Texas Fishing Forum

Conroe tomorrow?

Posted By: Mr. Incredible

Conroe tomorrow? - 11/02/15 12:41 AM

Thinking of heading to Conroe in the morning and since I'm new I've gotta ask - will all the rain in the last couple of days make for a good or bad day fishing? We've had several inches here and I'm curious what that'll do to the bite.
Posted By: richg

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/02/15 02:58 AM

Can't answer for Conroe (though I am very interested in your results).

I was worried about the rains, as you are, so I headed to Fayette county lake twice this last week. It doesn't seem to have any inflow from any major creeks. I did well (for me ) with 9 one day and 11 another. Nothing very big.

I'd much prefer to go to Conroe as it would save me a lot of time.

Please post your results, assuming you went.

I headed to West Galveston bay today and did very poorly in an all-day rain. richg
Posted By: RHP

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/02/15 04:29 PM

I may go out this afternoon and planning on working the bulkheads and piers north and east of 1097. I need to run the boat but sure do wish the sun would come out.
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/02/15 04:54 PM

I was there the other day and did very good bass fishing. What are you going after?

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/02/15 09:34 PM

Went out this morning and was not expecting the wind to be like it was. Tried the north end and the jungle across from Cagle before deciding the wind was just too much. Moved over to a protected cove and struck out both places. I had to come home earlier than I'd hoped to to take care of some honey do's. No sooner than I was leaving the marina the sun came out and the wind died off considerably. Just my luck. Next time I'll be able to go won't be for another couple of weeks and hopefully my luck will change. About ready to drop the bass fishing and start crappie catching.
I'm starting to wonder if I'm going too early. Maybe late afternoon or early evening would be better?
Posted By: H-TownCrappieMan

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/03/15 06:25 PM

Man, had a similar experience. We launched and drove about 10 MPH across cove. Boat rocked so much, we decided to just leave in less than 20 minutes. Could not find a peaceful inlet.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/04/15 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Incredible
Thinking of heading to Conroe in the morning and since I'm new I've gotta ask - will all the rain in the last couple of days make for a good or bad day fishing? We've had several inches here and I'm curious what that'll do to the bite.

I used to catch lots of fish on Conroe using the drainage culvert pattern. Find the drains and you find the fish.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/05/15 01:41 AM

I finally got out Tuesday around 9:30 after fog lifted and headed south of 1097 and fished around the paddleboat and docks at Sunset Resort and got two one pounders on blue G-tail worms. Moved down around the south side of the condos and hooked one but lost it.

Moved down to the big inlet east of the dam just to look around. Not familiar with the area but looks promising.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/05/15 09:38 AM

Is there a launch near the 1097 bridge? I've only launched off of 1375 and off of 105. thanks richg
Posted By: nwest10

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/05/15 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: richg
Is there a launch near the 1097 bridge? I've only launched off of 1375 and off of 105. thanks richg

There are a few near it. First one is at the Shell station on 1097 right before the small bridge on Lewis Creek cove. I believe there is a $10 launch fee. At the end of FM830 there is a public ramp with no fee that puts you in Lewis Creek cove just north of the light house at Seven Coves. Across the 1097 bridge on the West side there is another public ramp at Scotts Ridge. ( this puts you in above 1097 in Caney Creek ) I think this one may also have a fee, but not sure. There are ramps on the East & West side of the 1097 bridge, but both may be private.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/06/15 12:46 PM

Thanks, any safety issues that you know of? richg
Posted By: nwest10

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/06/15 01:41 PM

The Shell station is pretty safe, but has limited parking area. Scotts Ridge is kind of isolated with no security and I've heard stories of trucks being broken into. The 830 ramp is in a pretty open area with a lot of traffic since it's basically a loop at the end of FM830, but I have not heard about any issues. There is a private marina on the right just before you get to the 830 ramp and I believe you can launch there for a fee. It's secure and probably one of the safest places to park. If you are talking more about boating hazards the Scotts Ridge ramp is good, but it puts you right into Caney creek which is full of trees and stumps. If you follow the contour of the south bank coming out of Caney Creek to the main lake it's the safest route in and out. The rest of the ramps are pretty much in open clear areas so no boating hazards.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/09/15 10:45 PM

My wife and I went out Sunday evening for a couple of hours and although she got skunked, I netted five including two very nice 3.5 pounders. We were using G-tails and fishing in 5-7 feet of water. The only reason we quit was because it was getting dark and she wanted to get back to the lakehouse. Wish I could have gone out this morning, too, but I had a list of honey-do's to get done.
Just wish she had caught some, too. Not really... banana

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/10/15 01:08 AM

Where did you fish?

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/10/15 01:14 AM

Eh...um...north of 1097.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/10/15 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: nwest10
The Shell station is pretty safe, but has limited parking area. Scotts Ridge is kind of isolated with no security and I've heard stories of trucks being broken into. The 830 ramp is in a pretty open area with a lot of traffic since it's basically a loop at the end of FM830, but I have not heard about any issues. There is a private marina on the right just before you get to the 830 ramp and I believe you can launch there for a fee. It's secure and probably one of the safest places to park. If you are talking more about boating hazards the Scotts Ridge ramp is good, but it puts you right into Caney creek which is full of trees and stumps. If you follow the contour of the south bank coming out of Caney Creek to the main lake it's the safest route in and out. The rest of the ramps are pretty much in open clear areas so no boating hazards.

Can't speak for now, but when I was on Conroe a lot that public ramp at the end of 830 was a little crime hotspot. You might want to check with the Sheriff's Office about burglaries and thefts there; I have no idea if it's still that bad.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/10/15 10:22 PM

Lots of people report thefts at 830 ramp. Scott's Ridge IS patrolled by police! I have seen them MANY times. They even sit at the gate sometimes and check speed limits of cars coming in. You are safer at Scott's than 830 but I launch at 830 all the time without incident. I usually launch at night during the week and have no issues with break ins. Of course I have an alarm and I take everything out of my car. Common sense to not leave stuff in site for them to want to take.
Posted By: Jkrez

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/10/15 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: RHP
Eh...um...north of 1097.

lol

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/13/15 01:13 AM

Sorry to be so evasive but every time I give out locations I end up not getting fish there anymore because it's packed with other fishermen. Lesson learned the hard way.

But on a positive note, the G-tails work better than anything I used out there.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/15/15 03:13 AM

Went out yesterday...north of 1097...and got into a school chasing shad. Caught five including a 3.5. Was only out an hour or so right before dusk.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/16/15 10:28 AM

Darn, and I went to Freeport and got skunked. Should have headed North. thanks for the report. richg
Posted By: tcwest

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/17/15 06:27 AM

Sorry to be so evasive but every time I give out locations I end up not getting fish there anymore because it's packed with other fishermen. Lesson learned the hard way.

But on a positive note, the G-tails work better than anything I used out there.

Could be a dumb question but what is a G Tail? de hmmm I fished Conroe a few days 11/14/15, I caught 5 on the south side.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/18/15 02:46 AM

Zoom makes the G tail. The thickness of the tail creates more vibration as it is retrieved.

Check Tackle Warehouse for color choices.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/21/15 12:44 AM

Went out yesterday - beautiful day on the lake. Did see one strange thing while out - a pleasure boat hauling butt going north right down the middle of the lake. Thought for sure he'd turn before he got to the jungle area but he kept going. I'm not sure how far up he got but he was in the thick of it and turned right - away from the normal boat lane before heading north again. All at a good clip. I kept waiting to hear a distant thud but never did. About ten minutes after I stopped watching him here he comes. Right down the middle again going full out. Either he had enough speed to clear all the submerged timber or he was the luckiest son of a buck I've ever seen. I wonder if he hit anything or if he knows something I don't. I never saw him swerve or change course except for the right turn.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/23/15 03:05 AM

Dumb luck?

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 11/24/15 05:41 AM

Went out to check on things at the lake house and happy to report Conroe is up at least a foot or more thanks to all the rains. Beautiful day out, smooth water and only saw one boat out. It was too cold for me but I admire his desire.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/02/15 11:20 PM

Water is up some more and I've never seen so many baitfish in our creek. Last night the entire surface of the water was alive and there were so many big splashes that I finally tossed out a black/blue spinnerbait and on the second cast I pulled in a nice 2-pounder. Three casts later, another 2-lb. If the phone hadn't wrung with urgent news, I'd probably still be out there.

Fortunately, the call was good news.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/06/15 01:37 AM

Went out @ 3:30 but there must have been a mini-tourney because there quite a few boats out. I had a place in mind and ducked in. Only caught one small bass before my low voltage warning light came on. Had to head back to put some water in the main battery.

I kept seeing boats hauling a** here and there and all I could think was they were overlooking some great spots. But I wasn't going to tell them.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/06/15 03:27 AM

I'm going to try tomorrow. Went out about a week ago and caught five just a bit too small to brag on. Hoping for better luck tomorrow. Picked up some chatter baits at bass pro this afternoon while I was out. Maybe try tossing one around.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/06/15 11:38 PM

Lots of boats on the water today. Of course with such beautiful weather what else would you expect? Today was polar opposite of the last time I went. Last time was jerk baits and rattle traps fished fast in deep water (caught 5) today was stick worms in the shallows. Both days were good if nothing else just to be on the water. Today there wasn't a cloud in the sky while last time was cold overcast and light mist. Learning more every time I try.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/07/15 12:57 AM

Decent day on the water and Mrs. RHP finally broke her drought (by listening to me) with two nice 2-lb'ers. Tossing shallow diver and then 6-inch "green" worms. Sorry, I rarely pay attention to the color names. I just grab a bag, decide on color and use it.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/14/15 02:13 AM

Went out to check on the lake house today after the storms and tornado yesterday. Happy to find no damage other than leaves on the ground and to see the lake is up 6 more inches. It is the first time I've ever had to step UP to get in my boat while it was in the water. Hopefully SJRA won't draw it way down again.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/14/15 03:54 AM

Thinking about going out tomorrow. Think Conroe will be worth the trip?
Posted By: jitterbug1

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/15/15 03:13 PM

With the water treatment plant open now. The lake level will always fluctuate. (Three to ten feet)They have been trying to drill wells on the north end to keep a steady flow of fresh water in the lake but have only found salt water.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/15/15 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: jitterbug1
With the water treatment plant open now. The lake level will always fluctuate. (Three to ten feet)They have been trying to drill wells on the north end to keep a steady flow of fresh water in the lake but have only found salt water.

A friend of mine talked to someone that works for the SJRA and he told him that they are only going to be allowed to take 6" of water a year from the lake but who knows the truth
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/16/15 02:39 AM

I was out on the lake yesterday afternoon from around 2 til dark. Tried a few new baits with no luck and then whipped out the trusty Carolina Rig and caught some decent fish and had 1 about 6 or 7 lbs shake off at the boat

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/16/15 03:16 PM

I went out yesterday too. Caught a 18.5" 3#er and another smaller one. Both on jerk baits. Had some really good strikes on top water frogs late in the afternoon but couldn't buy a bite on worms.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/17/15 12:31 AM

I went out yesterday too. Caught a 18.5" 3#er and another smaller one. Both on jerk baits. Had some really good strikes on top water frogs late in the afternoon but couldn't buy a bite on worms.

thumb

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/18/15 01:08 AM

Well today was the exact opposite experience as a couple days ago. Today I couldn't buy a bite on hard plastics of any sort so with about an hour and a half left in my fishing day I swapped over to worms and tried the shallows. Wow what a difference! Caught several small ones on several different worms. None were worth keeping or bragging about but all were fun to catch! Really it kinda made my day go from bad to good. Besides the day was perfect for fishing.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/23/15 03:32 AM

I had every intention to get on the water today. Got the boat ready, engine warming up, drinks stowed and just about to bring out the rods and tackle bag when the phone rings.

Lovin' Wife: "Can you swing by Kroger before dinner and then swing by Penneys and Walmart and pick up a few things?"

Faithful Husband: "Eh, I am literally in the boat about to head out."

Wife: "Well, how long will THAT take?"

Me: "All afternoon, if I'm lucky."

Wife: "Well, what if tell you you'll get lucky tonight if you do this for me?"

Pause.

Wife: "Are you still there, sweetheart?"

She threw in "sweetheart".

Wife: "And a massage?"

Damn.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/24/15 03:43 AM

The fish aren't going anywhere. Sounds like you got the best deal anyway.
I thought about going out too but my wife just started her vacation and I'd rather spend the afternoon here with her and "work" my way to bugging her so much she suggests strongly that I go. At that point who am I to deny my wife? It's always better when she thinks it's her idea anyway!

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/24/15 09:03 PM

The fish aren't going anywhere. Sounds like you got the best deal anyway.
I thought about going out too but my wife just started her vacation and I'd rather spend the afternoon here with her and "work" my way to bugging her so much she suggests strongly that I go. At that point who am I to deny my wife? It's always better when she thinks it's her idea anyway!
cheers
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/24/15 10:44 PM

This morning...Crappie were holding at 15-20 feet down in 19-30 foot of water and were biting lightly. Water temp was about 62 for the morning. Caught 4 around submerged trees and stumps. Water was calm as could be and little to no wind.
Good luck.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 12/25/15 02:46 AM

I wish I would've gone. Stayed home and watched two very boring movies on Amazon. But on the bright side church service was nice tonight.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 01/05/16 02:20 AM

Wife and I went out Sunday afternoon and it choppy and chilly but she hadn't been out since before Christmas. We went up past Corinthian Point and got battered by waves and wind but I was catching bass on C-tails in green and reeling them back slow. Poor Mrs. RHP refused to switch from her silver crank bait and didn't get bit once; meanwhile I had boated three in a row. She can be hard-headed (what??) but after seeing my fourth fish, 2-lb, she switched over. By then the bite had moved.

Relocated to a cove inside Weir Creek and she went back to the crank bait- nada. Me? Nailed a 3-lb in two feet of water on the same worm and then had a nice 3-4 lb break me off around a post. By then, Mrs. RHP was pouting, claiming she was freezing. We headed back @ 5pm.

As windy and choppy as it was, I am surprised I got any bites at all.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 01/05/16 03:38 AM

roflmao That's why I leave my wife at home this time of year. I'm gunna go out a couple times in the middle of this week. Gotta love shift work. cheers
Posted By: H-TownCrappieMan

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 01/06/16 08:07 PM

You know that saying about Peace in the daytime . . night time etc. Please make mamma happy!!!

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 01/10/16 11:17 PM

Went out Saturday morning once the fog lifted a bit and headed across to the national forest side. Only caught one but she was a personal best for me on Conroe. Just shy of 5-lbs. caught her on a 6-inch Zoom speed worm, watermelon red. I'd post a photo but I can't quite figure out the procedure. I was a C- math student.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 01/11/16 01:15 PM

I've been pondering going out but my last trip (cold and wet) is still too fresh in my mind. And this week I'm off but each day has something I must do smack in the middle of the day so my days are pretty much shot. If I can swing it tomorrow will be my only opportunity for the next couple of weeks. My MTB should show up this week (Christmas gift from my wife) so I will have some new toys to play with. If my fingers aren't too cold to tie a knot. I've just got to get past the mental side of the cold weather. I'm ready for the spring thaw and spawn!

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 01/12/16 04:59 AM

I'm going to put the boat in the shop for yearly maintainence and installation of my new depth finder so I'll wait to read how y'all do.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 01/12/16 11:12 PM

Went out today - nice day for a boat ride. Caught a few small ones on various lures & worms. Just never "got comfortable" with anything I was throwing.
Had a late start and didn't get on the water til after nine the was pulling out a bit before three. Fished the north end and really just enjoyed the beautiful day and the weather was perfect. After a while my shoulder started acting up so I ran down to the south end to look around then brought it home. Lake looks pretty good and it seems that although it's still a bit high the lake level has settled out.

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 01/15/16 05:39 AM

I'm gunna go out tomorrow and probably Saturday. I sure wish I knew the safe passage to get up to the northern parts of the lake. Didn't somebody post a map with a trail on it a few months back to show the safe route?
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 01/15/16 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: RodBreaker
I'm gunna go out tomorrow and probably Saturday. I sure wish I knew the safe passage to get up to the northern parts of the lake. Didn't somebody post a map with a trail on it a few months back to show the safe route?

Here's the link.

http://www.lakeconroe.com/hazard-map/

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 01/16/16 03:40 AM

I'm going to tell a story on myself as penance for laughing at others who have become one the boat ramp follies.

Today I decided it was time to get the boat onto the trailer and take it over for yearly maintainance and installation of my new Lowrance. But my backseater was a no-show and I had to do it myself. Okay, no big deal. Done it a hundred times. So first I had to take the trailer over to the launch then walk back and get the boat out of the slip for the short drive over to the launch. Simple enough...he said.

By the time I arrived back at the launch, there was one other boat being pulled out so I tied off and helped him. The wind was up and his wife was busy on her phone so I lent a hand. I had asked him to help me and he agreed until his wife complained that she needed to go p-p really bad. So I was on my own.

I back the trailer down and went over to start the boat when I realized I hadn't tied off very well and the boat was slipped away from the dock. Fortunately the wind blew it back towards me and I hopped in, cranked it up and headed to the trailer. I noticed three people had showed up to fish from the other dock and I tried to keep my movements down to a minimum. But I missed my first try by a foot and nearly overran the trailer. Dumb mistake. So I went around for another shot and just as I eased up close the wind came up and blew me off the line. Attempt #3 was just as bad and I probably cussed a bit. The fishermen were trying hard not to giggle and I appreciated that.

Attempt #4 was so close...so close that I thought I was on the money but I was off by a foot again. Backing carefully and probably cussing some more, I turned for attempt #5. Somehow I missed again and this time the guys were laughing out loud. Attempt #6 was as smooth as can be and I jumped up to hook it up to the trailer. Now the guys are saying things like "turn off the motor" "Lift the engine first" "take the parking brake off" and other unhelpful jabs. But, heck, I had to laugh at myself and they were being good natured about it so I pulled the boat out with a wave and a shake of my head.

Boy howdy, I'm never gonna laugh (out loud) at anybody else when they are going thru boat launch follies.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 01/16/16 04:14 AM

I'm going to tell a story on myself as penance for laughing at others who have become one the boat ramp follies.

Today I decided it was time to get the boat onto the trailer and take it over for yearly maintainance and installation of my new Lowrance. But my backseater was a no-show and I had to do it myself. Okay, no big deal. Done it a hundred times. So first I had to take the trailer over to the launch then walk back and get the boat out of the slip for the short drive over to the launch. Simple enough...he said.

By the time I arrived back at the launch, there was one other boat being pulled out so I tied off and helped him. The wind was up and his wife was busy on her phone so I lent a hand. I had asked him to help me and he agreed until his wife complained that she needed to go p-p really bad. So I was on my own.

I back the trailer down and went over to start the boat when I realized I hadn't tied off very well and the boat was slipped away from the dock. Fortunately the wind blew it back towards me and I hopped in, cranked it up and headed to the trailer. I noticed three people had showed up to fish from the other dock and I tried to keep my movements down to a minimum. But I missed my first try by a foot and nearly overran the trailer. Dumb mistake. So I went around for another shot and just as I eased up close the wind came up and blew me off the line. Attempt #3 was just as bad and I probably cussed a bit. The fishermen were trying hard not to giggle and I appreciated that.

Attempt #4 was so close...so close that I thought I was on the money but I was off by a foot again. Backing carefully and probably cussing some more, I turned for attempt #5. Somehow I missed again and this time the guys were laughing out loud. Attempt #6 was as smooth as can be and I jumped up to hook it up to the trailer. Now the guys are saying things like "turn off the motor" "Lift the engine first" "take the parking brake off" and other unhelpful jabs. But, heck, I had to laugh at myself and they were being good natured about it so I pulled the boat out with a wave and a shake of my head.

Boy howdy, I'm never gonna laugh (out loud) at anybody else when they are going thru boat launch follies.

I gladly would have taken that over what happened when I tried to go fishin this evening. I tried to back my boat off the trailer and it wouldnt go into gear. I think my lower unit has gone out on me frown

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 02/08/16 02:01 PM

It's so nice and sunny I'm really wanting to go out and snag some fishing time. But....the wind is forecast to pick up to dangerous speeds today so I'll just have to wait.

What was the name of that tackle shop around Conroe? Can't remember but I want to go and check out their used reels and see the place. Was it called Grampa's or Ol' Joe's or something like that?

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 02/09/16 02:44 AM

Dad's Ole Tackle
16245 FM 1484
Conroe.
936-264-4167

Re: Conroe tomorrow? - 02/09/16 03:19 PM

Thanks. I'll go check it out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum