Texas Fishing Forum

Boat Registration

Posted By: Sully79

Boat Registration - 04/11/16 12:36 AM

I recently purchased my brothers boat from him with only a title for the trailer. He stated La didn't require a title to register the boat and thus he never did. I'm not familiar on La requirements on registering their boats but he registered the boat in La and MS for a period of time with no issue while living in those areas. The boat was purchased in La but last registered in MS and current til June 16'.

Can this be handled with a phone call to TPWD or should I drive there and ask in person? Any feedback is much appreciated.

Yancie
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Boat Registration - 04/11/16 12:45 AM

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/owner/titles_and_registration/
might want to read this first,..then call. fish
Posted By: Sully79

Re: Boat Registration - 04/11/16 02:29 AM

Thanks Jim
Posted By: gatorbait19

Re: Boat Registration - 04/11/16 05:15 AM

a few years ago I inherited a boat and motor from my dad in Louisiana...had trailer title but no boat or motor title. texas required title on boat and motor but didn't need one on trailer. long story short had to go to tpwd office in mt. pleasant and fill out paper work to get title for boat and motor in order to register it here.
Posted By: gatorbait19

Re: Boat Registration - 04/11/16 05:18 AM

I think cost was less than a hundred dollars. that was about 8 years or so ago.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Boat Registration - 04/11/16 01:16 PM

I just registered my boat in Alabama. No title and boat trailers don't require a tag. Lady said to keep my title just in case I ever moved back to Texas or sold it.
Posted By: nwest10

Re: Boat Registration - 04/11/16 02:07 PM

TPWD only is concerned with the boat & motor. You will need the titles for both and will have to apply for lost titles or new titles. You will likely need some type of bill of sale for both the boat and the motor as separate items.

The county tax office will need the title for the trailer and you will need to transfer the title to your name. If the trailer requires an inspection you will need to have that done before they will issue tags.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum