thats how my place is as well. If my house on whitney is under water then Waco is in deep doo doo.
Posted By: armadilla

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/22/16 07:12 AM

Drove by McGown Park today.. the water is up... was about 1/4 mile from the top of the ramp at McCown today... will have to go down to the top of the ramp and then dry out for two weeks before they open the boat ramps again... like late June or sometime in July before McCown is open again... Just guessing...

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/22/16 01:31 PM

Got our boat out of Harbor Master yesterday and back in the yard before the Corp. closes the gates by Loafers. Lake is now 13.5 over. Went by Juniper Cove yesterday , what a mess. Looks like Whitney will be closed for a long long time. Just in time for the summer holidays. Second year in a row. Just hard on a lot of business owners and can't imagine being in their shoes.

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/23/16 10:02 AM

15.30 over and still coming up. They just moved the Bohemian Classic to June now.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/23/16 01:42 PM

i guess the bra is making up for all the complaints of how they wouldn't release any water to Whitney back when we were in the drough stages.

Sad deal all the way around. But I guess it's better for one lake to take one for the team rather than the other lakes above it. PK or grandbury being 18+ feet over would be a much more dangerous situation than Whitney. Sad deal but it's Mother Nature

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/25/16 10:21 AM

17.25 above this morning and it is still coming up. Tuesday does not look good as it is going to rain all day.
Posted By: whnigt

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/25/16 10:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Clark3
i guess the bra is making up for all the complaints of how they wouldn't release any water to Whitney back when we were in the drough stages.

Sad deal all the way around. But I guess it's better for one lake to take one for the team rather than the other lakes above it. PK or grandbury being 18+ feet over would be a much more dangerous situation than Whitney. Sad deal but it's Mother Nature

As of this am PK and Grandbury are below normal. They could hold a little of the water instead of one lake taking it all.

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/25/16 12:08 PM

They are always under , that is the way BRA works. If we had any hope at all the corp. would have at least released a little over the weekend , but - NONE. And rain coming all this week. Looks like Whitney will be closed all summer long. This year may be the worst ever. After last years tornado and flood it was just about to make a come back as to the marina owners , and now this. Not even 1 place to put a boat in the water for a long long time. They moved the Bohemian Bass Classic to June 26th , so maybe at least we can hope. Just wondering since the marina owners lease there land from the Corp. if they still charge them for the days that they flood them out .
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/26/16 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: whnigt

As of this am PK and Grandbury are below normal. They could hold a little of the water instead of one lake taking it all.

that's what Lake Whitney exists for. there is more rain coming tonight and Friday, and Whitney has 12 more feet of flood plain.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Poor Whitney , here we go again. - 04/26/16 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: 04champ
Originally Posted By: whnigt

that's what Lake Whitney exists for. there is more rain coming tonight and Friday, and Whitney has 12 more feet of flood plain.

Yea that's my point too. Luckily for Whitney PK closed their gates yesterday. Regardless Whitney has 11 feet to spare where grandbury and PK would be catastrophic for wayyyy more people and home owners at just a few feet above pool. Sucks for the few businesses on and around Whitney but the amount of people affected it marginal compared to two other lakes above them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum