Texas Fishing Forum

Reel Size - does it affect distance?

Posted By: FishDaddyFrisco

Reel Size - does it affect distance? - 01/18/16 09:30 PM

Quick question to the forum. In your experience, does the size of your reel affect the distance of your cast. Assume all other variables are the same (rod action, wind, distance between lure and rod tip, etc..)
Also, does the amount of line on the spool affect the distance of your cast?
My set-up is 4 lb test on a 5" ultra light weight rod and a spinning reel. typically 1/16-1/8oz lure.
My goal here is to get maximum distance for this setup for my son.
Thanks for your input.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Reel Size - does it affect distance? - 01/18/16 10:15 PM

FDF,

Just a bit on the reel size, larger meaning longer casts, since spinning reels have the effect of line springing off of them, not being pulled off. A larger circumference would spring off more length of line as the line circles off the arbor.

If you overload a spinning reel, say fill it to the edge, you might add a bit of distance but you also dramatically increase the chances of a bird nest knot. I'd stay about a 1/8th or 1/16th inch back.

The really big determinants to casting light lures for your son will be the rod length and its elasticity; and, the line you choose to use.

A longer more elastic rod will sling a lure farther. St. Croix has some pretty long panfish rods that are built to cast well for ultralight.

And, Sufix has a new nanobraid with an impossibly small diameter that would shoot off the reel as good as any. You could still tie on a leader for your son depending on how you are fishing.

Sounds to me like you are obviously making casts for distance and not dropping a line off the side of a fishing dock.

Good luck! Brad
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: Reel Size - does it affect distance? - 01/19/16 04:14 PM

A longer rod will make a big difference.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Reel Size - does it affect distance? - 01/19/16 04:19 PM

Rod,..lure size..line...reel. fish
Posted By: FishDaddyFrisco

Re: Reel Size - does it affect distance? - 01/19/16 10:23 PM

Hey, guys...thank you very much for your feedback. Funny thing is, it's somewhat counter-intuitive. I think what I need to do is load up the reel a lot more like I used to do. For a while, we didn't have any decent ultralight weight rods that I would just keep 4# test on so I would occasionally put 8 or something on the same reel to adjust to fishing conditions. Not that we have this dedicated rod/reel set-up I'll just load it up to 1/8" or so from the edge. It's a good $50 mitchell reel that I found in the good ol' bargain cave ($10) at Cabela's in Allen off 75. Thanks again!
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: Reel Size - does it affect distance? - 01/20/16 02:37 PM

I used to do a lot of noodle rod fishing for Steelhead.

3-4 lb line.

Always used a 2500 series reel for the larger spool and to balance the 11-13' rods.

Many people make a mistake on ultralight gear of using a tiny reel which causes problems.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum