Texas Fishing Forum

Out of State boat buying advice ?

Posted By: STING'UM

Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/01/15 01:18 AM

I recently found a nice boat that I'd like to purchase only to find it will be harder than I thought. My loan officer is reluctant on this purchase. He said that it would be difficult to get everything verified as for as clear title,leans and such! Has anyone been through this and what should I do get this done if the boat is worth it?
Posted By: Capt Jerry

Re: Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/01/15 01:43 AM

I purchased a boat from a dealer in Phoenix. They supplied the paperwork I needed to get Texas titles. If you are not working with a dealer, you will need to be very careful and get things checked out with TPWD BEFORE you close the deal. Just my 2 cents worth.

Re: Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/01/15 02:10 AM

Ok! that's good info! I'll check with TPWL first.
Posted By: richg

Re: Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/01/15 02:51 AM

Out of State.... trailers.... may add their own level of complexities. I am going through that now with a TN trailer.

I need a valid bill of sale and have to have it weighed before they will register it.

I will have to pay sales tax, also. richg99
Posted By: petro

Re: Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/01/15 11:55 AM

Reclending. Com, they will handle everything.
Posted By: tjbubba1

Re: Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/01/15 12:04 PM

reclending has done 2 boats for me smile
Posted By: bccougar

Re: Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/01/15 01:13 PM

I buy a boat out of state every year or two, but it is new. I know on a new boat it is easiest to get the dealer to finance through their local lender and then have your lender pick up the loan at the time of the first payment, if you don't like the outside lender. As far as titles and registration goes, I just fill out the out of state forms from TPWD and get a copy of the BOS and send it in with the money for the taxes and registration and it goes quite smoothly. I cant remember the new guys name at TPWD that handles this, but he will give you step by step instructions if you call him. As far as the trailer goes, if you can get the BOS it will have the weight rating and that helps avoid the inspection. I have not had to have one inspected. Good luck. P.S. be prepared to spend a few minutes on hold if you call the TPWD.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/01/15 05:17 PM

Texas requires a separate title for both boat and motor, some states do not. I would check with TPWD on what you need if you don't get two titles.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/01/15 06:06 PM

Are you buying from a dealer or individual?
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/01/15 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: STING'UM
I recently found a nice boat that I'd like to purchase only to find it will be harder than I thought. My loan officer is reluctant on this purchase. He said that it would be difficult to get everything verified as for as clear title,leans and such! Has anyone been through this and what should I do get this done if the boat is worth it?

I bought one from a gentleman is Colorado, but I paid cash for it. That said, I did talk to the dealer who serviced it before I drove out there. The boat was everything the guy said it was. This might be a silly question, but does the seller have the title in hand? If so, what is your loan officer's beef?

Re: Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/01/15 10:10 PM

I'm buying from an individual and he still owes on it. The bank has a lean on it in New Mexico . So no title in hand !
Posted By: Freeman Clark

Re: Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/02/15 12:00 AM

Sounds like who you are dealing with someone who don't want to do the foot work.
I have bought two out of state boats with no trouble at all. It is done every day with autos with no problems also.
Posted By: JkWho

Re: Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/02/15 12:27 AM

If the boat has a lien on it the deal should be rather easy...It really as simple as your guy calling the bank that owns the boat. They should be able to do everything over the phone to make the deal work. I agree with Freeman, sounds like your guy doesnt want to put a little work into your deal.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/02/15 12:47 AM

Registering in Texas?

You will pay %6.25 tax to have it registered.
Posted By: beastbeason

Re: Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/02/15 03:33 AM

Just went through this last month. IF you get the paperwork right it is not that difficult. You have two processes to go through. One for the boat and motor with TPWD, the other for the trailer with TXDMV. You can find all the forms for the boat and motor on the TPWD website. The forms for the trailer are on the TXDMV website.

You will need a bill of sale broken down with cost of the boat, motor and trailer each listed individually. I just typed out a form that we both signed. It should include the make model and VIN for the boat and motor and the trailer manufacture code or vin which ever is on it. You will also need a statement of release of lien from the sellers bank if there is still a lien on the boat and motor.

Get the titles for each and have them properly signed and notarized if needed. Some states don't title trailers so your bill of sale will cover that.

You register the boat and motor with TPWD and pay a 6.25% "User Fee" on the total cost of the boat and motor if the boat is used and coming from out of state ("tax" if it is new) + title fees. You will register the trailer with TXDOT and pay a 6.25% fee + fees. You can figure all the costs out in advance by when you fill out the forms.

(I loved the "user fee" designation to avoid calling it a tax......)

The boat, motor and trailer have forms that need to signed by the seller so print those out and take them with you when you go to pick up the boat.

I called both the TPWD and TXDMV to make sure I had the correct forms, I printed the forms and filled them out, then took them with me. When I came back I called again to make sure I had all the correct paperwork then took them in with no problems.

Both the Wichita TPWD and Burkburnett Tax offices were very easy to work with and very helpful when I had questions.

Was it a pain in the butt. YES But is was not that difficult.
Posted By: Chemdawg

Re: Out of State boat buying advice ? - 10/02/15 05:38 PM

I bought my boat while i was stationed in GA there they dont title anything they register the boat and the trailer the motor has nothing when i moved here they just made me title the motor and the boat it was easy I kept the bills of sale it was easy just expensive I think it has to do more with your local tax office and how hard they want to make it same thing when i brough my grandfathers truck here from washington
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum