Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing Conservation For Tomorrow's Youth

Posted By: FishyB

Fishing Conservation For Tomorrow's Youth - 07/14/15 04:05 PM

Howdy guys.

I am flying a weather balloon here to get y'alls input for a non-profit fishing conservation program for the next generation that I am looking to develop.

I was fly fishing with my 13 year old son the other night on a local neighborhood community pond and a nice gentleman started talking to us about how his goal as a fisherman was obviously to catch fish, but teach the young ones about fishing and making sure that they had fish to catch so they can pass it on. The more I thought about what this gentleman was saying, he is right, we need to really leave something behind and better than we have it today.

I started thinking about this and even used the Googler to see if there is really any programs that are doing this. It seems that either you have conservation or you have youth programs but nothing that encompasses both.

My idea would be for a non-profit group that:

1) Identifies and helps communities stock local ponds / lakes (either by purchasing the fishing out right and supplying them or get communities in touch with the sources)
2) Assists communities with current conservation needs to continue a successful fishing producing program
3) Teaches youth how to fish, about fish and the reasoning behind conservation for our waters
4) Provides High School scholarship programs for youth
5) Utilizes fishing tournaments to bring fishing and conservation to the communities

Like I mentioned, I am looking for thoughts on whether this would be a viable cause and non-profit. I look forward to hearing any input!

Thanks,
FishyB
Posted By: nethingthatbites

Re: Fishing Conservation For Tomorrow's Youth - 07/14/15 07:38 PM

It all sounds like a great organization. However, the program you are outlining would require a ton of volunteers, supporters, donors, etc...(and not just the oh, I'd like to help types, but biologist and other professionals in related conservation and other fields).

I would suggest starting small with singular goals...maybe as simple as a local under 15yr fishing league, where the 16+ could help the younger kids (5 or so tourneys at nearby tanks) with educational speakers at the events.

From there you could add local outreach/rehab...scholarships...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum