Texas Fishing Forum

Spraying Grass Question (Athens)

Posted By: David Burton

Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/05/16 05:32 PM

Was I witnessing a violation of the law? I was back in one of the larger creeks on Sunday and saw an individual spraying grass on all sides of the cove back there. He wasn't just spraying around what appeared to be his dock, but the entire back cove where no one lives. It wasn't a TPWD boat, nor did it appear to have any official capacity. Just a guy in an aluminum boat with a bottle sprayer.

Do they allow permits for land owners to spray near their docks out there?
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/05/16 05:44 PM

call TPWD and find out,tell them what you saw,let us know

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/05/16 11:14 PM

It would be AMWD, and I found my answer... I only wish I had gotten photographic evidence and a Registration number of the boat. However, there is only one house back there, so it is easy to know who it was...

OTHER CHEMICALS. No pesticides, herbicides, detergents, acids, solvents, or other chemicals that could impact the quality of water in Lake Athens shall be situated on Authority property.
3. CHEMICAL VEGETATION CONTROL. It shall be unlawful for any person to apply any chemical, herbicide or pesticide in or to the waters of Lake Athens or to any land surface below elevation 440 msl. It shall further be unlawful for any person to apply any chemical, herbicide, or pesticide to any additional land surface owned or controlled by the Athens Municipal Water Authority unless the said chemical, herbicide, or pesticide shall bear U.S. Environmental Protection Agency labeling stating that same is approved for use in a portable water supply reservoir
Posted By: Bernie Lee

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/06/16 12:37 PM

What cove was that in?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/06/16 01:12 PM

When in doubt, call the Game Warden! While you're on the water and witnessing questionable practices. I promise you our Wardens appreciate any and all such calls.
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/06/16 02:55 PM

take a picture of the dead grass,when it dies......................

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/06/16 03:23 PM

Yeah, I wish I had been more concerned about it at the time. I was fishing with my parents and made a comment about it. Approximately 2:00 pm in the 'chicken foot' cove on the south side of the lake... "Tennis Court", if that makes it easier. I saw him come around the point on the right when looking back with something coming out of the spray bottle towards the grass.

If I can get a chance to actually make a call during business hours, I will see what can be done at this point with the 'he said/he said' lack of evidence I have.
Posted By: Fishbreeder

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/07/16 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
When in doubt, call the Game Warden! While you're on the water and witnessing questionable practices. I promise you our Wardens appreciate any and all such calls.

This.

I've called the warden many times and in many places. Sure I know the local wardens, but I do the same when not at home and see something I believe is not right. The warden (every warden I ever called) will either explain to me what is going on and thank me for calling, or show up in ten or twenty minutes.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/07/16 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder
Originally Posted By: fouzman

This.

I've called the warden many times and in many places. Sure I know the local wardens, but I do the same when not at home and see something I believe is not right. The warden (every warden I ever called) will either explain to me what is going on and thank me for calling, or show up in ten or twenty minutes.

Ditto!
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/08/16 11:47 AM

May have been spraying Rotenone????
If so there would likely be a fish kill back there. Especially shad and minnows.
Posted By: SeaAggie2015

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/09/16 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
If so there would likely be a fish kill back there. Especially shad and minnows.

Highly doubt it was rotenone. That is a chemical designed especially to kill fish quickly and efficiently. Used most often in ponds that new land owners want to start over completely with new stockings. It does nothing for vegetation. However, what chemical it was isn't really important, the fact that he was taking matters into his own hands is. Killing vegetation in the masses can cause depleted oxygen which in turn can cause fish kills so this person was probably doing more harm than good in a selfish effort.

Unless he was an authorized person spraying for the better of the pond. In that case, good job guy. Hope your treatment works
Posted By: Slefler

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/10/16 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: SeaAggie2015

Highly doubt it was rotenone. That is a chemical designed especially to kill fish quickly and efficiently. Used most often in ponds that new land owners want to start over completely with new stockings. It does nothing for vegetation. However, what chemical it was isn't really important, the fact that he was taking matters into his own hands is. Killing vegetation in the masses can cause depleted oxygen which in turn can cause fish kills so this person was probably doing more harm than good in a selfish effort.

Unless he was an authorized person spraying for the better of the pond. In that case, good job guy. Hope your treatment works

Especially in an entire cove where the fish don't have anywhere to escape once the oxygen gets depleted.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/10/16 10:49 AM

Maybe your are thinking of ROUND-UP?

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/10/16 01:20 PM

Nah. Rotenone is what I meant. Old timers also used crushed green walnuts in a burlap sack dragged thru a pond to kill all the fish. Works just like Rotenone and about as quick. I have no idea how Roundup would work killing vegetation in a lake but it can't be good for the fish or anything else.
Posted By: Slefler

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/10/16 01:53 PM

Round-up makes one for aquatics but its mainly used for topical vegetation.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/11/16 03:20 PM

Nah. Rotenone is what I meant. Old timers also used crushed green walnuts in a burlap sack dragged thru a pond to kill all the fish. Works just like Rotenone and about as quick. I have no idea how Roundup would work killing vegetation in a lake but it can't be good for the fish or anything else.

Why would an area homeowner be spraying Rotenone since it kills fish, not vegetation. That was the point I was getting at about your guess he was spraying Rotenone. Would he want to kill all the fish and make a stink? I wouldn't think so....

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/11/16 06:45 PM

I too would hope not.
Posted By: SeaAggie2015

Re: Spraying Grass Question (Athens) - 04/11/16 08:01 PM

I hope this guy had vegetation on his mind instead of killing fish. And round-up kills all kinds of vegetation so it could have been that.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum