Texas Fishing Forum

Odd find in Lake Somerville

Posted By: Stetson_mg

Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/20/15 03:29 AM

My lady and I were out on kayaks setting some lines early Sunday morning when I came across this floating in the open water.

After closer inspection, some rope and a LOT of paddling we pulled this beauty onto the bank... No open wounds or anything. I've never seen a deer that drowned in the lake before so thought I'd see if others had ever come across such a thing. Shame that this young buck had to go to waste.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/20/15 03:34 AM

No telling what happened there. He obviously made some mistakes. Nature can unforgiving.

He had potential too.
Posted By: jafish

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/20/15 05:13 AM

Have seen two out there in a lake crossing. Have even seen one go over a spillway and live to get out below shake off then walk away. Saw one driven off a cliff by coyotes and jump into a small lake swim across get out run off saving it's own life. I'm 70 years old so time on lakes has let me witness several deer in water. It's only reasonable that some must unfortunately drown.
Posted By: Kevin R.

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/20/15 09:33 AM

I wonder if he was ran hard by something into the lake and he tired out mid way?
Posted By: 1961Yaloo

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/20/15 01:40 PM

I have seen deer that are fevered get in the water. Might have happened here. Believe it or not they are pretty good swimmers. My guess is that he was sick and looking for some relief.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/20/15 05:09 PM

welcome

Interesting post

I kayak fish Lake Somerville as well.
Posted By: Perchy Perch

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/20/15 05:59 PM

That must have been one heck of work out.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/20/15 06:13 PM

I have seen deer crossing in water several times over the years but I have never seen one dead in the water! hmmm
Posted By: Timberking

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/20/15 07:12 PM

I would agree on the fever diagnosis.
Posted By: Stetson_mg

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/21/15 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: 1961Yaloo
I have seen deer that are fevered get in the water. Might have happened here. Believe it or not they are pretty good swimmers. My guess is that he was sick and looking for some relief.

I honestly never thought of that.
Posted By: gatorbait19

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/21/15 04:05 PM

forty years ago as a teenager, my dad and I went out to run our trotline we had set out between the bank and an island on the Ouachita river in Arkansas. we seen a doe swimming in the area of our trotline. as we got closer we realized she was swimming but wasn't going anywhere. she had one of our trotline hooks hung in her back leg. my dad paddled up to her and grabbed her by the leg and cut the hook out of her. she swam on to the island and took off.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/22/15 12:10 PM

On Toledo earlier this year I left Alpine and was heading out towards the main lake and saw something swimming. I got closer and it was a spotted fawn. When I got close I turned it back towards the other bank and followed it up. He/she climbed up, shook off and gave me a look!

Never know what we will see on the water.
Posted By: Fishbreeder

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/22/15 01:13 PM

About ten yeas go a deer was seen in the mouth of a large alligator in a lake in Georgia...

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/alligators/ss/Alligator-and-Deer-in-Cross-Lake.htm#step1
Posted By: SpidyChamp

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/22/15 01:19 PM

When I was in the Coast Guard stationed in Oregon & Washington they used to cross the Columbia River which is 4 1/2 miles wide. Some would make it and some would not. There was a very strong current they had to tackle as well. That is a shame as that is a pretty good looking rack. To bad you didn't find it sooner>> chef
Posted By: WillCFish on the tube

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/27/15 10:56 PM

I have seen Deer swim across pretty good size bodies of water. Especially during rutting season. Not impossible it winded somthing on the other side and the waves took him down.
Posted By: Freeman Clark

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/28/15 03:43 AM

In my younger days I could swim a cross a good size lake in rutting season.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Odd find in Lake Somerville - 10/28/15 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Freeman Clark
In my younger days I could swim a cross a good size lake in rutting season.
laugh
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum