Texas Fishing Forum

TP&W Fishing Reports

Posted By: Bob Landry

TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/10/15 09:44 PM

I have heard that they collect a year or so worth of fishing reports and just recycle the same reports over and over. Can anyone verify this?
Posted By: KutTail71

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/10/15 10:39 PM

Wouldn't be surprised. I've seen some "reports" that were not even close. Lake level, water clarity way outdated!
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/10/15 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
I have heard that they collect a year or so worth of fishing reports and just recycle the same reports over and over. Can anyone verify this?

Definitely not true. The reports are done under a contract for TPWD by a private agency which collects current reports from its sources.

Some of the sources are marina operators and others who depend upon the fishing public for a living. Those people are going to understandably be reluctant to report the fishing is lousy. On the whole the reporters try to give an accurate report, and if the reports are consistently poor in quality the reporters are replaced.

There is a time lag of about a week in the process which accounts for some of the problems. By the way, the owners of this forum are also the people who do the reports. I think they do a good job and we should be grateful for them.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/11/15 01:11 AM

Sure seems like recycled info to me as well, they are like broken records.
Posted By: rexmitchell

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/11/15 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Smithaven
Originally Posted By: Bob Landry

Definitely not true. The reports are done under a contract for TPWD by a private agency which collects current reports from its sources.

Some of the sources are marina operators and others who depend upon the fishing public for a living. Those people are going to understandably be reluctant to report the fishing is lousy. On the whole the reporters try to give an accurate report, and if the reports are consistently poor in quality the reporters are replaced.

There is a time lag of about a week in the process which accounts for some of the problems. By the way, the owners of this forum are also the people who do the reports. I think they do a good job and we should be grateful for them.

Interesting so when the government shutdown for over a week and basically every COE lake was closed, how is it that the fishing reports kept on a coming from those lakes?
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/11/15 04:24 AM

Yup they are rarely right, maybe in the spring.
Posted By: slim1

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/11/15 11:34 AM

Those reports are terrible. Last year they were reporting the fishing was great on Cooper. Finding schools on the humps and catching catfish on trot lines. The truth was the lake was so low all boat ramps was closed and no one was out on the water. Don't believe everything you read.
Posted By: DCmac

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/11/15 05:16 PM

Can't say anything about TX reports.
Will say about Okla reports that 99% of the time they look like pure BS from my perspectve.
May be TX isn't much different.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/11/15 08:00 PM

Not a big TPWD fan. Have seen no TPWD improvements in our 2 local fisheries in 12 years. 2cents
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/11/15 10:29 PM

Lake Brownwood good 50 weeks out of 52
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/12/15 02:34 AM

Funny how they always say crappie fishing is good on Lake Conroe and that is a JOKE
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/12/15 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: RodBreaker
Funny how they always say crappie fishing is good on Lake Conroe and that is a JOKE

Keep thinking that... More fillets for my freezer. grin Start fishing in mid January, choose a creek and you'll slay 'em.
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/14/15 03:39 PM

Yep and they say Lake Granger is always clear, I've been fishing that lake since it was impounded and it's never been clear. I also notice that they try to push the same lures, sounds like someone has their hand in the cookie jar!!!
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/14/15 03:42 PM

Just got to take them with a grain of salt....they just seem the same A Lot
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/14/15 04:57 PM

I asked TP&W why Lake Texana never had a report, and they replied they get reports from marinas, fishermen, and mostly guides and there wasn't anyone at Texana that would report. And as expected, guides and marinas are going to say it's good because that's their business. TP&W did say if someone is interested in reporting each week, they would welcome the help.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/14/15 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: DCmac
Can't say anything about TX reports.
Will say about Okla reports that 99% of the time they look like pure BS from my perspectve.
May be TX isn't much different.

Oklahoma gets their reports from the game wardens assigned to that body of water.
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/15/15 07:45 PM

Honestly the TFF and the internet have pretty much made the TPWD report worthless. Where else is a fisherman likely to be in contact with 1000's of other fishermen in near real time 24/7/365. The TFF is a gold mine of current and historical information about nearly every drop of fishable water in Texas.
Posted By: JOHND

Re: TP&W Fishing Reports - 09/17/15 05:47 PM

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum