Texas Fishing Forum

fishing injury

Posted By: RussPrater "Bass Commander"

fishing injury - 03/17/16 01:04 PM

Has anyone here ever developed tennis elbow by casting or setting the hook? I had a hookup yesterday and started to feel immediate pain on upper portion of my elbow on the right.
Posted By: ebl

Re: fishing injury - 03/17/16 01:25 PM

Over use of a unconditioned part. let it rest from what you do that causes pain/or discomfort and apply ice to affected [part for 30 minutes every two hours. advil(or such) is indicated. recovery time is 7 to 10 days. pm me is you further questions.

retired athletic trainer
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: fishing injury - 03/17/16 02:20 PM

Yep, and man it can get painful. I tried every devise on the market. The best was simply a strap that you see some tennis players and bowlers wear, but it does not stop it. Only time will heal it.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: fishing injury - 03/17/16 03:00 PM

I had a severe case of tennis elbow years ago from fishing, not from casting but from holding a 7' rod in my left hand with a 1 oz. weight and Carolina rig attached to the other end. Big hook sets don't help either. After 2 cortisone shots that didn't help I ended up going through rehab at a Baylor rehab center on I-30 in Mesquite. That was 15 years ago and haven't had any pain since. I highly recommend NOT holding the rod tip high and away from your body, keep your elbow next to your side for support and set the hook with a sideways motion using your upper body instead of just your arm. The ice/heat contrast helps a lot too. Good luck.
Posted By: nwest10

Had a bad case a year ago that took longer than 7 to 10 days to heal up, but that was my fault for not completely resting it. I've been using a copper cuff compression sleeve while fishing ever since and it seems to help keep it from reoccurring. A full day of flipping really seems to strain that part of the elbow.
Posted By: Wrangler1

I just had this start about a month ago, its annoying. I think mine is from pitching and flipping.
Posted By: nwest10

Re: fishing injury - 03/17/16 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Wrangler1
I just had this start about a month ago, its annoying. I think mine is from pitching and flipping.

Rest it now if you can or it will get worse. Give one of the compression sleeves a try. I wear it every time I'm out and it really does help. My case was all from pitching and flipping.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: fishing injury - 03/17/16 03:12 PM

I saw an embedded hook in a guys scalp one time. Two guys fishing for ditch pickles and one caught his buddy with a Rapala.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: fishing injury - 03/17/16 03:31 PM

Yes, this is called old age. There's a good reason you see old guys tied up crappie fishing instead of standing on the front of a boat casting over and over. Eventually, you have to admit that it hurts.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: fishing injury - 03/17/16 04:05 PM

Rest it
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: fishing injury - 03/17/16 04:13 PM

I am an old guy who stands on the front and I can still do it with the best of them. Age ain't got nothing to do with tennis elbow. I was in my 30's when I got it. fish

Re: fishing injury - 03/17/16 05:39 PM

Thanks for all the input fellas. Im in my early 30s but dang this hurts. I have a compression sleeve on it now. Seems to help some. I did it while setting the hook but always keep my elbow down and close while jigging. I'll be sure to ice it down and give it a break. Sucks to do that during spawn....Thanks again y'all
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: fishing injury - 03/17/16 07:10 PM

Mine took months to heal. Hope yours doesn't linger that long.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: fishing injury - 03/17/16 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: RussPrater "Bass Commander"
Has anyone here ever developed tennis elbow by casting or setting the hook? I had a hookup yesterday and started to feel immediate pain on upper portion of my elbow on the right.

Ive gotten this same injury playing disc golf too much and on days where Im fishing a good portion of the day when I make a TON of casts. Get you an elbow brace from Wal mart or Walgreens or whereever. You will also notice that when you move your wrist around you can feel some pain too. At least I always could so sometime a wrist brace can help as well. If its hurting bad you will really need to rest it though. Only thing that helps me. And wear the brace anytime you are doing things that put strain on your elbows. It the same injury tennis players get.

Re: fishing injury - 03/17/16 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: ebl
Over use of a unconditioned part. let it rest from what you do that causes pain/or discomfort and apply ice to affected [part for 30 minutes every two hours. advil(or such) is indicated. recovery time is 7 to 10 days. pm me is you further questions.

retired athletic trainer

Great advice! Mine always takes about 7-10 days to get back to "normal" when this happens

Re: fishing injury - 03/17/16 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishingking
I am an old guy who stands on the front and I can still do it with the best of them. Age ain't got nothing to do with tennis elbow. I was in my 30's when I got it. fish

+1 I was in my late 20's when it first happened to me. Age has nothing to do with it. Although getting older doesnt help! lol
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: fishing injury - 03/17/16 08:13 PM

Teach yourself to cast with the other arm, if you don't use it you won't abuse it.

Re: fishing injury - 03/17/16 10:09 PM

Dang, if I do that, I have to be normal and use right handed bait casters lol guess I better learn. I've been missing out on hot deals being a south paw
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: fishing injury - 03/18/16 01:08 AM

Resting it between trips helps. Mine gets better in a couple of days off the water and comes back when I get back on the water. I noticed how I position my arm when I sleep can either help it or worsen it.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: fishing injury - 03/18/16 02:37 AM

Had it a lot when I was a teenager, mostly in the wrist.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: fishing injury - 03/18/16 01:54 PM

Live well rub.
Posted By: ebl

Re: fishing injury - 03/18/16 02:03 PM

Rudy only if used orally in sufficent quanity.
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: fishing injury - 03/22/16 06:10 PM

It happened to my right elbow when in my late twenties, drop shoting with a spinning rod caused it. Had it off and on for 5 years. Cortisone shots helped some, but what really helped was some self therapy, stretches, light forearm exercises,deep tissue massages, Ice,two Aleve every twelve hours.it pretty much went away. About 2010 my left elbow went to hurting terribly bad,and for two years nothing helped it, Doc said surgery would fix it. One surgery and an infection led to another surgery. Which left me about fifty percent better, And fifty percent Incapacitated in my left arm.This has been a life changer for me. I now switch between casting and spinning gear,and just this weekend bought my first lefty baitcaster. And yes I lean more and more towards crappie fishing. I'm only forty so it's not time to start knitting and. Crocheting yet.
Posted By: Mo

Re: fishing injury - 03/22/16 06:28 PM

Switch hands, smile

Spent one fall doing too much catching sandbass on a jigging spoon,

took months to heal , tennis elbow brace helped.

MO
Posted By: Austintatious

Re: fishing injury - 03/22/16 08:15 PM

when I am not fishing, I have a online activity that keeps my elbow in shape happy8
Posted By: Laser

Re: fishing injury - 03/23/16 02:27 AM

I bought a couple of left hand reels to try to switch things up.
Struggling with it so far. Not as easy to use as I thought it would be.
Posted By: NTX Fisherman

Re: fishing injury - 03/26/16 03:15 PM

I've been dealing with tennis elbow from a combination of shoveling dirt last spring and casting heavy cranks in the summer. I have been casting left-handed for the past 6 months waiting for the right elbow to heal, and it is almost back to normal. So 6+ month recovery for me.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: fishing injury - 03/26/16 03:47 PM

I now do the whole squeeze handle things that were popular in the 90's. I use them constantly to keep my elbow in tip top shape for hook sets. thumb Note: My right arm is a little bigger than my left, but it's worth it.
Posted By: militarybrat

Re: fishing injury - 03/26/16 04:05 PM

Just had both elbows fixed here is what he did. Had to have both ulner nerves relocated as they were trapped at the elbow.

Repetitive motion injuries sux at least I have the use of my hands back. Holding a rod and casting I can do again. Nerve conduction studies revealed the problem.
Posted By: bullcrappie

Re: fishing injury - 03/28/16 12:57 AM

+1....You will be glad you did. I had to switch arms/hands/grips years ago lol , a little frustrating at first but 2 days on the water switching back and forth and it's starts getting easier and easier pretty soon it will be a breeze..To start though use the heavy lures on the weak arm they are easier to cast...,

Heck.. I use a very small bait caster reel when deep water or dock jigging for crappie. I learned to reel it backwards so I could have a really good drag system that don't twist my line all up when the drag slips of course I'm right handed but the reason I reel it backwards is so I don't have to switch hands to reel in a fish and I can hold the rod in my right hand..
I just let the reel hang downward under the rod for balance and so I don't have to grip it tite it's much easier instead of trying to keep it on top while fishing..
I have also had to add pieces of padding and rod wrap over the handles because after a while my hands don't want to close up around the grip at all.

Originally Posted By: R.J.E.
Teach yourself to cast with the other arm, if you don't use it you won't abuse it.
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: fishing injury - 03/31/16 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: militarybrat
Just had both elbows fixed here is what he did. Had to have both ulner nerves relocated as they were trapped at the elbow.

Repetitive motion injuries sux at least I have the use of my hands back. Holding a rod and casting I can do again. Nerve conduction studies revealed the problem.

shocked
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum