Texas Fishing Forum

Lake House

Posted By: Skippy

Lake House - 01/16/16 05:54 PM

I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for lakes to buy a house on. We live in Dallas and want a place no more than two hours away. It needs to be a good fishing lake (bass, crappie, sand bass/hybrid/striper). I also have two kids who will want to swim, tube, etc. We've looked at a few places on Cedar Creek and they were great. It just seems like everything is so crowded. A little space would be great. Tawakoni interests is but it also seems cramped and the houses we've seen look like "city" houses as opposed to cabins or lake houses. I also realize there are probably some great private lakes but I don't have any idea where to find them. If you have any opinions or experience, I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks.

Matt
Posted By: DPDALAN

Re: Lake House - 01/16/16 09:00 PM

ATHENS for sure
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Lake House - 01/16/16 09:35 PM

No stripers but Bob Sandlin has some nice places .
Posted By: mcb

Re: Lake House - 01/16/16 10:54 PM

Texoma has a bunch of options. We really enjoy our place up there.
Posted By: RHP

Re: Lake House - 01/17/16 02:38 AM

Conroe still has some affordable homes.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Lake House - 01/17/16 10:34 AM

Check out lake Bonham as well. Nice little lake

Cedar Creek has lots of houses on the lake as well.

Lots of choices and lakes to look at that fit your requirements..
Posted By: basshunter1

Re: Lake House - 01/17/16 02:29 PM

Go to Lakehouse.com you can look for hours and I agree Bob Sandlin is very nice and has homes like your looking for.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Lake House - 01/17/16 03:10 PM

We are currently building on Lake Athens but before we bought land there, we looked around extensively. For me, I'll be able to walk down the yard and jump right on what will be my primary lake, but I'll be minutes away from: Athens Fish & Game Lake, Purtis Creek, Lake Palestine, Richland Chambers, Cedar Creek, and more.

That's the thing about East Texas: lakes are everywhere and they are close together.

If you want to go a bit more "cabin," there are some inexpensive lots on Richland Chambers that might do the trick and many of the subdivisions have small required square footage numbers for homes. Too, there are some smaller private lakes where lots, off the water, say across the street, can be purchased very inexpensively. Callendar Lake comes to mind as a really, really beautiful lake in a gated community. But, there are others.

No shortage of water to fish and play on, that's for sure.

Cheers! Brad
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Lake House - 01/17/16 03:14 PM

When I sold my company back in 2010, I bought a lakehouse at Possum Kingdom lake. Fishing is pretty good and the views cannot be matched by any area lake.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Lake House - 01/17/16 04:54 PM

We Iike living on tawakoni
Posted By: marschall

Re: Lake House - 01/18/16 11:58 AM

Love our lake house on Whitney
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Lake House - 01/18/16 08:49 PM

I've got a place just off of Sandlin (can't afford lake front). It is more affordable (even lake front) than Cypress Springs or Cedar Creek or Athens and far less boat traffic. Great fishing lake within an hour to maybe 10 more lakes. About 2 hours away from Dallas in the piney woods of east Texas. Don't have to mess with going through Dallas (Richland Chambers) although we did look there.
Posted By: ShaneM

Re: Lake House - 01/18/16 11:05 PM

If you are looking for a weekend cabin I may be able to help. My family owns a private camp on Texoma. 1/2 mile from the boat ramp. Most of the cabin owners are from the Dallas area and Oklahoma. Let me know if you want more info. Just shoot me a PM.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Lake House - 01/19/16 03:08 PM

Plenty of people from the Dallas area have places around Rayburn. Day in and Day out, Rayburn will always be one of the premier lakes in the country.
That said, if I lived in your area, I would probably be thinking seriously about Fork.
Posted By: 410MAN

Re: Lake House - 01/19/16 03:53 PM

I live in Longview and have place on lake O pines South side.
It water front and we have pier. We have relatives in Dallas, they have 3 hour drive to visit us. Homes in our area on water go for $150,000 to 235,000. Off water $80,ooo to $115,000.
2 families from Dallas area have places near us. They come probably 3 out of 4 weekends in summer.
If ya want I can send you name of real estate lady that has lots listings on Pines in different areas.
Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Re: Lake House - 01/22/16 11:01 PM

Check out the Key Ranch area on Cedar Creek. Not as crowded as some, or as junky, but more city style than cabins.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Lake House - 01/23/16 04:38 AM

Texoma, 90,000 acres, all species of fish, beautiful lake, we are about finished with our home there, can't wait.
Posted By: MikeSwain48

Re: Lake House - 01/27/16 06:12 AM

Question for you which was a big deciding factor for me was i wanted my own dock. So if thats important to you that limits which lakes you can choose.

Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Lake House - 01/28/16 05:44 PM

No private docks on Corps of Engineers lakes.
Posted By: Mantooth

Re: Lake House - 01/28/16 08:07 PM

Water front property is limited in supply, so things either get crowded or are very pricey. We noticed that as time goes on, more lake houses are becoming citified and larger, less like a cabin. I wanted a lakeside cabin, but brought my wife. She wanted a house, not a cabin. I think you can see why the trend is going where it is. After much looking around, we compromised and enjoy Cedar Creek.
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Lake House - 01/28/16 08:26 PM

I know a place on CC for sale. It's on a channel off the main lake. Residential boat ramp about 50 yards away. Nothing fancy, but quiet (except on 4th of july), peaceful, and the neighbors are nice. It's 3 lots, place is on 2 with the 3rd lot just open yard. I'll try and find the link and update the post in a bit.
http://www.johnsonmonroe.com/properties/74966-hidden-hills-harbor
Posted By: Bob H

Re: Lake House - 01/29/16 01:58 AM

Check out http://www.ponderapk.com Their office is right on Possum Kingdom lake and they are very knowledgable. Jo Lynn from Pondera helped us when we bought our house.
Posted By: marschall

Re: Lake House - 01/29/16 02:20 PM

We have had ours on Whitney for 7 years now and love it. One thing to remember when you get a lake house. You have to have 2 of everything you own LOL
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum