Texas Fishing Forum

Best hook size/type and bait for Rainbow Trout?

Posted By: BroIncarnate

Best hook size/type and bait for Rainbow Trout? - 01/22/16 09:22 PM

Hey guys!

We are hitting a recently stocked pond with rainbow trout and have never fished them before-- what size/type of hooks do you recommend? I hear mini marshmellows work well?

Posted By: sabigfish

Re: Best hook size/type and bait for Rainbow Trout? - 01/22/16 10:44 PM

I fish for Rainbow trout all the time I use a #8 gold Aberdeen hook with a #7 split shot approx 18 above. Use either Berkley Yellow Trout Dough Bait or Flo Orange / chart Berkley Mice Tails
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Best hook size/type and bait for Rainbow Trout? - 01/25/16 11:05 PM

My dad fishes for trout a lot with power bait and only uses #18 treble hooks (bronze not gold) and catches a ton of them every year. When I was in Idaho we use to use #10 singles and mini marshmallows and as funny as it sounds pink was the best color. That was way before the days of power bait. smile
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Best hook size/type and bait for Rainbow Trout? - 01/26/16 01:36 AM

I use a #22 treble hook or a #12 single hook with Berkeley Power Bait. A new bait that works very well is Berkeley Mouse Tails. I find the chartreuse, yellow and orange colors are good. Put a small snap swivel on the end of your line. Then use a 12-18 inch 4 lb test leader and a 1/2 oz weight in the snap. Use just enough bait to float your hook. When in th water the weight will be on the bottom and the bait will float up. I have caught hundreds of stocked trout with this rig. For more information see my blog.
Posted By: j_hirn2

Re: Best hook size/type and bait for Rainbow Trout? - 01/26/16 07:26 PM

Mini marshmallows were killing it at the pond I was fishing at this weekend. Out fishing flies, power bait, and everything else. Just the plain white ones. And as an added benefit if you get hungry you've got something to eat!

Not sure what size hooks they were using but they were very small.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum