Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Lavon....Looking for Advice

Posted By: Anchorman

Lake Lavon....Looking for Advice - 03/24/16 01:38 PM

I'm planning on taking some kids fishing on Lavon tomorrow or Saturday. We haven't set the day in stone yet but we are going. We will be on the pontoon boat. I have never been on Lavon but since its filled up I have been wanting to spend a day out there so that is where we are headed.

My question is, with a boat full of kids, are my chances better at getting hooked up with a mess of crappie, catfish, or sand bass? I'm more concerned about getting them some action and having fun than anything. I would prefer a mess of crappie but without knowing anything about the lake that may be easier said than done.

If anyone has any suggestions on where I might could have some success with any of these species I'd appreciate it. I'm wondering what the sandies might be doing and where they might be stacked up. If I could find them I bet we could figure out how to get them on a hook! LOL

Y'all have a good one and Happy Easter to everyone!

Anchorman
Posted By: RodneyH06

Re: Lake Lavon....Looking for Advice - 03/24/16 07:26 PM

Maybe the dam with minnows out of the wind but it might be a little early. Lavon has been messed up due to drought and now being high. if the south wind gets up you will have to travel several miles to find structure out of the wind. Look on Lake Lavon fishing forum and make your decision.
Good luck
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Lake Lavon....Looking for Advice - 03/24/16 08:21 PM

Drift.. Drift.. And drift some more w/ shad if possible! Point and structure as in trees. You should get bit? Good luck
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Lake Lavon....Looking for Advice - 03/25/16 01:30 AM

The kids would love sand bass if the fish are biting. I don't know much about Lavon so take this for what it's worth...I would head over to the power plant and fish the points south of the plant. Look for other boats - they're looking for the same fish.
Posted By: YakManPro

Re: Lake Lavon....Looking for Advice - 03/25/16 03:28 AM

Check the Kayak Section, someone posted about the spillway.
Here's my spillway fishing experience under lavon
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Lake Lavon....Looking for Advice - 03/25/16 01:32 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate it.

Yakman that was pretty awesome! Nice job and thanks for sharing that video. I enjoyed that.
Posted By: Sacalait Slayer

Re: Lake Lavon....Looking for Advice - 03/27/16 02:30 PM

Nice video. You have it all set up.
Posted By: bullcrappie

Re: Lake Lavon....Looking for Advice - 03/28/16 01:19 AM

With a boat load a kids it will be hard to keep them totally interested.
I have had good success years ago when I guided by trolling small swim baits, That way you'll have more than on thing to keepingum happy , Taking turns reeling in fish maybe some casting ,some playing in the tackle boxes or rigging up baits , some eating(or feeding the gulls) and possibly even letting them take a turn at steering the boat..Drifting is good but you will be hanging up and you may loose a R n Reel lol You also could tie or anchor and throw out some soured grain or cans of cat food that will normally get the catfish going especially if you can find a ditch or drain pipe dumping in some moving water.. Might be a little early N I haven't been there in a while BUT Fish should hang around the rip rap all of April.

Trolling all along from East fork to the east end of the dam and around any windy point they are usually sandies ,bass and a occasional crappie now that they are shallow..
I use 2 inch sassy shad on a 3/8 oz head at slow speeds you can drag 4 rods easy and depending on how much line you let out the baits will run 5 to 7 ft ...Any shoreline around Avolon,clear lake or by the Power plant should have some fish..best if thee tackle is heavy enough to reel in the fish without stopping...
Good luck... keep it fun they will develop patience, good habits and great rememorizes.

Posted By: bullcrappie

Re: Lake Lavon....Looking for Advice - 03/28/16 01:28 AM

Crappie should be moving in along the rip rap along the dam you maybe able use the troll motor to pull a cork with a jig and or minnow under it in the 4ft 6ft depth range. There are a couple nice coves (on the east shore of the west arm of the lake) you can try for crappie that are protected from the south wind nearly strait across from Collin park marina you could drop anchor and just toss out lines if you want crappie. Be carful there are lots of timber all across that arm and just in front of the coves..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum