Texas Fishing Forum

Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing?

Posted By: 79scooter

Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/13/15 03:53 AM

I typically fish from my kayak, but since it isn't allowed... I would have to bank it. I have heard that there are parts of the lake that u can walk on the tilapia. I guess my question is, is the bank fishing for tilapia good from the park bank?

Thanks in advance,
Scooter
Posted By: Hook in Mouth

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/13/15 10:49 AM

If you could get to the north side of the lake, where the main creek channel comes in.....you could catch hundreds of them without trying.

Watch out for gators, tho.
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/13/15 01:29 PM

What do you use to catch them
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/13/15 04:35 PM

haven't read all the rules, why can't you fish Squaw Creek from a Kayak.

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/14/15 04:07 AM

Thanks for the information guys. Not sure how I would get up on the north end with our my kayak. I'll just have to give the park a try. Fishing is still better than most anything else
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/15/15 01:37 PM

Get a small hook and some worms and go to the bridge on county road 302 below the dam and catch all you want. A long crappie pole works best.
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/15/15 05:13 PM

Is cast netting for talapia allowed at Squaw Creek?
Thanks
Posted By: 361V

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/16/15 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: roadtrip
Is cast netting for talapia allowed at Squaw Creek?
Thanks
Yes
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/17/15 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Hancock
Get a small hook and some worms and go to the bridge on county road 302 below the dam and catch all you want. A long crappie pole works best.

Is there much bank access there? I've seen it on maps, but never fished down there before.

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/17/15 10:48 PM

There is plenty of bank fishing but only within the park boundaries.

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/18/15 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer

Is there much bank access there? I've seen it on maps, but never fished down there before.

All private property except for the bridge.

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/18/15 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
There is plenty of bank fishing but only within the park boundaries.

Were not talking about in the park.

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/18/15 03:43 PM

Thanks for the information. May have to drive down there later this week and look around. As long as there is a good place to park off the road and I can get down to the water without breaking my neck, it sounds like an easy get away for a few hours.

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/18/15 09:52 PM

Thanks for the information. May have to drive down there later this week and look around. As long as there is a good place to park off the road and I can get down to the water without breaking my neck, it sounds like an easy get away for a few hours.
You can access Squaw Creek easily from C.R. 302. There is parking and a nice little pool directly below the bridge but that is all. No other access to the creek. Look at close up on Google Maps. My boys grew up fishing this area. I'm at work at the fire station and get a call from one and the conversation starts: "dad, remember when you said state law allows access to navigable waterways and you are not trespassing if you stay in the river bed"?(He's referring to my many trips down the Devil's River). "Dad, we waded and never got out of Squaw Creek". Well turns out the No Tresspassing sign by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission on the fence just upstream from the 302 bridge trumps any other rules or laws I may have heard about. They were about at the base of the dam when the adventure went bad. Since 911 they have no sense of humor! County sheriff took them from the plant security and "held" them until a parent could come get them. Kind of hard to get too mad when your boys are in trouble for fishing! Those fences must mean the really good fishing is just on the other side, right? So, if you want to wade the creek...wade DOWNSTREAM! :-)

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/19/15 01:15 AM

Hey fish killer, shoot me a report if you go... I'd appreciate it.

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/19/15 02:37 AM

I'll shoot a pic tomorrow and post it so you will know what to expect.

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/22/15 01:52 AM

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/22/15 02:59 PM

Thanks for the picture. Beautiful spot. I will have to venture that way. Thanks again
Posted By: SamCollins123

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 08/22/15 05:54 PM

Nice spot bro
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 10/09/15 06:19 PM

Any new reports from Squaw ?
Posted By: buton

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 10/09/15 06:26 PM

Ask the asian crew that fish for tilapia... they are really funny...
Posted By: Demfishes

Re: Squaw Creek Tilapia fishing? - 10/10/15 12:07 AM

Game warden is on to them... checks them everytime they leave.. last time I was there they got 3 tickets each.. one for illegal cast net, 1 for undersized black bass, 3 for catching the bass by cast net.. they had 6 undersized bass in the coolers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum