Texas Fishing Forum

What type Line for type of fishing

Posted By: TXsundance

What type Line for type of fishing - 10/18/15 06:19 PM

I'm getting back into fishing and trying to get opinions on preferred line types for particular fishing methods. I've got about 6 baitcasters I'm outfitting and four spinning reels. So what do you like for T-Rigs, crankbaits, jigs, topwater, swimbaits, spinners baits and so forth. I've outfitted a couple of my reels with 35lb braid (Cabelas brand), but I'm not real happy with it's characteristics. So brand names as well as types would be appreciated!
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: What type Line for type of fishing - 10/18/15 06:56 PM

For nearly all of my fishing, I use the basics. My line of choice is Trilene Big Game green mono in 12 to 15 pound range. You can spend a lot more on fancier lines, but this has been good to me for years.
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: What type Line for type of fishing - 10/19/15 12:02 AM

For braid I like Power Pro,used it for years never had a problem
I don't use mono, but I use copolymer line Silver Thread AN 40 and Excalibur
Fluoro I use Silver Thread

Have used silver thread for at least 20yrs never been let down by it
Posted By: Mulkey

Re: What type Line for type of fishing - 10/19/15 12:30 AM

All fluoro 12 to 20 #s
Posted By: Brad R

Re: What type Line for type of fishing - 10/19/15 01:35 AM

I normally use spinning tackle: Sufix 832 braid, 10 lbs., to a Seaguar Invizx fluorocarbon leader, 8 lbs. Finesse stuff.

If I were going to use monofilament, and some of the new ones are really great, my favorite is Sufix Elite.

Brad

Re: What type Line for type of fishing - 10/19/15 04:50 AM

So do any of you use specific types of line for certain types of fishing. I understand braid for pulling them out of heavy cover, but any specific reason to use fluorocarbon other than leaders? Any preference of line for topwater or soft plastics?

How often do you put on new line, how long will you use line that has been stored in your garage/tacklebox?
Posted By: Ricky J.

Re: What type Line for type of fishing - 10/22/15 02:41 AM

I prefer mono on topwater, fluoro on bottom baits. sometimes on C-rig I use fluoro line with a mono leader. simple rule mono floats fluoro sinks.

Re: What type Line for type of fishing - 10/22/15 02:13 PM

Ricky,
So for crankbaits fluorocarbon or mono?
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: What type Line for type of fishing - 10/22/15 04:05 PM

I use Power Pro too, I order it from the internet that way I can get the length I want and not stuck to Walmart's 150 yds on a spool.
Posted By: Ricky J.

Re: What type Line for type of fishing - 10/22/15 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: TXsundance
Ricky,
So for crankbaits fluorocarbon or mono?

Deep divers - fluoro
shallow / square bill - mono or fluoro. try it both ways and see what you like the best. the fluoro is going to let it run a little deeper. not much but I do notice a slight difference.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: What type Line for type of fishing - 10/22/15 11:54 PM

mono
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum