Texas Fishing Forum

Solunar tables and moon phases?

Posted By: Mr. Incredible

Solunar tables and moon phases? - 03/07/16 06:18 PM

How much credence do you put into solunar tables? Honestly I've never really thought about it until someone mentioned the farmers almanac and moon phases. After comparing my last few trips with what the tables said I'm beginning to wonder if I'm missing something by not checking them out more.
If you do follow them is there an app for iPhone or iPad that you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: NjTexan

Re: Solunar tables and moon phases? - 03/07/16 09:34 PM

I have so many other things I plan my fishing trips around it's impossible to add those tables to the list.
Posted By: Mr. Incredible

Re: Solunar tables and moon phases? - 03/07/16 09:44 PM

Yeah me too. I could never look at a chart and say "hey that's when I'm going fishing". Just wondering if they might be worth a look.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Solunar tables and moon phases? - 03/08/16 01:09 PM

I'm sure they play some part of it, but more than once I have been fishing and busted their relavance. East wind, moon phase wrong, high baro pressure, and clear skies break every rule in the almanac, but we still managed to boat several fish, and some perfect days we catch very few. I don't plan around them, I go when I am ready. If I planned around that [censored] I would have very few days on the water.

With that being said, when I cut my calves and the moon phase is wrong according to the almanac, I do notice they bleed more. I treat that like fishing, I do it when I can. I enjoy thumbing thru the almanac and solunar tables but treat them like a novelty. Go fish and have fun!
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Solunar tables and moon phases? - 03/08/16 03:16 PM

Fish when you are able.
With that stated, how long does it take to look through the tables to see which days should be best?
I do scan through the moon phases, and tide charts just to find the peak times fish should be feeding and should be more active.
I spend so much of my money, effort, and time on equipment and trips, that it seems negligent of me, not to do everything in my power to cover all the bases in the pursuit of the pastime I enjoy so much.
In the past, when I was only able to go occasionally,I did plan my few fishing trips around the moon phase, to better increase my chances to catch more and bigger fish.
It didn't always work out the way I thought it should according to those charts. Or I was just a p^&s-poor fisherman to begin with. lol
There are so many variables that dictate what a particular species will do at a certain time and place, that it can get over-whelming to the point it isn't enjoyable any longer.
If you are only going to catch fish, hire a professional. It is actually cheaper in the long run.
But even they have days when catching is poor.
Hopefully, most folks are going for the whole experience. Good times with family or friends, relaxing and enjoying God's beautiful creation.
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Solunar tables and moon phases? - 03/10/16 06:01 PM

None whatsoever. A few years ago shortly after I got back into fishing, I and a couple guys I work with did a little "study" comparing several different tables one summer and found only amusement - there was little agreement among them. You'd be as well off driving your boat around the lake with a fish-dowsing rod. The dowsing rod might work better...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum