Texas Fishing Forum

new to DFW

Posted By: mikereils5er

new to DFW - 11/29/15 01:42 AM

been here about a month and just got my stuff shipped to me from California, looking to walk the banks at some lakes in the area when the weather gets better. have my license and all that, just looking to get into a good bite if anyone has any advice. preferably a good place to walk around and cast is fun for me.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: new to DFW - 11/29/15 01:56 AM

DFW is big, what part of the metroplex are you at?

Re: new to DFW - 11/29/15 02:09 AM

I just moved to frisco, but I work in McKinney. So I believe im close to Lewisville and lavon? trying to find a good place for largemouth
Posted By: Mike Ryan

Re: new to DFW - 11/29/15 02:11 AM

Welcome to Texas and welcome to the Texas Fishing Forum. I am not sure where in the DFW location you are located at, the good news is that we are blessed in North Texas with many lakes to choose from regardless of your specific locale.
And while true that having a boat is going to allow you greater access to a lot of water that are not bank fishing accessible, there are still many possibilities to have a successful day of fishing walking the banks.
As many put up their rods during the colder days of winter, some of your best fishing can be during this time of year. This is particularly true for certain for certain species like crappie that can be caught in the creeks of lakes as they pursue the baitfish seeking warmer water and at fishing barges that can be found on some local lakes.
In fact, for crappie this is a bank fisherman's time to shine. And it just gets better with the coming of spring when big slab crappie can be found shallow spawning.
We have a put and take trout stocking that is just getting started at many locations, check the Texas Parks and Wildlife for stocking information.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/

On the TFF be sure to check out the bank fishing forum. Ask questions, I am sure the good folks of the TFF will help in any way they can, and again welcome

Re: new to DFW - 11/29/15 02:14 AM

what creeks and what lakes for crappie?
Posted By: Mike Ryan

Re: new to DFW - 11/29/15 02:15 AM

I just saw your response to your location. I am not close to you, but others will help you get off to a good start.
cheers

For me, I live close to Lake Benbrook and I do really well in particular during the spring spawn. We catch some real slabs out there each spring from the bank. We also catch Hybrids, sand bass, and largemouth from the bank at Benbrook during the spring spawn. Catching a Hybrid bass on light tackle is a lot of fun.

I also live a less than 10 minute drive from the Trinity River and although that river is far from being a pristine water, you may be surprised at how many decent largemouth and other species live in that body of water. I have caught largemouth up to 5lbs but most will be in the 1 to 3lb range.

It will take you a little time and effort but the payoff can be rewarding.

Re: new to DFW - 11/29/15 02:18 AM

haha no problem, thanks though mike!
Posted By: whitecapping

Re: new to DFW - 11/29/15 02:39 AM

not close but welcome. lots of good info and people on here. welcome
Posted By: Chato

Re: new to DFW - 11/29/15 12:53 PM

Welcome to the forum welcome
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: new to DFW - 11/29/15 01:44 PM

Ray Roberts has it all Great fishing pier,bridges,bank,rip rap wood..

Re: new to DFW - 11/29/15 10:53 PM

thanks everyone!
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: new to DFW - 11/29/15 11:51 PM

There will be a fishing for winter crappie on creeks seminar held at the Bass Pro shop in Garland on Dec 1st. It will be hosted from our very own Carey Thorn who knows the local bank spots like the back of his hand. It would be a very good place to start if your bank fisherman in the area.

Reggie
Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Re: new to DFW - 12/01/15 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Grainraiser
There will be a fishing for winter crappie on creeks seminar held at the Bass Pro shop in Garland on Dec 1st. It will be hosted from our very own Carey Thorn who knows the local bank spots like the back of his hand. It would be a very good place to start if your bank fisherman in the area.

Reggie

I second the recommendation on Carey's seminar. I plan on being there and a handful of other TFF members do as well. Just wanted to note that I believe the date is Dec. 5, not Dec. 1. It is at 6:30.

Not sure why the link won't make itself clickable, but here is the link to the announcement. www.texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/11236599/Winter_Bank_Fishing_%28_Creeks_&#Post11236599
Posted By: Ranger2000

Re: new to DFW - 12/05/15 10:38 PM

Hey Mike we also just relocated not long ago. I try to get out and go fishing a few times a week. I have been hitting lake lewisville as it is about 10 min drive to the lake. Not sure if your interested in going out sometime but if so give me a ring (414)380-1986. I usually launch on the boat ramp of of 380
Posted By: Jhuffmaster

Re: new to DFW - 12/10/15 07:06 PM

I also just joined the forum.... I am in the DFW area workin, I am from the Alabama Gulf Coast and only fish saltwater mostly offshore. Do not have my boat or anything up here with me. my wife is coming up I am going to have her bring me a couple rods so I can go kill some time on the banks...... Any advice of where to go would be awesome!!!
Posted By: ifeliciano

Re: new to DFW - 12/11/15 04:51 PM

Guys welcome to Texas. Check out the Bank Fishing sub-forum. There is a "sticky" thread with a google map marked with bank fishing locations around Texas, DFW included.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/6012810/1
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: new to DFW - 12/11/15 09:48 PM

welcome
Posted By: Mulkey

Re: new to DFW - 12/11/15 10:12 PM

welcome
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum